Furniture, Weapons and Apparel Ideas

Started by LouisTBR, September 26, 2015, 08:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisTBR

Now, something I have always wanted to do was just make a long list of items which I would love to be in the game, whether they have a helpful function, value when sold or just generally cool. Now, I have bit the bullet and here we are! A (hopefully) long list of furniture, weapons, apparel and maybe some other stuff if I see fit. Obviously, this isn't just to read, so please leave feedback as well as suggestions of your own that don't already feature here (I'm sure there will be something I've missed!) So, here we go:

Furniture:

Books - Books are an essential part of joy in humans. They give us endless hours of excitement, sadness and suspense. Books would be a great addition to the game, as another joy object.

Bookshelf - To go with books, you need a good old bookshelf. This contains books, which are can only be found inside one of these shelves. You can make them from the joy menu, and they act like any other piece of joy equipment.

Computers - Another awesome part of human life, a computer is what makes this game happen. Now, it seems only fair for your colonists to experience the game too, like when Sims in Sims 3 play Sims 1! Joy object.

Floor/Ceiling Lighting - Something that bugs me is how much lights get in the way. You can't build any crafting stations next to them, unless you really think about your design, and you can't build over them. Let's be honest, who uses floor lamps to light their house? Ceiling lights and floor lights (built in ground like Prison Architect) will be a great addition to the game.

Windows - One of the joys of life is waking up to a lovely view out of a window, whether it be a huge skyscraper or a nice array of country fields. A wall with a built in window would be such a cool feature, which would give the colonists beauty buffs depending on how good the area around the outside of the window is.

Structure:

Window Walls - Walls capable of containing a window. They can only be built if glass is nearby, and look like panes of glass rather than solid wall sprites.

Barbed Wire Fences - These fences are essentially sandbags, but impassable and made from wire. Visitors take notice of these and don't pass them.

Electric Fences - Like traps, raiders can try to jump these, but have a 50/50 chance of electrocuting the victim, stunning them. Visitors don't pass.

Wooden Fences - The weakest and least useful type of fence, can be broken easily and climbed. Visitors take notice of fences and don't go past them.

Rock Walls - Like fences, but passable at the same speed as sandbags. Made from Cotswold Stone.

Gates - Wooden, can be placed like doors. They can only be built between two fences/stone walls. Visitors only come through here if you allow them by activating the 'Visitors Allowed' button on when you click on a gate.

Resources:

Glass - To build windows, screens and lights you need glass. Basically, more or less everything above in furniture requires glass one way or another. This can be crafted using the electric smelter, using sand. Obviously, it is really made using sand and lime/sodium, but no-body needs that hassle! 

Sand - To make glass, you need sand. Sand is obviously plentiful in the desert, but is impossible to find in the arctic. This is why it will be available from bulk goods traders, at around the same price as hay.

Cotswold Stone - Cotswold Stone is a beige-coloured, irregularly shaped stone found in the Cotswolds, England. It is found in the ground (In Rimworld, the veins of rock) and can be used rough to make rough stone walls useful for keeping out raiders.

Wire - Can be used in Barbed Wire fences, or Electric fences. Electric Fences require power to be fed directly to them, but don't use much. Barbed wire is raw wire. Useful for keeping away visitors, and keeping animals in.

Weapons:

Shield - A cheap item used like a personal shield, except weaker and covers less of the body. Can be crafted at the smelters table or worn by raiders/visitors.

Tranquilizer Gun - As rare as a Charge Rifle, these weapons can tranquilize animals, making them easier to tame, or on raiders to stun them. The effects wear off after 3 seconds on humanoids, and an in-game hour on animals.

Bat - A classic defence weapon, a baseball/cricket bat would replace the current item, the 'Mace' which no-body particularly likes. These bats are as common as maces, and deal reasonable damage. High cooldown wait.

Taser - A weapon used by police, this is less effective than a tranquilizer gun, but is useful for using against berserk colonists to arrest them instead of putting them to sleep. Quick reload, useful against close-quarters enemies.

Apparel:

Scarf - A non-visible heat insulator for the head/neck area.

Coat - A less-warm, more common parka.

Shoes - Faster to walk when wearing.

Vest/Undershirt - An insulating item of clothing, can be worn like body armour underneath a shirt or alone.

Glasses -  Invisible item of clothing which makes cataract-suffering colonists see 30% better, but makes regular colonists see 40% worse.

Gloves - Hand-insulating items of clothing which also aid shooting by 5% when worn by a drafted colonist.

Well, that's it for now. If you want to suggest or simply want to give some feedback generally, be sure to post it below and I will include it in the list. Thanks for reading!

Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

cultist

I like the idea of more clothing items and glasses (bionic eyes seems like an extreme solution to a common human problem).

The science computer thingey is already in the game. It's under "Misc".

LouisTBR

Oh, yeah! I totally forgot! Thanks. I'll remove it now.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"