When Rimworld is good...

Started by Listy, August 07, 2015, 03:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

...its really really good!

Just put the finishing touches to my ship, for my 44 colonists in year 6. Just as the last colonist enters the Cryptosleep casket a massive raid from the pirates arrives. As they assault the out defence line I strap everyone in and Blast off out of there.

When they finish their assault they'll find in my prison a single Pirate whose been a prisoner for the last six years.

Thing is, this is the third group of inhabitants for this colony. The previous two groups got killed by a pack of Warg's and a toxic fallout. When the last of the previous inhabitants had died and the threat that had killed them ended I'd just spawn a new group of four wanderer's.

christhekiller

How the hell did you get 44 colonists in less than 6 years?

It takes me like, 3 years to get 15 colonists

userfredle

Quote from: christhekiller on August 07, 2015, 05:17:32 PM

Rimworld is highly randomized which makes each game fun, ive also had 20+ colonists before year 2 was over, and on my current game im getting nothing but 99 difficulty recruitment with only 6 pawns on year 2.

It also depends on your method of attacking and wether enemys will go down easier, like a longsword will hack off limbs and kill them, where as a quicker gladius will leave alot of nasty scratches leaving them in such pain they collapse

muffins

It will depend on the storyteller, difficulty, your defences and your wardens. A tougher game will send more potential recruits your way (bigger/more raids), defences might lessen the survival rate of downed enemies (crossfire can kill lots of downed enemies in a kill box), and good wardens make for easier recruiting.

My current colony is on rough Randy random and I have 115 colonists after 3 years. I use embrasures rather than kill boxes and my best warden is an empath with 17 social skill.

Tynan

Wow! 115 colonists? That's insane!

How was that? Manageable? Performant? What difficulty was it on?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Mechanoid Hivemind

The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

muffins

Quote from: Tynan on August 07, 2015, 08:23:12 PM
Wow! 115 colonists? That's insane!

How was that? Manageable? Performant? What difficulty was it on?
Random Randy rough.

Performance is fine but I've got a good gaming computer. I've not noticed any stutter or hangups. I have to have small dining rooms stocked with meals and beer dotted all over the colony or my colonists will just eat off the floor or get hungry. The three main dining rooms have kitchens and small meal storage areas so excess meals get pushed out to all the smaller dining rooms by the haulers. A good road system is a must.

To save on button micromanagement all my solar lamps are solar powered and on a separate power grid than everything else. Far-flung growing areas are better for slow growing crops like devilstrand, otherwise the haulers get overwhelmed and food starts piling up in the fields. Having kitchens/breweries close to food/hops fields is a must.

HUGE colony pic below  :)
http://i.imgur.com/FaLSnOi.jpg

muffins

Quote from: Mechanoid Hivemind on August 07, 2015, 08:42:08 PM

What mods do you have installed?

Just a few.

With Shinzy's clothing mod having different stockpiles for different wanted/unwanted damaged/undamaged clothes is a must.

A Friend

Quote from: muffins on August 07, 2015, 07:30:20 PM
My current colony is on rough Randy random and I have 115 colonists after 3 years. I use embrasures rather than kill boxes and my best warden is an empath with 17 social skill.

I wonder fear how the colonist tab would look like with EdB's UI mod.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Mr.Cross

Quote from: A Friend on August 07, 2015, 09:16:26 PM- Snippet from A Friend -

I don't think you'd be able to see the game properly. *shudders in fear*
Claims to know most things.

killer117

How u get the embrasures mod, and the weapon and armour crafting mod, and the mannable turrets. Pls give me links
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Mr.Cross

Dude, just go digging for them in the mod/releases sub-forum. You have the names of said mods, the only thing different is that I think the Embrasures is apart of a defense pack that you download but can put what ever from that pack in.
Claims to know most things.

muffins

Quote from: killer117 on August 07, 2015, 10:12:30 PM
How u get the embrasures mod, and the weapon and armour crafting mod, and the mannable turrets. Pls give me links
It's all in Brunayla's Security mod.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7179.0

killer117

Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Tynan

That's a truly epic colony muffins. Perhaps a record from what I've seen.

I have tweeted it. Thank you.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog