Rain should radically decrease comfort

Started by b0rsuk, July 13, 2015, 02:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Now that we have not just joy but also needs system, I think a long overdue change is making rain very uncomfortable. Pawns should be annoyed having to spend time in the rain. Technically there's no reason to place workshops indoors other than temperature.

I currently have a picnic table in my base. Outdoors wooden table and chairs. The biome is rainforest. They don't deteriorate at all. I think wooden furniture should deteriorate in the rain, giving me a reason to make at least the table out of stone.

Biomes would be more interesting if it worked like I described above. In biomes with relatively mild climates, including rainforest currently, you could place furniture and workshops under rock roofs but technically outdoors. That would shield from rain and temperature is not really a problem.

Making wood vulnerable to rain would also make desert more distinctive, because with absence of rain it would be okay to put furniture outdoors. Maybe too hot to eat, but equipment racks - why not ?

zandadoum

as for persons, i suggest it should depend on persons.

i enjoy rain a lot. my wife doesn't

every person is different

Kaballah

Being outdoors working while getting rained on, or especially sleeping out in the rain, yeah this should generally make people pretty unhappy.

Serviette Union

Jackets, Dusters and Parkas and headgear could also decrease any discomfort effect from being rained on, plus you could then modify that attribute depending on the material. A leather jacket is probably a lot better at keeping the rain off than one made of cloth.

Shinzy

sleeping and eating in rain are biggest things I can think of I don't enjoy at all

but I do love rain!
the bigger the better, I was caught in sudden hailstorm while cycling like month back and had whale of a time!

Being really really wet for too long after you've out of the rain isn't too too fun at all though

Kaballah

Some traits to go along with this:
Storm Chaser (loves being rained on)
... I can't think of anything witty for Hates Being Rained On, sorry

Lonely Rogue

Wicked Witch- Avoids rain to the point of death.
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

b0rsuk

I like rain, but I live in temperate climate. I'm playing a rainforest biome now, and it's raining for days.

Only the best / heavy duty / rubber raincoats can last through a long rain. The off-the-shelf stuff will be soaked in a hour or so.

Kegereneku

I'm not really convinced by the idea of making something like that a full "Trait".

But it made me wonder : What about Hidden trait ?
Those would be minor traits linked to food/temperature/relationship which don't have big importance but could make Pawn feel a little more lively, less predictable.

Though, rethinking about it, what I'm describing here is precisely achieved by Tynan addition of random moods.
Maybe we don't need to make everything deterministic.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

b0rsuk

Ummm, rain is not deterministic. It randomly starts and stops raining. This proposal would make weather and biomes more significant. I like building picnic tables in my colonies and make them eat outdoors, but it just shouldn't be a good idea in biomes like rainforest. What I'm asking for is using a newly added system to achieve this. Tynan uses temporary solutions for some things and removes them once he has an appropriate system in place.

kingtyris

+1 to this idea, I'd like to see the weather system fleshed out in general. Maybe for a given period after a good rainfall, if the temperature rises above say 80 or so degrees then the air is Humid, and pawns have a MUCH lower tolerance for high temperatures and take a mood hit. If it doesn't rain for a long time, then a Drought would occur which would affect non-hydroponic plant growth, and a sudden rainfall could give pawns a mood boost, at least temporarily.

Kegereneku

I agree with your logic B0rsuk but what I meant is that we would know "rain = bad mood". And so know how to counter it (Area).
Said like that it doesn't look like a bad thing, 'its basic gameplay' right ? But good gameplay know what to leave out of the players hand. Good Storytelling as well, there is no suspense if everything goes mechanically along a clearly visible logic.

Aside... I don't think the association of "rain = bad mood" would feel adequate in any biome.
A Desert or an Ice sheet don't have much rain, yet are more inhospitable than a Rainforest which is bursting with life a good omen.
So at best it's random for each colonists and context specific (good rain for the field, bad rain for combat). Leading me to think the random thoughts Tynan added is more efficients.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

b0rsuk

Kegereneku:
Rain = bad mood, more less because it makes people wet and they don't like that, it makes it easier to catch cold etc. It might be less of a problem in warm climates, but...
- if it rains into your dish, you probably won't like it
- if you're carrying cotton, wood, or other produce from fields or forests, it makes them heavier because they become heavier
- ground becomes muddy, especially in areas without sidewalks, pavement or asphalt. Your feet become stuck.
- it just destroys some more fragile items. Try drawing a plan if it's raining down on your paper map.
- construction work becomes dangerous, you might slip up and DIE
- everything is slippery

In most parts of the world people stop working when it's raining heavily, because it's uncomfortable for them. So in Rimworld terms it could mean that people get annoyed at least when they have to do work in rain. You could have a mechanic similar to heatstroke - initial and minor doesn't bother people, but then it decreases mood and is gradually removed by
a) going to a warm room, it speeds up the drying process
b) changing clotches. We just got a new clotching system and pawns are finally smart enough to automatically replace their apparel with better one. They could leave wet clotches there, they would dry up on their own, and take something dry.

JesterBlue

The way the system work now, the most simple way of implement this is to add a new state: Drenched this will impart a mood penalty and lower temperature resistant to cold. May be reduce moving speed and gws. Remove Status end by being in a safe zone for a set amount of time; just like heat stroke and hypothermia.

Kaballah

That's reasonable, it would show in the Thoughts tab.