Can you do anything with Bones? Besides bury them?

Started by mc858, July 09, 2015, 02:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimyoda

In Minecraft you can turn bones into bonemeal. Putting bonemeal on plants and trees give them an instant growth boost. That'd be nice to have in RW.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

skullywag

didnt Shinzy have a bone based furniture mods with a crazily punny name?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

leax256

Quote from: Caminha on July 09, 2015, 09:12:18 PM
Quote from: lusername on July 09, 2015, 09:09:54 PM
Yeah, you should be able to make bread out of the bones somehow.
Bread? I'd agree if you had said weapons, but bread?

To the both of you, I think you're refering to the "Jack and the Beanstalk"
The giant said "I'll grind your bones into bread" or something to that effect

Toggle

Bonemeal could be used for helping plants grow like Jimyoda said, or to make weapons, or to make objects such as furniture like chairs, these are good options but it's just how they would be implemented. How many bones would be given from animals, what about the fact bones are different sizes, how would it look, yadda yadda.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Toggle

Quote from: Axelios on July 10, 2015, 11:00:55 PM
Quote from: Zerg HiveMind on July 10, 2015, 06:43:32 PM
The pump should just turn normal soil into the rich stuff BUT at like a stupily slow rate or some thing else i am okay with that but tynan was right it was op at its current form
Quote from: Jaxxa on July 09, 2015, 07:29:38 PM
I think that they were overpowered in their previous implementation, but could be added in a balanced way.
Something that need work from pawns and takes resources.

New workbench that turns bones / food / decomposing animals into fertiliser.
Require pawns to use the fertiliser to build the soil so the process is not completely automatic.

I like these two suggestion. Using a fertilizer pump to maintain rich soil, at the cost of material put in a hopper, like bones etc.

Perhaps the fertilzed area could be produced in a radius, like the snow from an evil ship part, and degrade over time, or perhaps after 1 or two plant growths. It would need to be on existing soil already, as it should only fertilize soil automaticall, not generate soil.

Thoughts?

From the "Bring back fertilizer pumps" thread.  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11199.135 This is the exact page. I think this would be a pretty great idea, add a hopper next to it, put bones it, it increases growth speed of plants within an area by "making the soil richer".
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Futrettamer

the bones thing is from Jack and the beanstalk:

"Fee-fi-fo-fum!
I smell the blood of an Englishman,
Be he alive, or be he dead,
I'll grind his bones to make my bread."

Thane

Also in many stories goblins eat bone bread... Really pointless though as bones have almost no useable calories minus the marrow.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

TheDirge

Bones could be used to make some sort of trap, use the bones of the enemy to kill his friends.

I already imagine a stockpile with decaying corpses and seeing some horrified raider stumble upon on it.

Segrog

You could put all of your bodies in a trophy room, just like I do! And then I usually go and relax in my new corpse room, and start playing Rimworld.

TheDirge

Quote from: Segrog on August 08, 2015, 04:05:45 AM
You could put all of your bodies in a trophy room, just like I do! And then I usually go and relax in my new corpse room, and start playing Rimworld.

Thanks for making me choke on my coffee

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: leax256 on July 10, 2015, 09:00:31 PM
Quote from: Caminha on July 09, 2015, 09:12:18 PM
Quote from: lusername on July 09, 2015, 09:09:54 PM
Yeah, you should be able to make bread out of the bones somehow.
Bread? I'd agree if you had said weapons, but bread?

To the both of you, I think you're refering to the "Jack and the Beanstalk"
The giant said "I'll grind your bones into bread" or something to that effect

Its happened before.... Cant say it had the best outcome...
http://www.troynovant.com/Franson-JM/Essays/Bones-to-Bread.html

RemingtonRyder

Death Furnace can consume any kind of corpse and makes either Ashy Residue or Horrifying Resisdue, both of which can be used to create growable soil.

The catch is that you need to mix in ten units of raw plants per corpse, but it uses no power.