On the upcoming Steam release

Started by Jimyoda, July 01, 2015, 02:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimyoda

I discovered via Reddit that there is a new blog post today. Really big news, but there was no mention on the forum here, so just want to link it up.
http://ludeon.com/blog/2015/07/on-the-upcoming-steam-release/
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

RemingtonRyder

Big news indeed! Although, I kind of guessed already, since I'm a tester.

skullywag

He deserves it, not only has he created a wonderful game, hes also made it a modders paradise and managed to maintain a fantastic community around it all, I couldnt have more respect for someone ive never met. Gratz Tynan. (also if i ever make it to your neck of the woods, you ARE meeting me for a beer..:)..)

Also part of me really wants him to come back off his break and go "Time to add some more stuff to Rimworld" but part of me also wants to see what else "ludeon studios" is capable of.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

Thank you very much skullywag :) I appreciate you testers' help as well, very much.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

RickyMartini

You really deserved all of this. Great news, and I'm really interested to see how the reviews will look like. There will probably not be much negative to say, the way you interact with the community is very open and it's foreseeable that this will give you plus points. :)

skullywag

Im looking forward to the reviews, im imagining most of the negative ones will be about the things we on the forums find hilarious....OP Turtles anyone?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Jaxxa

I have to agree, Tynan has created an awesome game and really deserves a rest.

Xerberus86

i just hope that if the game is feature-wise now called "done" that we get some more content for the game. to be honest up till now the game was called alpha and in all intend & purposes is an alpha version. till now the dev developed more & more features for the game, almost entirely focusing on the feature aspect and the mods have filled the game with content. if you compare the amount of CONTENT (not features) compared to the mods all together (for example in the ultimate overhaul modpack) then the vanilla game has about 10-15% content compared to the mods. the problem there is that mods are great and so on, but they can / might get abandoned and are often conflicting with other mods and need some adjustments, that's why some modpacks modify some of them drastically.

one major point of the game was that in vanilla most of the games progression / content was unlocked from the start, i only played back then with the TTM mod and now with the overhaul modpack which includes superior crafting which cuts of the progression in more diverse techs. the game gets some real sense of progression with that. again, content and improved game design coming from the modding community which might or might not be abandoned at some point and most likely have some conflicts with other mods...cause mods are always based of the vanilla game.

i feel like that feature-wise the game might have a good enough amount of content, but it needs more content in terms of animals, factions, weapons (only 7 or 9 i think depending on the wiki) and it REALLY needs a better progression system.

i wish the dev best of luck with his decision and he deserves some rest but at this point i - personally - wouldn't call the game done with the current release.

EDIT: Also the game needs some heavy UI improvements, take a look at the EdB mods, they are practially essentiell to this game. call it beta and add some more content (art really, weapons, animals, etc.) or make a deal with some vanilla-friendly mod makers and intigrate their work into the game. i as a custome just want a well rounded game.....rimworld right now is a great sci-fi simulation game ENGINE, the mods make a well rounded game out of it. its more like mount & blade, just that M&B was more cohesive and well-rounded. don't get me wrong, the game doesn't need a bunch of new features, it has more than enough bones on it...just some more flesh and some ironing out of some smaller holes (progression & UI).

TLHeart

I truly hope Tynan does not release the game as Early Access, then take a 6 month break. Since he feels the game is done, then release it as Beta 1.0. The steam community will have a very negative reaction to the release, as EA, then no updates. Expectations of the new community must be considered. I would hate to see this wonderfully addictive game to get hundreds of negative reviews in the steam forums, which will kill the marketability of rimworld on steam.

Just my humble thoughts on the situation, and knowing just how vicious the steam community is when they think a EA game has been abandoned.

Even releasing it as a beta, people will still expect support, and updates, not 6 months of nothing.

Matthiasagreen

I am actually most excited about the mod growth that will come from a steam release and a 6 month gap in updates that could possibly mess them up. More modders with more time to tinker!

And Tynan has changed his mind about the EA release.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Axelios

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on July 01, 2015, 04:52:53 PM
And Tynan has changed his mind about the EA release.

Really? Is this posted somewhere? Reddit? Blog? Twitter? I want to see. That's noteworthy.
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Matthiasagreen

he mentioned it in the comments. "Just to follow up, based on a bunch of feedback I think I probably will just release it 1.0. It's ready for that. Nothing of substance about what I wrote originally would have changed - it's purely a labeling issue."
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Xerberus86

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on July 01, 2015, 05:06:53 PM
he mentioned it in the comments. "Just to follow up, based on a bunch of feedback I think I probably will just release it 1.0. It's ready for that. Nothing of substance about what I wrote originally would have changed - it's purely a labeling issue."

oh boy, lets hope this 1.0 release isn't this month...content, progression and UI improvements still needed. i don't wanna sound salty buy selling a game which has the greatness you see on youtube videos consists 80-85% of mods and 10-15% of the vanilla game content-wise is kinda risky.

Axelios

I agree - content and UI need polishing and fleshing out. Someone said the features are good but the content is minimal - like there are plenty of bones (features) but it needs more flesh (content).

I really agree with that.

I also agree that EA then 6 month break was a risky idea, and I'm glad he's canned the EA part. He's only human so I can't begrudge the break at all.
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015

Patrykbono20

add achievements to game on steam ?:D