Cooling mountain bases

Started by Tcsisek, June 02, 2015, 10:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tcsisek

I'm making my current colony inside a mountain, but I dont know how to cool it without creating a weak point in my base. Does anyone have any ways to cool a mountain base without putting a cooler in the outer wall?

Xanting

you could cool your living areas and face the exhaust into your mine shafts if you have them around your base and they are large enough to absorb the heat.

Tcsisek

Quote from: Xanting on June 02, 2015, 10:24:54 PM
you could cool your living areas and face the exhaust into your mine shafts if you have them around your base and they are large enough to absorb the heat.
Wouldent that cause the mine shafts to heat up? (Heat only goes away if connected to the outside or by use of a cooler right?) I could easily be wrong though. I'll try that out sometime tomorrow.

Listy

Quote from: Tcsisek on June 02, 2015, 10:12:19 PM
I'm making my current colony inside a mountain, but I dont know how to cool it without creating a weak point in my base. Does anyone have any ways to cool a mountain base without putting a cooler in the outer wall?

Some areas of the mountain will not have roofs so thick, and you can remove them. Use these to create a chimney vent.

Arigas

And depending on the size of your mine, the heat wouldn't even be noticed more than a degree or two.

keylocke

if there is a nearby geothermal vent, i often make a 1 tile unroofed area near the generator (not on top of it), then use the generator room to vent temp outside, since it's gonna be outside the mountain and i'm gonna keep it fortified anyways so there won't be a security gap.

Listy

Quote from: Arigas on June 03, 2015, 07:36:10 AM
And depending on the size of your mine, the heat wouldn't even be noticed more than a degree or two.

Trouble is if you're venting to an indoors area Coolers are much less efficient, so you need a lot more, with a ton more power requirement.

Devon_v

Build a vent shaft that opens out into the entrance area. Use the vent block to prevent it from being an open walkway, put sandbags in front of it, cover with turrets if needed, there are ways of working with cooling needs.

In the case of my base, there are two openings, the main entrance and an enclosed valley where all my solar arrays are. That area is covered with turrets and devoid of cover so anyone dropping in will be unhappy on arrival. Cooling is vented to that area.