My favorite method of recruiting! What is yours?

Started by Untrustedlife, January 12, 2014, 01:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Untrustedlife

You can have a room full of prisoner beds, throw a bunch of gibbet cages in it fill them with dead raiders then beat up a bunch of the prisoners and they get so afraid they will join when you friendly chat them again. instantly.

What is your favorite method of getting people to join your colony?

This is mine.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

ShadowDragon8685

I go quite the opposite. I make a room full of prisoner beds, with bright lighting, potted plants, its own nutrient paste dispenser, a table, chairs, etcetera. I set the prisoners to nice without overt recruit attempts, and with the number of con artists, courtesans, and occasional nobles I allow to remain, basically love-bomb them like a cult initiation until they think my colony is clearly the BEST THING EVARRRRRRR. They'll wind up with a much more massive happiness score than most of my actual colonists, and that's when I'm still holding them in irons. When I actually click over to recruit them, they'll be super-happy and charge straight out of the prison full of zeal and zest to get to work!

It works on folks who are getting close to a mental break, too. Clearly, they just need to take some time off somewhere they can't hurt themselves or others, so I drag them into the prison and love-bomb the crap out of them, too. In a few days, they'll have forgotten completely how they were on the verge of snapping because of all the corpses they'd seen and how hungry they were (on account of being ordered to bury all those damn corpses,) and love the place again.
Raiders must die!

Coenmcj

Meanwhile I seem to have two seperate prison rooms because I ran out of space and decided to experiment. one of them "Lovebombs" them while the other one is grisly, dark, barely getting fed and getting beaten if they step out of line.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Coenmcj on January 13, 2014, 01:10:24 AM
Meanwhile I seem to have two seperate prison rooms because I ran out of space and decided to experiment. one of them "Lovebombs" them while the other one is grisly, dark, barely getting fed and getting beaten if they step out of line.

You still have to friendly chat them once to get them to join in my experience after terrifying them, but they join instantly because the fear has made there loyalty extremely high..
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Malicar

So far I've been the good guy and  keep them fed and leave them alone until they are awake and ready to talk heh. I do feel a bit strange kidnapping travellers or arresting them per say but then again they are on our land.

I wonder in the future if the travellers will stop by and offer to join on their own if they are friendly and certain requirements met or something. Maybe even traders walking past and what not. I'll try the bad guy approach eventually heh. Would also be nice to have a robot cleaning up or defending or something interesting with boops and beeps. Maybe even fireproof robot putting out fires.

Untrustedlife

sometimes they do, its just extremely rare I have had colonists instantly join me before.
They even have a special notification.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

Ihatetheinternet

I have 3 rooms full of plants with 1 prison bed and a table set i set it to food yes friendly chat try to join they join the first time there asked

BattleFate

I have my cell block set near my main entrance (though not right next to it). In there, there's a handful of private rooms without doors, a communal nutrient paste dispenser and table and chairs. I have plants in each room, and keep the area carpeted and well lit (red carpeting).

I also have gibbet cages around the main area and a pair flanking the entrance. These are loaded with assassins that have been involved in raids against my base. This is my warning to my prisoners. I will treat you well and I will provide for your needs, but if you cross me, this is your fate!

They join fairly quickly usually.

Jones-250

Yeah... I´m too much of a softie to use the "Gestapo"-metod. I Lovebomb.
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Nimble Mongoose

I've mostly used the super cost efficient method of a 1x3 cell with a bed.  I have my Warden talk to them and feed them. It might not be immediate, but after a couple days, they come around.  If they don't; well, that's what slave traders are for.

Calistyn

Lovebomb, always. I tend to set as many people as possible as wardens, so the second someone gets arrested, they're swarmed.

They're usually recruited in a span of about a minute. ^_^

Daisil

M16 to the face. If they go unconcious and survive the beatings, they're good enough for my colony.

weemcast

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on January 12, 2014, 09:50:22 AM
basically love-bomb them like a cult initiation until they think my colony is clearly the BEST THING EVARRRRRRR. They'll wind up with a much more massive happiness score than most of my actual colonists, and that's when I'm still holding them in irons. When I actually click over to recruit them, they'll be super-happy and charge straight out of the prison full of zeal and zest to get to work!

Love this, hehe.

I don't go to that extreme (though I think I will now!), but I generally play nice. I do want to change that up sometime and go to the other extreme at some point though ;)

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Daisil on January 22, 2014, 09:29:10 PM
M16 to the face. If they go unconcious and survive the beatings, they're good enough for my colony.

Wow, when i recruit people the evil way if i notice them taking too much damage i tone down the beatings so that they don't die. You go all out.
I can respect that.

You sir are awesome.
You would make  a GREAT evil overlord.

basically love-bomb them like a cult initiation until they think my colony is clearly the BEST THING EVARRRRRRR. They'll wind up with a much more massive happiness score than most of my actual colonists, and that's when I'm still holding them in irons. When I actually click over to recruit them, they'll be super-happy and charge straight out of the prison full of zeal and zest to get to work!
Tahts hilarious
I can just imagine:
(in comes a starving smelly warden)

(he drags the prisoner into a beautiful room with his own personal nutrient dispenser (keeping him from seeing the rest of the base (with all the corpses starvation and such)

Warden:
Yessir, this is what you get for the rest of your life if you join our cause.. we even provide personal dining rooms!

Prisoner:
Wow, thats amazing.. I'll join.

warden:
Great, let me just let you out.....

(a body is dragged by by a different colonist)

warden:
Ignore that, he was a victim of a collapsing cave..poor guy, but don't worry , we will make you a scientist.

Prisoner:
Is let out and heads over to the enterance, he notices a distinct lack of plants carpetting and dining rooms..
WHAT IS THIS!
He shouts.

The warden hands him a pick and says:

warden:
Get digging you pathetic buffoon.

I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

ItchyFlea

All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created