Is there a way to get rid of or otherwise refuse unwanted wanderers?

Started by Duban, October 30, 2015, 11:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duban

I just lost my Polar base because some wanderer that was useless (couldn't haul, construct, or mine) walked in and started consuming resources without contributing to the colony :-/.

I had the perfect map, the perfect base, everything just came together perfectly except for the fact that I ran out of food just before the first crops came to harvest. All thanks to this wanderer and an eclipse.

Is there any way to avoid this fate in the future?

Limdood

kill off the wanderer?

seriously though...as you started to run out of food, euthanize them or, to avoid the mood penalty, stage an "accident" (melee a boomrat, stand in the cold naked, etc.).

As a bonus, you could live (unhappily) off the human flesh from butchering the wanderer.

When a wanderer comes in, you can't refuse them because they're saying they are putting their trust 100% in you.  Nothing says you have to be worthy of that trust...

LanMc

Hmm, good idea for a mod!!!   The ability to tell an unwanted colonist to get lost.  Yeah, I would use that. 
Hi, my name is Lan and I am a Rimworld addict...

anexiledone

harpo99999

unfortunately (in this case) the release will be back to the colony, not to the previous grouping, so it boils down to
(1) kill (mood penalty),
(2) send out with (poor or worse) dirk to hunt thrubo/wild pig/rabbit/squirrel (double win with this one if the succeed then you get food, if they die pawn dead with possible angry pack of animals coming to attack and kill colony (probably rabbit and squirrel(but squrrel is te fastest and hardest to hit animal) are the best to attack on other side of map)while pawn alive should be highest hunting),
(3)i f you have a pirate ship contact is to arrest the pawn, then contact pirate ship and sell pawn(mood penalty for selling pawn)

Spectre

The most reliable way of killing a colonist without a mood penalty is simply drafting them, walling them in somewhere and just waiting. I found any other method tends to other colonists trying to save them or taking a major mood debuff. These days I just build a wall around them, wait for them to starve to death and butcher the body.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Duban

Quote from: harpo99999 on October 31, 2015, 05:57:08 PM
unfortunately (in this case) the release will be back to the colony, not to the previous grouping, so it boils down to
(1) kill (mood penalty),
(2) send out with (poor or worse) dirk to hunt thrubo/wild pig/rabbit/squirrel (double win with this one if the succeed then you get food, if they die pawn dead with possible angry pack of animals coming to attack and kill colony (probably rabbit and squirrel(but squrrel is te fastest and hardest to hit animal) are the best to attack on other side of map)while pawn alive should be highest hunting),
(3)i f you have a pirate ship contact is to arrest the pawn, then contact pirate ship and sell pawn(mood penalty for selling pawn)

For #1 & #3. The problem is that it's an Ice base so everyone is on the verge of emotional collapse from the start until I can get set up. There's no way I could afford an emotional penalty at  this point in the game.

For #2. Polar areas are completely barren. There are literally no animals to hunt or attack. If I could hunt then I wouldn't be on the verge of starvation like that.

Limdood

if its an ice base, thats easy.

Step 1, strip wanderer.

Step 2, turn off doctoring on other colonists

Step 3, draft wanderer, go for a long walk outside.  Bonus if you stay close to base to body is easy to retrieve.

Step 4, after the collapsed wanderer dies, turn doctoring back on.

No mood penalty, free clothes, weapon, and human meat/leather

SpeedDaemon

Quote from: Spectre on October 31, 2015, 07:11:16 PM
The most reliable way of killing a colonist without a mood penalty is simply drafting them, walling them in somewhere and just waiting. I found any other method tends to other colonists trying to save them or taking a major mood debuff. These days I just build a wall around them, wait for them to starve to death and butcher the body.

This! I'm still waiting for lava, so we can do the Dwarf Fortress, "Look! A masterpiece lever we made just for you! Please give me a second to close this fireproof door before you pull it..."

There have also been a few times I've had to reprimand my construction workers (with lavish meals) after they negligently walled off someone's bedroom door while they were sleeping.

DoctorNick

Okay, is there a way to deal with unwanted wanderers that doesn't devolve into being a brutal sociopath?
Hi everybody!

A Friend

Quote from: DoctorNick on November 02, 2015, 09:02:43 PM
Not wanting to be a brutal sociopath

This is the way Rimworld was meant to be played, you heretic.

Kid friendly alternative: Find an abandoned cryptopod and stick him in there, then forget about him forever.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

harpo99999

Quote from: SpeedDaemon on November 02, 2015, 11:14:30 AM
Quote from: Spectre on October 31, 2015, 07:11:16 PM

This! I'm still waiting for lava, so we can do the Dwarf Fortress, "Look! A masterpiece lever we made just for you! Please give me a second to close this fireproof door before you pull it..."

There have also been a few times I've had to reprimand my construction workers (with lavish meals) after they negligently walled off someone's bedroom door while they were sleeping.
you DO have a chance to create this effect, 1 have a fairly small (minimal free space) room with several either geothermal power plants OR the hot sides of several airconditioners set to cool the other side to very cold, draft the colonist you do not want and locate in the HOT zone, then forbid the stone doors s othat they can not get out, then on the cool side turn on all the airconditioners so that the outer LARGE area cools off and the hot room gets VERY hot (should be possible to get over 300 c  with the aircon method using enough aircons into a small enough room)

LanMc

Quote from: DoctorNick on November 02, 2015, 09:02:43 PM
Okay, is there a way to deal with unwanted wanderers that doesn't devolve into being a brutal sociopath?

I'm with you. 

Someone made a wonderful mod!!!  [A12] Mind Altering Device (v1.0) it's just MAD!

I haven't gotten it installed yet, but will today...  It allows us to switch up a colonist's traits!  So yeah... we might be able to do something with the useless now... that doesn't involve behaving like a psycho sociopath and dreaming up new ways to slaughter them. 

Ya know... some of us Like our pawns!   :D
Hi, my name is Lan and I am a Rimworld addict...

milon

Quote from: A Friend on November 02, 2015, 10:14:49 PMKid friendly alternative: Find an abandoned cryptopod and stick him in there, then forget about him forever.

Truth!