Does grass stricly spread off of other grass?

Started by Noobshock, August 29, 2015, 07:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noobshock

Or can it sprout on soil out of nowhere after rain/time goes by?

Because if the answer to the title is yes then I'm beginning to wonder what the optimal geometry is for animal pastures, keeping strips of grass untouched so it can keep growing.

That would also be very silly looking if that's the best solution to keeping grass alive for large herds of animals.

MultiDavid

After a flashstorm, i see grass pop out of nowhere, so yeah, it can pop out of nowhere :p

ItchyFlea

Except for the edges of the map, grass usually only grows from seeds shot out from nearby grass tiles. I think the range is about 5 tiles, but I'm not sure.
The seeds are visible when they're flying to a new tile, but they're hard to see.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: ItchyFlea on August 29, 2015, 08:16:34 PM
Except for the edges of the map, grass usually only grows from seeds shot out from nearby grass tiles. I think the range is about 5 tiles, but I'm not sure.
The seeds are visible when they're flying to a new tile, but they're hard to see.

interesting to see, anyone who's tried to designate cut plants in a large area has seen what a monumental task it is on some biomes, it can grow back before you are done in my experience with very large areas unless you have a colonist with super high skill do it.

i'll have to look out for the grass seeds and see if i can notice, didn't know it was actually represented visually like that.

b0rsuk

Seed lack desc.

Seeds can be selected, they have 10 HP, so presumably they can be shot down with a charge rifle.

Fire spreads in a similar way - there are floating sparks. They can't be clicked on.

Songleaves

Back during the Depression, my grandfather would take a vacuum cleaner outside and vacuum up the grass seed in his lawn to spread to other places. Pretty cool huh?

Rahjital

Yep, grass can only spread by shooting seeds around, though the range is really long (7 tiles I think) so often it looks like it sprouts out of nowhere. Try cutting all grass in one area and then walling it off, no new grass will grow there.

Mihsan

Quote from: Noobshock on August 29, 2015, 07:17:25 PM
Or can it sprout on soil out of nowhere after rain/time goes by?

Because if the answer to the title is yes then I'm beginning to wonder what the optimal geometry is for animal pastures, keeping strips of grass untouched so it can keep growing.

That would also be very silly looking if that's the best solution to keeping grass alive for large herds of animals.

I do not know how plants are spreading, but I know, that you can lost them all in large area. Just look at my bug repport:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15646.0
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Panzer

Yeh grass seeds are those little green orbs, they fly in a straight line, just like the fire sparks. Tried to target them but it doesnt work ^^

[attachment deleted due to age]