Angiel's suggestions :D

Started by Angiel, October 31, 2015, 12:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angiel

First of all i don't know if any of these have been suggested or maybe that are even considered to be implemented in the future releases.

Second i really don't want to waste time to read through all the forum to find if they were or not :D. IF anyone knows about it, they can leave a reply and i will edit the post :)

These are things i would like to see implemented in future releases of the game. Currently i am still learning this game, which for an alpha is pretty complex, so thanks to all of you who are helping me clear these things out since as you have already seen i have suggested things that currently are in the game but i had no idea about.

Since i am still learning this game i think it is a bit early for me to start using mods though so i think i will stick to the vanilla version for now.

Suggestions:
1. solved choose if the animals go into combat or not. Currently if they are trained in obedience they come when their master is drafted. I know you can just put it to some other person that you usually don't draft, but it might be that that person doesn't have high enough skill.
Solution: none option as master, thank you Limdood

2. i would like to be able to change the order of the pawns and animals in the work and animals tabs
mod solution:EnhancedTabs

3. it would be good if you can choose which items are to be hauled, as in a priority system for items. like i would like food to be carried first, and then weapons and then clothes and not steel first or whatever the hauler wants. this would be valid for constructions also, if you put a lot of construction plans down but somehow your turret gets destroyed and you want to build that on top off all that, i don't want to erase my plans just so that the pawns build the turret first, and to force the pawn to build it i have to do it like at least 3 times or more depending on construction.
4. option for growing zone when you change the plant to be grown, to be able to let the old one grow till 100% and then plant the new one. Cuz sometimes i want to have the plants that are like 70% grown to grow all the way and not cut it prematurely.
5. able to choose how many items go in a pile. for example i want to put some meals in a prisoner room, i don't want to take all 10 of them just 1 or 2 would suffice.
6. option to save the colonies, worlds, settings and everything user related in a location of choice and not only in Appdata/locallow folder.
alternate solution: setting the -savedatafolder flag to the location you want, cmd file in reply nr 4 made by Fluffy

7. more areas for animals. i noticed you can only make 5 areas for animals, i think there should be more, especially since you need to separate males from females if you don't want them to reproduce.

anyway i had other ideas, but i get them when i am playing and by the time i get to the forums i forget them :D.
edit: added no. 5 :)
edit 13.12.2015: 1 is no longer viable, rephrased 6, mod solution for 2 added
edit 22.12.2015: added nr 7

Limdood

#1) you can set animal's masters to "none."  This means they will never come when you draft colonists.  They will be unable to be released while their master is "none."  You can't set the master to "none" until they are trained in obedience.

2) i like this.

3) I like this, I think the only way to implement it would be to add a "haul" tab on the bottom of the screen in which you can set the order for different CATEGORIES of goods.  Alternatively, set haul priority templates (like outfits) and assign each colonist their own haul priority (like outfits) so you could have Tail and Redfords hauling all the NON-food/clothing/weapon items, while everyone else ignores those items.

4) should be easy enough to implement if nothing else

5) I can't think of any easy way to implement this.  But if the prisoner room is your only issue, i've found installing a nutrient paste dispenser in my freezer that breaks thru the wall into the prison to be very effective.  The healthy prisoners can get their own food, and it'll take no time/meals for your colonists once it's all set up.  Colonists still load it in the freezer, but it dispenses straight into the prison.  I always build barracks prisons though, so the one dispenser works.  It helps to reduce problems from berserk pawns (3+ prisoners and the berserker will almost always get beaten unconscious...extra training for doctor patching everyone up)

Angiel

thanks for the none option for the animals, i didn't know there was such an option :D. and i had trouble with the pets i liked always dieing on me.

about the 5th option, it's because i found that putting all prisoners in one room is kinda bad cuz they end up killing each other. so i made them separate rooms, and putting dispensers in each room it's kinda not what i would like to do :D. this is what i found having lots of prisoners and one warden and the prisoners having starvation cuz the warden was doing something else. but i reallocated other pawns to warden and that was solved so it is not such a big deal.

also i found that now i have only prisoners with 99 difficulty to recruit this being i think 4th year into the colony. maybe it's just the game making very difficult to recruit so you don't end up with a huge colony?

and added 6th suggestion and that is for the game to save the colonies and worlds and everything where the game is "installed" as in unzipped :D and not in Appdata/locallow folder.

Toggle

For the 6th suggestion Angiel, then it all gets deleted every time you unpack a new alpha, as I assume you would delete your previous one. Kind of silly to keep it in there, don't see much of a reason to do it by default.

And, 99 recruitment difficulty? Generally tribals.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Fluffy (l2032)

6 is actually possible by setting the -savedatafolder flag to the location you want.

I've attached a batch (.cmd) file that does this for you, just put it in the RW folder (next to RimWorld914Win.exe) and double-click it. That should create a 'Rimworld local savedata' shortcut, start that and the folders will be created. You can then optionally move your old stuff over from the %appdata%/../locallow/ludeon folder into the newly created %RimWorld%/SaveData folder to keep current settings, saves, etc.

Credit where it's due; the .cmd is a shortened version of the one created by simon for the modvariety pack

[attachment deleted due to age]

Toggle

Yeah, part of why I said it's silly is because what fluffy said is possible.

Fluffy (l2032)

Oh and EnhancedTabs allows you to do (2).

Angiel

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 10, 2015, 08:50:40 AM
For the 6th suggestion Angiel, then it all gets deleted every time you unpack a new alpha, as I assume you would delete your previous one. Kind of silly to keep it in there, don't see much of a reason to do it by default.

And, 99 recruitment difficulty? Generally tribals.
Actually to be logically correct it is not silly, silly is to think it gets deleted every time i unpack an archive, that would mean my game would be deleted every time i unpack something totally unrelated to the game, right? it gets deleted if and when I delete the alpha folder of that precise version, if i don't then it would all stay there.
second, i don't think i am supposed to know this game in and out at the command level, am i? to reply to your second reply, i am just an user not a programmer.

and maybe my choice of words wasn't that great. What i meant was that it would have been nice to have a setting in the options menu where you can say where you want to save your worlds, settings etc, i am so deeply sorry for my poor choice of words.

But never the less thank you very much Fluffy for your cmd file and your solution.

and zombie2 instead of downgrading what i want in a game by saying it is silly then maybe instead you should give a suggestion on how i should handle/solve that precise situation, not saying it's silly. maybe you should follow Fluffy's posts and say something useful and not downgrading.

Toggle

I said it because you gave it as a suggestion. You didn't actually indicate whether you needed the data saved anywhere else nor why, and I wasn't familiar enough by memory with the alternate save method to list it.

Fluffy (l2032)

By the way, the savedatafolder flag is not limited to the RimWorld install dir. You can set it to any path you want (but keep in mind relative/absolute paths - google it if you need to). The .cmd also allows changing it, open it with a text editor, one of the first lines should read something like "SET savedatapath='xx'", just change the xx to whereever you want to save. Should also be possible to make it save to a USB drive that way, for example.

Angiel

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 13, 2015, 11:52:57 AM
I said it because you gave it as a suggestion. You didn't actually indicate whether you needed the data saved anywhere else nor why, and I wasn't familiar enough by memory with the alternate save method to list it.
it was the fault of my poor choice of words :). i think anyone would like to save their worlds and settings somewhere easily reachable, and the second reason is that i personally don't like to save anything on my windows partition, so on everything i install i try to save important stuff on my other partitions. and the reason i noticed this, is cuz i changed my laptop recently and surprise i saw my worlds and colonies were gone, and then i searched where the game was saving the worlds and luckily i didn't format my other laptop before i noticed :).
and even you didn't remember the alternate save method, how would a newbie know it :P hence not silly