[A12d][ModPack] The ModVarietyPack

Started by simon-82, November 01, 2015, 02:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roushguy

When a guy with 10 shooting routinely gains 11 shooting after a day's work, then loses it back down to 10 overnight, and all he does all day is hunt/joy/eat, there is a problem. This was a problem for me in vanilla and it is still a problem with the modpack.

TLHeart

Quote from: roushguy on December 21, 2015, 04:55:46 PM
When a guy with 10 shooting routinely gains 11 shooting after a day's work, then loses it back down to 10 overnight, and all he does all day is hunt/joy/eat, there is a problem. This was a problem for me in vanilla and it is still a problem with the modpack.

And does that hunter have a passion for hunting? no then that is what happens, hard to increase skill.
Give him a short range weapon so he takes more shots, which will increase his learning. 

Many options to increase skill level..  There are even training options within the mod pack...

Mad skills is the easy way to play the game.

Devilsgamer666

Hello, I am wondering if I need a certain tech level before I can replace limbs, as I currently poses a bionic leg and a colonist is missing their leg and I do not have the option to install it.

paragonid

Do you mean it's impossible to get shooting skill over 10 without passion or it's something like 10.5 in morning, 11.0 in evening and 10.8 next morning?

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Devilsgamer666 on December 21, 2015, 10:07:57 PM
Hello, I am wondering if I need a certain tech level before I can replace limbs, as I currently poses a bionic leg and a colonist is missing their leg and I do not have the option to install it.
Yep, medicine III or IV, somewhere down that line at least.

Fluffy (l2032)

If that pawn has no passion in shooting, that is absolutely fine and expected behaviour. You're basically forcing a guy who has no skill or desire to learn how to shoot, why would you expect him to learn? I could give you a lecture on statistics each day for a year, but unless you're actually interested in it I have no expectation that you will ever learn the more advanced parts...

If he does have a passion, that is a bit odd.

Edeal

Hi again, I need some help to make AIs mobile work.
For now I've built two of them and they're still inactive although my scientist did all the AI researchs.

I seek in the "Help" but it doesn't help. I have all the stuff required but I just ignore what is the next step.

paragonid

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on December 22, 2015, 05:36:29 AM
If that pawn has no passion in shooting, that is absolutely fine and expected behaviour. You're basically forcing a guy who has no skill or desire to learn how to shoot, why would you expect him to learn? I could give you a lecture on statistics each day for a year, but unless you're actually interested in it I have no expectation that you will ever learn the more advanced parts...

Have you guys really never seen people good in something they don't really like?

I'm pretty sure if you don't like guns but want to actually survive somewhere where you're being in life-danger every 10 days, especially if you use the skill, you will master it pretty soon. Surviving means more than lack of interest for most of human beings.

The whole passion mechanics is kind of simplified and raw. If you have skill 10, it looks pretty unrealistic to forget over the night what you learnt yesterday... especially if you do it over and over again. It's frustrating and bad design in general. Some kind of upper skill limit would be much better than aggressive skill decreasing.

I'm surprised you're so controlling in the way someone wants to play his game. You're modders in the end, you should support different gameplay tastes.

Well configurable games, e.g. modded Jagged Alliance 2, would just put a checkbox to turn on and off such minor options.

Back to original message:
Quote from: roushguy on December 21, 2015, 01:12:39 PM
Is there any way to make MadSkills work with this mod? If not, is there any way to slow down or stop skill rust? It's just way too fast in vanilla, I struggle to keep my colonists above ten skill. :(

roushguy never asked to add MadSkills to this modback for everyone or anything. He came to ask for advice for his personal playthrough. There's really no reason to tell him that your personal taste on it is different

Cmoa666

For Madskill, i think that the last version (A11) worked for A12. just install and activate it and start a new game (preferably with a new world)

TLHeart

Quote from: paragonid on December 22, 2015, 08:44:20 AM
Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on December 22, 2015, 05:36:29 AM

Have you guys really never seen people good in something they don't really like?

I'm pretty sure if you don't like guns but want to actually survive somewhere where you're being in life-danger every 10 days, especially if you use the skill, you will master it pretty soon. Surviving means more than lack of interest for most of human beings.

The whole passion mechanics is kind of simplified and raw. If you have skill 10, it looks pretty unrealistic to forget over the night what you learnt yesterday... especially if you do it over and over again. It's frustrating and bad design in general. Some kind of upper skill limit would be much better than aggressive skill decreasing.

I'm surprised you're so controlling in the way someone wants to play his game. You're modders in the end, you should support different gameplay tastes.

Well configurable games, e.g. modded Jagged Alliance 2, would just put a checkbox to turn on and off such minor options.

Back to original message:
Quote from: roushguy on December 21, 2015, 01:12:39 PM
Is there any way to make MadSkills work with this mod? If not, is there any way to slow down or stop skill rust? It's just way too fast in vanilla, I struggle to keep my colonists above ten skill. :(

roushguy never asked to add MadSkills to this modback for everyone or anything. He came to ask for advice for his personal playthrough. There's really no reason to tell him that your personal taste on it is different

first off the passion skill is not simple. at level 10 that is 10,000 points of learned knowledge. That learned knowledge goes down by 1 point to 9,999, which will show as skill 9. The next work will raise it to skill 10. But skill is ONLY 1/3 of the total ability to do shooting. The quality and durability of the weapon, and the health of the colonist also affect just how good of a shot the colonist is.

Toggle switches will never be part of rimworld. Not support, never intended by Tynan.

If roughguy wants to add the mod to HIS game, let him try. Simple as download the mod, install and see if it works.

Otherwise he is requesting it be added to the mod pack, and I say no, why dumb down the game.

gnomeknows

Having issues with installation.  Followed the wiki installation for windows, including the last step of starting and restarting the game with the shortcut.  Ran through it three times now to make sure everything was done in the correct order but it still shows all but the core mod with a red X in the mod list, running A12d.  So I've hit a wall, not sure what else to try?

Devilsgamer666

Hopefully the last newb question from me, How do I acquire sand?

I realize now that I have forgotten to thank all the people who have helped me up to this point, so Thank you

FurryLovingGuy

How do I safely remove Infusions from the mod? I just find it silly that every piece of equipment is infused to drastically increase charisma psych or all these crazy things. Like, literally every single weapon or piece of clothing is "special". I tried simply removing LT-Infusion from the mod order, but then the game crashes the moment an infusable item is shown.

I'm going to be doing my own research, will edit this post if I find a way.

TLHeart

Quote from: Devilsgamer666 on December 22, 2015, 09:03:32 PM
Hopefully the last newb question from me, How do I acquire sand?

I realize now that I have forgotten to thank all the people who have helped me up to this point, so Thank you

you grind rocks into sand at the stone table. Same place you make stone blocks.

TLHeart

Quote from: FurryLovingGuy on December 22, 2015, 10:36:18 PM
How do I safely remove Infusions from the mod? I just find it silly that every piece of equipment is infused to drastically increase charisma psych or all these crazy things. Like, literally every single weapon or piece of clothing is "special". I tried simply removing LT-Infusion from the mod order, but then the game crashes the moment an infusable item is shown.

I'm going to be doing my own research, will edit this post if I find a way.

there is NO easy way to remove the infused items from a current game...

don't want the infusing happening, remove the infusion mod from the game, create a new world, and start a new colony... no more infused items.