Anyone else think getting the flu sucks?

Started by mc858, September 19, 2015, 12:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc858

seriously - i hated mechs/evil ships for a while to the point that it makes me want to restart the game. They just arent fun to fight and most of the time i cant even fight them without taking huge losses....but this flu/getting sick business sucks even more- WHY ARE YOU GETTING SICK PAWN? WHY? its not too hot outside- its not too cold- you are fully clothed- WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU DAMMNIT!? And when you get sick and you lay in bed for what seems forever- You get mad and eventually break.....WHY...WHY ! Can we please have a full proof way of dealing with this that doesnt slow the game down to a crawl (in terms of pace) or isnt so random

My fave part of the game is building the first few rooms of my base and setting everything up- i swear once a few get sick or evil ships and mechs come - i always restart- they ruin the entire game for me lol (i dont use mods btw)

zandadoum

if your pawns don't get up from bed from a single flu, then you have your priorities wrong. after getting treatment they will stand up and do their work.

now SLEEPING SICKNESS... that's a totally different matter :P

TheDirge

If you cant deal with mechs you're doing it wrong

Loki88

Now that beds have quality, I believe the higher end ones help heal sickness faster. I will double check when I'm on the computer and not the tablet.

milon

I don't think RimWorld is about having a fool-proof way of dealing with anything. If that's the play-style you're going for (which I often do myself), then Basebuilder Randy is the way to go. And evil ship can just be deleted with the Dev tools when it drops, if it's too much trouble for you.

Edit - *facepalm*  Curse you lock thread button!!

cultist

I imagine disease is hard to deal with if you're new to the game and haven't had time to adjust to the joy mechanics - they make a huge diference compared to what they used to do.

The trick is to use work priorites and schedules - if a pawn gets sick, you start by setting his entire day (or just the "anything" hours) to "joy". He won't be doing any work while sick, if you want him to get better fast. Then you make sure his patient priority is set to max, so he won't get out of bed for anything. When you get the low mood warning from that pawn, you uncheck patient for him and he will go fill up his joy right away (You might have to draft him out of bed). When he's done, you check patient back again and send him to bed.

Secondly, medical bed + vitals monitor gives a significant boost to immunity gain, which refers to any disease or infection. You will notice a difference with the longer illnesses like sleeping sickness.

And of course, you need proper medical staff - diseases are one of the cases where it may be worth breaking out the fancy medicine, because it takes a pawn out of the game for so long, while putting extra stress on your doctor.

zenfur

Supa-easy way to deal with ship events:

1) surround a ship with a wall in battery shape - tightly leaving 1 space next to it.
2) make a colonist throw a grenade at the wall (repair if misses) - keep doing until he misses and aggroes the mechs from the ship
3) all mechs should wander in that 1 spot you left
4) prepare a position to fight with them or wait for raid to release them to fight with raiders
5) kill them with EMP & aoe dmg such as grenades

well... another way is to grab bunch of sniper rifles and outrange them
Little posts, quality posts.

Notice me, senpaaiiiiiii!!!!

Aristocat

Quote from: cultist on September 19, 2015, 01:03:12 PM
I imagine disease is hard to deal with if you're new to the game and haven't had time to adjust to the joy mechanics - they make a huge diference compared to what they used to do.

The trick is to use work priorites and schedules - if a pawn gets sick, you start by setting his entire day (or just the "anything" hours) to "joy". He won't be doing any work while sick, if you want him to get better fast. Then you make sure his patient priority is set to max, so he won't get out of bed for anything. When you get the low mood warning from that pawn, you uncheck patient for him and he will go fill up his joy right away (You might have to draft him out of bed). When he's done, you check patient back again and send him to bed.

Secondly, medical bed + vitals monitor gives a significant boost to immunity gain, which refers to any disease or infection. You will notice a difference with the longer illnesses like sleeping sickness.

And of course, you need proper medical staff - diseases are one of the cases where it may be worth breaking out the fancy medicine, because it takes a pawn out of the game for so long, while putting extra stress on your doctor.

Using medicine seems doesn't have any effect. Also it's best to not use any medicine so you can train doctors

Note that sleeping spot has extremely low healing.

Sleeping spot
         <Bed_HealTickInterval>3000</Bed_HealTickInterval>
Bed
         <Bed_HealTickInterval>2350</Bed_HealTickInterval>
Hospital bed
         <Bed_HealTickInterval>1950</Bed_HealTickInterval>

cultist

Quote from: Aristocat on September 19, 2015, 01:31:15 PM
Using medicine seems doesn't have any effect. Also it's best to not use any medicine so you can train doctors
Nope, not true. Every doctor interaction now has a quality, and even Godlike doctors need herbal medicine for guaranted 100% (good) treatment quality.

Your pawn will usually survive without medicine if you keep them in bed, but medicine will speed up the process in most cases.

zandadoum

Quote from: zenfur on September 19, 2015, 01:28:06 PM
Supa-easy way to deal with ship events:

1) surround a ship with a wall in battery shape - tightly leaving 1 space next to it.
2) make a colonist throw a grenade at the wall (repair if misses) - keep doing until he misses and aggroes the mechs from the ship
3) all mechs should wander in that 1 spot you left
4) prepare a position to fight with them or wait for raid to release them to fight with raiders
5) kill them with EMP & aoe dmg such as grenades

well... another way is to grab bunch of sniper rifles and outrange them
if you're gonna abuse game mechanics, might aswell do it RIGHT...

build a room around the ship leaving 2-3 tiles empty. make sure it's roofed. then start -carefully- deconstructing the walls. when you remove the last brick the roof will collapse and insta-kill the ship. downside: no scavenge

or this: https://imgur.com/7EHgzI6 (can do without turret and solar panel if you make a door so a colonist can shoot at the ship and run out)

SpaceDrunk

Quote from: Loki88 on September 19, 2015, 07:26:49 AM
Now that beds have quality, I believe the higher end ones help heal sickness faster. I will double check when I'm on the computer and not the tablet.

Bed quality affects resting speed, but not immunity gain rate. That's always 110%, regardless of quality.

milon

Quote from: zandadoum on September 20, 2015, 03:45:16 AM
if you're gonna abuse game mechanics, might aswell do it RIGHT...

build a room around the ship leaving 2-3 tiles empty. make sure it's roofed. then start -carefully- deconstructing the walls. when you remove the last brick the roof will collapse and insta-kill the ship. downside: no scavenge

or this: https://imgur.com/7EHgzI6 (can do without turret and solar panel if you make a door so a colonist can shoot at the ship and run out)

Actually, a roof doesn't form over the ship part, so you can't crush it like that anymore.  And the mechs spawn all over the place, so it's difficult to contain them all.  That strategy works if they all spawn inside the walls, though.  (The other option is to go for a temperature extreme and disable the mechs that way.)

zandadoum

Quote from: milon on September 21, 2015, 02:03:58 PM
Actually, a roof doesn't form over the ship part, so you can't crush it like that anymore.
wrong. i just did it 5 minutes ago. alhpa12d, no game changing mods

just leave a couple of tiles between ship and walls. don't make the walls right next to the ship

the extreme heat method is more fun, but requires more materials and takes more time. i still use it sometimes, specially if i want to recover the mechanoids bodies.

EDIT: screenshot taken just a couple of minutes ago: http://imgur.com/Fbme3gP

TLHeart

Quote from: zandadoum on September 21, 2015, 03:44:07 PM
Actually, a roof doesn't form over the ship part, so you can't crush it like that anymore.

just leave a couple of tiles between ship and walls. don't make the walls right next to the ship

the extreme heat method is more fun, but requires more materials and takes more time. i still use it sometimes, specially if i want to recover the mechanoids bodies.

The wall works so long as there are fewer mechs than open spaces within the walls. As soon as there are more mechs spawning than space, they will spawn outside of the wall. 2 Mechs will not spawn in the same space.

zandadoum

Quote from: TLHeart on September 21, 2015, 07:13:07 PM
Quote from: zandadoum on September 21, 2015, 03:44:07 PM

The wall works so long as there are fewer mechs than open spaces within the walls. As soon as there are more mechs spawning than space, they will spawn outside of the wall. 2 Mechs will not spawn in the same space.

there are no mechs. you build the wall around a still CLOSED ship, collapse the roof and insta kill the ship without mechs even spawning out of it