How do you play?

Started by stranger080, September 02, 2015, 11:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you usually play Rimworld? Pease read post first!

Hard core survival
17 (21.5%)
Survival
36 (45.6%)
Comforted survival - read post!
13 (16.5%)
God mode
3 (3.8%)
Other
4 (5.1%)
Mostly hardcore
6 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

stranger080

Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 08, 2015, 06:46:46 PM
Quote from: MisterVertigo on September 08, 2015, 06:43:55 PM
Quote from: Lady Wolf on September 08, 2015, 05:07:46 PM
Those that are unacceptable I just hit with the dev mode destroy button before re-queuing the event.
How do you re-queue this event? Is that in Dev mode? Like I said, I never cheat so I don't know how that works! :)

was wondering that too, worse comes to worse i can get more ore from trade ships.
Basically you just use the execute incident menu, if that's not it then I don't know

Lady Wolf

Quote from: stranger080 on September 09, 2015, 11:05:56 AM

Basically you just use the execute incident menu, if that's not it then I don't know

Yep, it's the last option in the execute incident dev mode menu, "Wanderer Join" or some such name.

With how rarely the event pops (about once per session right within the first month or three) it's not what I consider a really "huge cheat" and mostly I just got sick of the event generating useless people nearly as often as someone that's worth keeping.

Even then if the wanderer is highly skilled in a needed area I'm willing to tolerate it; and a frail cataracted doctor with 12+ skill can quickly earn their keep after a bad raid.

Even those incapable of violence might not be really desirable, but as long as they can clean, haul, and (hopefully) perform some other useful task  they earn their keep well enough, but it's those lazy high borns that are incapable of pretty much everything (I.e dumb labor, intellectual labor, and crafting) that get kicked to the curb without hesitation.

stranger080

Quote from: Lady Wolf on September 09, 2015, 12:23:25 PM
Quote from: stranger080 on September 09, 2015, 11:05:56 AM

Yep, it's the last option in the execute incident dev mode menu, "Wanderer Join" or some such name.

With how rarely the event pops (about once per session right within the first month or three) it's not what I consider a really "huge cheat" and mostly I just got sick of the event generating useless people nearly as often as someone that's worth keeping.

Even then if the wanderer is highly skilled in a needed area I'm willing to tolerate it; and a frail cataracted doctor with 12+ skill can quickly earn their keep after a bad raid.

Even those incapable of violence might not be really desirable, but as long as they can clean, haul, and (hopefully) perform some other useful task  they earn their keep well enough, but it's those lazy high borns that are incapable of pretty much everything (I.e dumb labor, intellectual labor, and crafting) that get kicked to the curb without hesitation.
Yeah, I usually don't get wanderer join events but the next time I do I'm using this tactic

TLHeart

I personally like the challenge of having that colonists that I would not pick... adds another dimension to the game that I would not have played with otherwise.

stranger080

Quote from: TLHeart on September 09, 2015, 01:53:06 PM
I personally like the challenge of having that colonists that I would not pick... adds another dimension to the game that I would not have played with otherwise.
It's interesting yes, but if you get someone who can only hunt or make art, I would probably just use them as a suicide/sacrifice shooter with maybe a pistol or something

TLHeart

I love those assassins that can only fight and do art. A great combination. 

The hardest one to deal with is the noble, who can only research, and I have already completed the research... I give them a personal shield to be used as a distraction for the enemy.

stranger080

Quote from: TLHeart on September 09, 2015, 03:39:07 PM
I love those assassins that can only fight and do art. A great combination. 

The hardest one to deal with is the noble, who can only research, and I have already completed the research... I give them a personal shield to be used as a distraction for the enemy.
Yeah, those too, they're a major pain, I wouldn't mind just strapping a bomb to them and throw them at the enemy

Jarwy

Classic challenge with no save scumming, dev mode or anything else like that. What I get is what I get. I will manual control everything I see necessary though, for their own good.

Though if I happen to get a useless colonist, they might suffer... lets say, an accident. Every body is useful in one way or the other. Also, I will never have two hunters. Hunting accidents for me have a riddiculously high chance of fatal headshots or other slower ways for the unlucky colonist to die.

TLHeart

Quote from: Jarwy on September 10, 2015, 03:52:26 AM
Classic challenge with no save scumming, dev mode or anything else like that. What I get is what I get. I will manual control everything I see necessary though, for their own good.

Though if I happen to get a useless colonist, they might suffer... lets say, an accident. Every body is useful in one way or the other. Also, I will never have two hunters. Hunting accidents for me have a riddiculously high chance of fatal headshots or other slower ways for the unlucky colonist to die.

I run two hunters all the time, with SHORT range weapons. I never hunt with a sniper rifle. Shotguns are great tools for hunting, short range and pack a punch. Proper tool for the job.  I have never had a hunting accident with hunters using shotguns. Different story with survival rifles, sniper rifles, or any weapon that shots multiple projectiles. If I don't have two shot guns, then only one hunter.

stranger080

Quote from: TLHeart on September 10, 2015, 10:37:49 AM

I run two hunters all the time, with SHORT range weapons. I never hunt with a sniper rifle. Shotguns are great tools for hunting, short range and pack a punch. Proper tool for the job.  I have never had a hunting accident with hunters using shotguns. Different story with survival rifles, sniper rifles, or any weapon that shots multiple projectiles. If I don't have two shot guns, then only one hunter.
Smart, I havery animal guy hunt, he's out a lot anyway so I figured, why not?

zandadoum

since a10 or so i only play on RR extreme. when a new alpha comes out sometimes RR challenge, if i want to make like 10 colonies in one day for testing.

my goal is not survival, but getting schedule, areas, jobs, wtc setup so well, i barely have to micro anymore except in raids. even then, just for lulz the other day i left game running at x3 while having a shower... my autoturret setup took care of 2 small raids on itself and i only lost a couple of pets.

HOWEVER, i savescrum way too much at the beginning of every of my colonies. later on not needed anymore.

i want to get into twitch streaming at one point, and then it's gonna be ironman, without saving...but my PC cant handle both game and streaming.

what i enjoy now, after 900h. of game, is still trying new stuff... like min/maxxing colonists, perfect balance of pets to not run out of food without having to cover 100% map in crops, improving schedule/areas/work even more
and above all: try different base setups.

my next base is going to have huge ventilation shafts and only a/c and heater at one spot. i tried that a few alphas back and worked great but was ugly. i wanna make it prettier.

stranger080

Quote from: zandadoum on September 10, 2015, 01:09:49 PM
since a10 or so i only play on RR extreme. when a new alpha comes out sometimes RR challenge, if i want to make like 10 colonies in one day for testing.

my goal is not survival, but getting schedule, areas, jobs, wtc setup so well, i barely have to micro anymore except in raids. even then, just for lulz the other day i left game running at x3 while having a shower... my autoturret setup took care of 2 small raids on itself and i only lost a couple of pets.

HOWEVER, i savescrum way too much at the beginning of every of my colonies. later on not needed anymore.

i want to get into twitch streaming at one point, and then it's gonna be ironman, without saving...but my PC cant handle both game and streaming.

what i enjoy now, after 900h. of game, is still trying new stuff... like min/maxxing colonists, perfect balance of pets to not run out of food without having to cover 100% map in crops, improving schedule/areas/work even more
and above all: try different base setups.

my next base is going to have huge ventilation shafts and only a/c and heater at one spot. i tried that a few alphas back and worked great but was ugly. i wanna make it prettier.
Yeah, I want to do twitch but one thing stopping me is my parents, for testing, I use a different colony, I just use 3 random colitis and build in God mode

Jarwy

Quote from: TLHeart on September 10, 2015, 10:37:49 AM

I don't know, it seems dangerous if the pack you are hunting goes berserk. I have had a pack of deer go crazy and they are pretty fast. With survival rifles / snipers, my guys had a good head start on their run back to the turrets.

Mrshilka

Ai is far too stupid to not micro manage your pawns even with perfect priorities.

What's that? Bob's been stabbed and will bleed out unless I give him medical attention right away? but I have been awake for 8 whole hours now so I am going to bed I am sure he will be fine when I wake up.

I play Hardcore Micromanaged, with mods that give no shits about raid numbers and your pawns, 4 colonists and 30 raider sure!, 12 colonists and 1200 raiders yep that too.

stranger080

Quote from: Mrshilka on September 10, 2015, 05:03:16 PM
Ai is far too stupid to not micro manage your pawns even with perfect priorities.

What's that? Bob's been stabbed and will bleed out unless I give him medical attention right away? but I have been awake for 8 whole hours now so I am going to bed I am sure he will be fine when I wake up.

I play Hardcore Micromanaged, with mods that give no shits about raid numbers and your pawns, 4 colonists and 30 raider sure!, 12 colonists and 1200 raiders yep that too.
So mostly hardcore, and yeah I know how you feel, I play comforted survival mostly cause I like to keep everyone alive unless I want them to die, if I want to kill someone, I'll throw them headfirst into a raid, probably just cremate them, but I'll bury any pets.