Starting to get frustrated.

Started by PixelatedDonkey, October 09, 2015, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadou

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 10, 2015, 12:22:56 AM
Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 12:18:51 AM
Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 10, 2015, 12:14:24 AM
If a got a problem simply make a mod to set the flammability to 0.
That may be a good solution for those few of you that are skilled at programming and versed in modding Rimworld, but those unlucky masses of us that aren't blessed with those kind of skills are a little S.O.L.

Err, just locate the wall xml file (using search) then thier is literally a varibal called flammability. Anyone could do it.

Perhaps, but not everyone is capable of figuring that out on their own. Not everyone has the computer skills that you're taking for granted, dude.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 12:25:01 AM
Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 12:18:51 AM
Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 10, 2015, 12:14:24 AM
If a got a problem simply make a mod to set the flammability to 0.
That may be a good solution for those few of you that are skilled at programming and versed in modding Rimworld, but those unlucky masses of us that aren't blessed with those kind of skills are a little S.O.L.

Err, just locate the wall xml file (using search) then thier is literally a varibal called flammability. Anyone could do it.

Perhaps, but not everyone is capable of figuring that out on their own. Not everyone has the computer skills that you're taking for granted, dude.

You just need to search up the word 'Wall' then change a SINGLE number.

Edit: And if ya have notepad+ or any decent editor you can simply use the 'Find' function to locate the varibal 'Flammability'

Shadou

And now that you've pointed out the procedure, I could probably do it. But could I figure that out without someone better than me at programming stuffs telling me what I need to do? That's my point.

And I'm actually pretty quick, having a little experience with editing text files and finding files. Given as much information as you've posted here, I actually don't think that anyone who isn't very computer savvy could find the file or variable that needs to be changed.

TLHeart

Get an Fe wall and put a lighter up to it. It won't go up in blazes.

I'm not going so say Fe isn't flammable, but in the games current state its certainly too flammable.

A couple of chips and shavings, some oil, and a knife, and I will light that Steel wall right up.

And as far as in game, steel walls burn, not as fast as wood walls, but they burn, accept it, embrace it and learn from it. 

Shadou

Quote from: TLHeart on October 10, 2015, 12:32:37 AM

I'm not going so say Fe isn't flammable, but in the games current state its certainly too flammable.

A couple of chips and shavings, some oil, and a knife, and I will light that Steel wall right up.

And as far as in game, steel walls burn, not as fast as wood walls, but they burn, accept it, embrace it and learn from it.
Incendiary grenades, rockets, napalm... I can see a number of things in the game actually causing a steel wall to burn.

Some idiot walking up to it and poking it with the muzzle of their PDW a few times? Psssyeah, right.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 12:28:49 AM
And now that you've pointed out the procedure, I could probably do it. But could I figure that out without someone better than me at programming stuffs telling me what I need to do? That's my point.
Yes you could. Here would be your logic:

-The game is rimworld so I should search in the rimworld folder.
-I want to change a wall, forever I search wall
-My thing is a building, their are 3 xmls with building in their name:
Buildings_Power
Buildings_Structure
Buildings_Temperature
-A wall does not use or generate power, so why shall it be under power
-A wall does to make or destroy temperature, coolers and heaters do.
-It shall be under Buildings_Structure so I shall open it
-2 things have wall in them according to the find function:
Building_Door
Wall
-I do not want a door, forever I shall use the wall
-Find says thier is a line under Wall whitch says 'Flammability', it is:
<Flammability>1.0</Flammability>
-If 1 makes steel walls flammable, then 0 shallnot
-I should try the number 0
-I shall now save it with my changes
-I shall run rimworld
-I shall make a steel wall
-It works.

It doesn't take a modder with mad skillz, it takes someone who has a brain, a search function & a find function.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 12:42:30 AM
Quote from: TLHeart on October 10, 2015, 12:32:37 AM

Incendiary grenades, rockets, napalm... I can see a number of things in the game actually causing a steel wall to burn.

Some idiot walking up to it and poking it with the muzzle of their PDW a few times? Psssyeah, right.
False, 2 guys walking up to it with a granite shiv and a steel shiv.

How does a granite shiv set it on fire?

Why hasn't the steel shiv been set on fire?

Shadou

You're still taking for granted a level of computer literacy that not everyone has. Again, given the information you had posted, I could probably do it; you made me aware that these variables are in unencrypted xml files that can be changed without really needing knowledge of programming languages that I don't have. But I really doubt the average computer end user could do it without detailed instructions that you seem to be averse to giving.

Also, if you're trying to imply that someone that is not capable of figuring out how to make the modification on their own is someone without a brain, I'd like to challenge you to go out to your car and replace the thermostat. It's a simple process, really. Anyone with a brain, a socket wrench, and a pair of pliers should be able to figure it out.

NuclearStudent

Quote from: TLHeart on October 10, 2015, 12:17:19 AM
Quote from: PixelatedDonkey on October 09, 2015, 10:27:51 PM
Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 09, 2015, 09:06:12 PM
Quote from: PixelatedDonkey on October 09, 2015, 08:45:41 PM
Is one of you a "firebug". I am getting a bit tired of having my bases destroyed by fire. Latest one was started by a guy with a knife. He came up to a steel wall, hit it once and the wall burst in flames. It also is no help that I can't order the colonists to put out the fire. Even though the priority is set to high they just stand there and burn alive.
1- Make em walls out of stone
2- If you were on fire, would you TRY to put yourself out or put the wall around you out and let yourself die. Colonists will not respond to your orders if their burning. Their to busy taking care of them self.
3- Were they firefighting before they got set on fire?
4- If ya don't know, thier is a thing called homezone, they only clean, repair and firefight things in your home zone.

1. Steel should NOT be flammable. It isn't. Stone walls are not secure enough.
2, 3. This one is a mix. Sometimes they catch on fire while trying to fight fire (understandable if they would try to get away, so there is no need for you to treat me like an idiot) and sometimes they are in the room that catches fire and they just stand there. They catch on fire and continue standing in the same spot until they burn.
4. I do know that there is a home zone and that they only clean and firefight in that zone. I take great care in setting up home zone.

What do you mean stone walls are not secure enough, steel walls have 350 strength.
stone walls go from sandstone at 490 to granite at 595 strength, much stronger than steel walls.

and steel is flammable,

Iron (Fe): Specific gravity, 7.86; melting point, 2802°F (1540°C). Iron presents a dust hazard
under favoring conditions of particle size and dispersion in air. It can be easily ignited in the
form of dust or steel wool or as fine turnings or chips containing oil. Structural steel has a
specific gravity of 7.83 and melting point of 2605°F (1430°C). When heated above 600°F
(315°C), it begins to lose strength rapidly.

That's in powdered form. Have you ever actually tried that experiment? I've quite literally used steel pots as oxidization vessels, and like hell did they burn.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 12:58:03 AM
You're still taking for granted a level of computer literacy that not everyone has. Again, given the information you had posted, I could probably do it; you made me aware that these variables are in unencrypted xml files that can be changed without really needing knowledge of programming languages that I don't have. But I really doubt the average computer end user could do it without detailed instructions that you seem to be averse to giving.
Err, the average computer user could try searching it up then opening every single file tell they locate it. It just need patience.

Also, if you're trying to imply that someone that is not capable of figuring out how to make the modification on their own is someone without a brain, I'd like to challenge you to go out to your car and replace the thermostat. It's a simple process, really. Anyone with a brain, a socket wrench, and a pair of pliers should be able to figure it out.
Nah, don't even need a wrench or pillers, I'll just use mah brain to walk over to a mechanic and have him do dat.

Shadou

So you're telling me that you drive around a car without even knowing how it works well enough to fix a broken thermostat without having a mechanic do it for you?

Don't even talk to me about using a computer without knowing how it works well enough to mod my games without a programmer to tell me how it's done/do it for me.

Loki88

I'm self taught when it comes to modding, I'm not great at it but I figured it out on my own w/o instructions. Xml modding is more or less "if then => so" logic level. It's not even about having a brain to be able to figure it out, it's about having the self drive to open up the game folder and poke at it to see how it works.

As for car repair, I've replaced the water pump on my stupid Ford focus before work w/o anyone telling me how to do it. That's a bit more involved than a thermostat if you've ever tried to replace one on a Focus.

I'm not saying all this to come off with a "better than thou" attitude, quite the contrary actually. I am but a mere factory worker with only a high school level of education. I guarantee there are people far smarter than I that just can't be bothered to figure the stuff out.

Shadou

Quote from: Loki88 on October 10, 2015, 01:16:23 AM

I'm self taught when it comes to modding, I'm not great at it but I figured it out on my own w/o instructions. Xml modding is more or less "if then => so" logic level. It's not even about having a brain to be able to figure it out, it's about having the self drive to open up the game folder and poke at it to see how it works.

As for car repair, I've replaced the water pump on my stupid Ford focus before work w/o anyone telling me how to do it. That's a bit more involved than a thermostat if you've ever tried to replace one on a Focus.

I'm not saying all this to come off with a "better than thou" attitude, quite the contrary actually. I am but a mere factory worker with only a high school level of education. I guarantee there are people far smarter than I that just can't be bothered to figure the stuff out.

You do realize that the thermostat is built into the heating/cooling system, right? It's just as involved as changing the pump that pushes liquid through that same system. But my point remains, and you probably just reinforced it: Your average computer user is like the average car driver. They're able to operate the machine, but remain ignorant of the mechanics (so to speak) of what makes the machine work. There's people with technical skills that can do a little bit more than operate the machine, in both computers and cars. I probably fall into that category; I'm able to do small repairs on my car, but if the engine starts really misbehaving I need an actual mechanic to get in there and fix it. Similarly, I'm capable of installing and uninstalling software on my computer and running maintenance, and I am capable of installing mods that other people have created into my games. But I am not a programmer, so if something requires a knowledge of programming then I'm screwed. And now I have this... person... telling me that I must not have a brain because I couldn't figure out how to mod the game myself. Screw that. You all are too technical for me. I'm out of here before someone accuses me of being too stupid to own a computer.

Loki88

I brought up the focus water pump because in ford's infinite wisdom they designed the engine compartment in such a way that there physically isn't enough room to get the pump out ( it's recessed in to the bottom of the engine ) you have to undo your passenger side motor mounts and GENTLY lower your engine by 3 1/2 inches to get the pump to clear the frame... As I said before Stupid Ford Focus!

Ps: I've written my own mods as well, only one is still relevant though because the other two sucked :P

Anywhoozle I'mma gonna go back to shutting up now, CHEERS!

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 01:12:02 AM
So you're telling me that you drive around a car without even knowing how it works well enough to fix a broken thermostat without having a mechanic do it for you?

What?

I said I'd walk/take a taxi to a mechanic and have him fix it for me. I figured out how to call a taxi/walk by using mah brain. I figured outhow to talk to the mechanic using mah brain.

Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 01:12:02 AM
Don't even talk to me about using a computer without knowing how it works well enough to mod my games without a programmer to tell me how it's done/do it for me.
Ok, I'm a programmer. A C++ programmer with some knowledge of Java. But how does that effect rimworld? Rimworld has Xml and C#.

Anyway, when I said you need a brain, I didn't meen you have no brain, I men't you have a brain but you ain't using it enough. If you'd searched up 'wall' and went thou every single file you'd of found it. But did you? That is the question.

Better yet, just search up 'wall' and open A file. Yes just one. You'd notice their not encrypted in voodoo magic. Maybe the file you opened has something to-do with flammability but it was for a different building... whitch would meen that if you found the one for wallz you could change it yourself.

Its is not a matter of mad skillz, or knowledge of voodoo magic, it is a matter of effort and perseverance. I certainly do not expect you to do it on the first try, but if you had tried many times you'd have eventually succeeded. (And the sad/good thing is that this is one of it easier thing to mod, if not the easiest)

And if you need help that would be fine, but saying that your not 'technical enough' is like saying you can't kick a ball because you've never kicked a ball before or like saying because I've never made a YT video I never will be able.

If you spend enough time in anything you will become fairly proficient at it. If you simply say 'I ain't good enough forever I shall not try' then you will always be crap at it. You are crap (at something) and will always be crap until you do something to stop being crap. Same shall apply to modding, programing, art and even music.

And for your knowledge, my programming skills helped certainly, but If I had never tried to mod I'd of stayed crap. If I never modded, nomatteer how good I'd be in programming I'd stay crap in modding. Programming skills speeds up the processes of learning modding not makes it instantaneous.

Summery is try or you'll always be crap at it.

*Ps C# != C != C++ != Obj-C != Obj-C++, don't even try or you'll get a long winded history lesson