No atmosphere planet

Started by sagitarius_2k, July 29, 2015, 03:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagitarius_2k

So, just watching matt damon's martian trailer. So i am thinking, if we can choose to land at planet without atmosphere. So the challenge are way more harder.

You landed after you ship crash, what left at your POD just oxygen tank for one week. So you built some place to "harvest" o2. Every survivor use space suit, at first. But with more games, you can create far more advanced suit.

The-MathMog

Might be interesting to see as a mod, but I am not sure if it would fit well with how the game is now. It would also take a lot of added and changed features.

Pressurized door systems. No animals. Different or no plants. A system where obtaining oxygen would make sense. Be it an oven that process soil, or seed's used to make indoor plants.

A lot of other systems would probably need to change too, as pretty much anything would be able to kill you under the right (wrong) circumstances.

But still interesting :p

JimmyAgnt007

Instead of geothermal vents you could have ice geysers that you harvest for water(to make O2 with) or mine Ice chunks and asteroid impacts for water sources. 

It would be a lot harder and require a lot of additions to the game.  But maybe possible in a massive new mod or later on development in case Tynan includes some new features that could help or be remade.

JesterBlue

I believe the best compromise now is a map where toxic fallout is permanent. I'll be pretty much the same things. Dies when go outside, no animal or plant... etc

I for once want a play through on a ship you design...

kahlzun

Quote from: JesterBlue on July 30, 2015, 12:34:37 AM
I believe the best compromise now is a map where toxic fallout is permanent. I'll be pretty much the same things. Dies when go outside, no animal or plant... etc
I  bet theres a xml file you can modify to increase the 'severity' of the toxic fallout, and the speed of recovery. Make it so if you spend more than 1 or 2 hours outside you're basically boned, but if you get 'inside' you recover super fast.
That would replicate it pretty well imho.
Look for me on the KSP forums!
Rimworld. The game where getting a cannibal psychopath with bloodlust is a good thing.

harpo99999

I remember playing a game on similar concept, from memory the game is in GOG and called space colony.
you might want to look at it

tylers2001

Quote from: sagitarius_2k on July 29, 2015, 03:32:44 AM
So, just watching matt damon's martian trailer. So i am thinking, if we can choose to land at planet without atmosphere. So the challenge are way more harder.

You landed after you ship crash, what left at your POD just oxygen tank for one week. So you built some place to "harvest" o2. Every survivor use space suit, at first. But with more games, you can create far more advanced suit.
The problem with that is that when the sun goes down on the temperature would drop dramatically and i mean to where it would be so could at night you would be frozen solid and die soon after of the basically dry ice like temperatures. Just a heads up.
There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

MrWiggles

Yea, basically to start the game you would need to be given space suits that can give heat and air water for days on end. And having those space suits given out freely, would really circumvent most of the challenges.

and they hve to given out freely, as no one can interact with your base without them.

b0rsuk

Personally I would like an ability to build colonies on sea floor, with airlocks and stuff. Similar to Terror From The Deep.

Solanus

While I don't think you could pull off a true zero-atmosphere option for RimWorld without making it almost entirely another game, I think you could go with some different atmospheric qualities to make it more of a survival challenge.  There is already a pretty good example of how a problematic atmosphere could work in the game - Toxic Fallout.  However, the game does not currently have systems in place that allow colonists to still get outdoor work done in any appreciable fashion without taking serious damage.

I think your starting point has to be coming up with a way to show atmospheric quality and how it changes based on access to air sources.  This should work similarly to the temperature systems, with a room having an air quality value (or values) based on how much air mixes when doors open up from adjacent areas (or just through the walls/doors) and whatever objects are capable of changing air quality are in the room.  For example:  a room could be next to another interior room connected by a standard door, which would not necessarily have a good air barrier rating.  The room could also be connected to the outside with a tent airlock, which blocks nearly all air movement when a colonist walks through, but the process of moving through takes significantly longer than a more structured airlock and much longer than a standard (un)powered door.  (Airlocks would also likely have good ratings for controlling temperature change from area to area.)

Why would you need to be worried about atmospheric quality?  Like the Toxic Fallout above, alien microbes, pollen, or other particulates could be harmful over time when inhaled - these could be countered by filter masks and air scrubbers.  Or the atmosphere could be oxygen-thin, leading to decreased activity by colonists in those conditions - supplemental oxygen would be needed.  There could also be atmospheric conditions, either periodic (sandstorms) or consistent, that cause damage to objects exposed to them, including clothing and weapons/turrets - certain outfits (e.g., hazmat suits, tough leather dusters) would be more resistant to damage and protective of underlying layers, and maintenance of objects and items could be done.

How would you start the game if this is implemented?  Currently, the initial group of colonists comes to ground in lifepods that crack open after landing and are otherwise just scrap.  I would instead recommend having a lifeboat come down, basically a small room with an airlock and a few inoperative cryptosleep pods (which can be used as beds).  Any other supplies that come down with the lifeboat (e.g., steel, wood, food) would be scattered around as usual or tucked into a corner of the lifeboat cabin.  The colonists could use the lifeboat's systems until they run out of juice (it can be connected by conduit to an external power source to keep them going longer), or they can strip it for parts.  Once the colonists have their own shelter up, with air quality and temperature controls in place, they won't be anchored to the lifeboat in whatever precarious/unproductive location it might have arrived in.

How would your shelter look different from now?  Most obvious would be the inclusion of airlocks and air scrubbers.  Airlocks would be, in total, around 2x3 or 3x5 cells in size, placed across a shelter wall.  Smaller locks use simpler materials, but are slower to use, less effective as an air/temperature barrier, and more prone to damage and maintenance issues, while the larger locks are quicker, more efficient, and more robust, but more expensive to build.  Air scrubbers would likely look very much like the current air conditioners, with a similar good/bad air color scheme to the cold/hot colors used for AC.  There would also either be a crafting table specifically for filter masks and similar equipment or they would be integrated into other tables.  There would be additional classes of doors (or at least ratings on the existing doors) to allow for air-tight doors to be installed from section to section in the shelter, to keep a breach in one section from automatically tainting everywhere else.

Colonists would gain filter masks, which could either be integrated into other hat choices or kept separate (existing hats could have filter ratings as well).  Outer clothing would have a rating for resisting degradation and damage to the colonist (but may also decrease the min and max comfortable temperatures - fine in colder environments but hell in the summer).  Similar to parkas now, colonists would automatically seek out outer garments that can protect them from damage and would mask up when air quality is low.

What do I mean by maintenance?  Instead of just building objects outside and not worrying about them unless they're attacked (e.g., gunshot, explosion, fire, warg bites), time and exposure to conditions would have a negative effect on the hit points of objects.  Static objects (e.g., walls, sandbags, furniture, joy objects) would just take damage, while functional objects (e.g., turrets, AC units, solar panels) would lose effectiveness as more damage is done, become inoperative after perhaps 75% damage and scrap after 100%.  Colonists would repair them as usual with a couple of differences:  rather than running around any time a single 1% of damage is done, thresholds can be set for when to send out the maintenance crews, and objects that get repaired a lot lose some of their maximum hit points. 

I would also apply this to weapons and other wearable items, e.g., having a rifle that has lost a lot of hit points be able to have nearly all repaired, but it drops from Normal to Poor in quality.  Clothing could be handled similarly.  Outside objects that have too few hit points could be repaired all the time to keep them together, but should more appropriately be replaced - like a coat that gets patched too much.

A lot to digest, I know.  Please let me know if you have any questions.