Being able to remove body parts from the dead

Started by calecaz, September 05, 2015, 05:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calecaz

Being able to remove your expensive bionic parts from someone who died from an infection would be nice.  My colonist get depressed when i remove their bionic legs every time they come down with a cold (just to be safe).

Toggle

Been suggested a lot before if you checked. Won't happen for balance reasons, as said by Tynan.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Jorlem

Why not only allow it for those identified as a member of your colony, and only for prothetics?  The game remembers what faction dead pawns belonged to, so I'd think it could be hypothetically possible.

Or make it so that, on the death of a colony member, all their prothetics would fall off and be reusable?

Nebbie

I think (and hope) that it could be balanced eventually. Bionics are slowly getting harder to get and there could be a time limit on harvesting them and organs. Organs aren't really a problem anyways because you can just harvest prisoners and take the mood penalty.
If bionic spines, ears, and similar come in, it's quite likely that harvesting bionics from corpses won't be as hard to balance.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Agreed. If anything maybe you would have to keep the corpse from spoiling and would only have a day at most to remove an organ from the dead. it would also make sense that there is a good chance something will get screwed up as well
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

shentino

Quote from: Jorlem on September 06, 2015, 07:17:24 PM
Why not only allow it for those identified as a member of your colony, and only for prothetics?  The game remembers what faction dead pawns belonged to, so I'd think it could be hypothetically possible.

Or make it so that, on the death of a colony member, all their prothetics would fall off and be reusable?

Agreed.  It's unrealistic to force the surgeon to play "beat the clock" to recover prosthetics.

And if the corpse isn't even rotten yet he should still get natural organs too.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

This game is supposed to be about story and realistic(ish, it's in space so yea,) so the organs would either have to be recovered quickly or there would be a large chance of failure

shentino

Or worse...YASD wise you could allow harvesting rotten organs but anyone receiving them in a transplant automatically gets a huge infection :3

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Sounds pretty interesting... Instead of an infection maybe just "body rejecting partially dead organ" and they colonist has to take medication (like In real life for organs without a perfect genetic or close to perfect match) to keep the body from rejecting the organ

astrosoup

In reality, a person has to die in the hospital for any of their organs to be saved. Even then, the surgery team has to be ready to remove it right away. The organ itself has to be kept alive after the heart stops, or else it is useless.

There is no balance or narrative justification for including this in the main game. Someone should just make a mod if they really want it.

shentino

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 05, 2015, 06:13:58 PM
Been suggested a lot before if you checked. Won't happen for balance reasons, as said by Tynan.

What about only being able to remove prosthetics and bionics?

keylocke

i think that as long as the corpse is fresh, it can still be harvested for organs and/or bionics/prosthetic. but once it's rotted or desiccated, you can only harvest prosthetic/bionic.

as for game balance, acquiring bionics (whether you harvested it from corpses or bought it from a trader) would increase your combat value and wealth, which then increases raid difficulty. so i don't think it really breaks the balance.

edit :

i just saw there's also a similar thread.. 

Goldenpotatoes

The lifespan of an organ after death is usually an hour before the dying cells make it a useless pile of meat, timespan varies depending on the organ somewhat.

So, odds are unless you're playing on a cold biome that generally keeps things frozen for a decent period of time or you're quick to toss the fresh body into the freezer, you're not getting anything of value out of the body.

Besides, balance would be pretty messed up if all I had to do if a colonist lost a limb/organ was to drop the next passing group and toss them in the freezer real quick to get a new organ/limb. Stuff like that is suppose to be difficult/expensive to replace. The debuffs for harvesting from colonists/prisoners exist to counter the potential profitably and usefulness of excess limbs.

If you don't want colonists loosing limbs, look into crafting armor/clothes that actually protect said limb. If you're looking for profit, maybe a psychopathic colony is better for you.

hector212121

Potatoes...

You can't armor hands or feet. There are simply no gloves or shoes.

keylocke

if you harvest organs/prosthetic/bionics for selling or attaching to your colonists, then you're also increasing your colony wealth, which directly translates to an increase in raid difficulty.

so i think when it comes to "balance" it should be more focused on "risk vs reward" instead of putting "superficial restrictions."

so even if something is extremely profitable or useful, people shouldn't be restricted from doing it, instead prioritize balancing the penalties (like more raids or more prone to infections or whatever) so it doesn't become an exploit..

-----

another approach in making bionics and prosthetic harvestable and more common, is that they would also have degradation just like apparels.

while harvested organs would spoil within an hour if kept out of freezing temperatures and has only a lifespan of a few days, regardless of frozen or not. which means that, rather than long term storage of harvested organs, it's better to harvest it fresh prior to an operation or selling.

--------

anyways, there are many ways on how to "balance" something, either via restrictions or imposing penalties.

but i think when it comes to this topic, imposing more balanced penalties rather than imposing a strict restriction would be better in the long run.