Legitimate Early Acess, safe to buy?

Started by gnomeknows, December 11, 2015, 01:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnomeknows

Tried the game out the last couple days and really wanted to grab it for christmas, but I read that the dev is on a six month vacation?  It looks fishy, is he really coming back, or is this another early access scam?

Austupaio

I doubt it's a scam, as he has been personally invested in this for quite a bit longer than that vacation time. If that's a concern for you though, then no, don't buy. Six months is a pretty damned long time to just disappear, so maybe wait until he's come back to make your decision. Bookmark it, forget it and you'll probably end up finding the bookmark a few months down the road.

However, I do think the game is worthwhile even now, I know I've played it quite a bit, and the modding community is quite good and extends the life of the game considerably. Again though, if Tynan (the developer) doesn't come back or, more likely, just isn't very 'into' the game when he does, the modding community will probably stagnate very quickly.

tl;dr it's probably a safe bet, but if you're worried about it, don't.

Fernbhoy

Though admitting to piracy isn't the best idea for a first post :D

gnomeknows

QuoteThough admitting to piracy isn't the best idea for a first post :D
There are a large number of actual early access scams, or people who just give up on their projects and "forget" to say anything so sales keep coming in.  I am protecting myself as a customer by trying before buying.

Appreciate the reply Austupaio, it's actually the mods that made me want to purchase. 

REMworlder

I mean, RimWorld is a functional bug-free game currently with a ton of features. Which is more than can be said for Towns, DF-9, etc...

Tynan's got the long con going

Windsong

It's not a 30 dollar purchase I regret, that's for sure. Even shared it with a few friends way back under the ultimatum they bought it. Wasn't going to keep updating their game for them.

Four out of five have bought it. The fifth refuses to because "it's a prison builder ripoff".

Also Ty still has a better track record than Notch.

Austupaio

Quote from: gnomeknows on December 11, 2015, 02:12:55 PM
QuoteThough admitting to piracy isn't the best idea for a first post :D
There are a large number of actual early access scams, or people who just give up on their projects and "forget" to say anything so sales keep coming in.  I am protecting myself as a customer by trying before buying.
Don't blame you, but it's just good manners not to be blatant about it.

On the mod front, it's also a good game for getting into modding, if that's your thing. Like Starsector or some others, it's easy to get into and you can get creative with it.

Quote from: Windsong on December 11, 2015, 04:55:46 PM
Pretty much everyone does at this point, now that's a purchase I regret.

A Friend

SUPERIOR MOD CONETENTS, YEA

Quote from: Austupaio on December 11, 2015, 04:57:51 PM

Never followed Minecraft, what happened?
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Thane

Minecraft got sold to Microsoft. Now the whole game is I don't know in limbo, though it's under an apparently  still being updated, and still no modding API. Makes getting all the awesome mods to work quite a chore.

Anyway back to topic: This game is worth 30 bucks. There is still a lot of work going on behind the scenes look at his latest blog: https://ludeon.com/blog/

It's dated the 12th of November and apparently colonist relations are on the way!
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Windsong

Quote from: A Friend on December 11, 2015, 05:13:56 PM
SUPERIOR MOD CONETENTS, YEA

Quote from: Austupaio on December 11, 2015, 04:57:51 PM

Never followed Minecraft, what happened?

Prior to it being sold. Back before Minecraft was even its own program, you played it in browser. Survival had points and a dedicated arrow shot button. Notch played with his players, joining random servers and seeing what people built. Sales began paying for his life.
He began to take vacations. A few days here. A promised update missed there. Before long he spent more time on vacation than working on the game. Notch abandoned his original fans and listened to a young reddits opinion and sold more, while alienating the people that supported him.

Now he's rich and lonely with a candy bar next to his personal gym in Beverly Hills.

porcupine

Quote from: Fernbhoy on December 11, 2015, 02:00:43 PM

Did he admit to piracy?

I mean, for all you or I know, he has friends who bought it, and tried it there, etc.

Jumping to assumptions is probably worse. 

Heck, even if he pirates it, I'm sure Tynan has already done some of the basic math on why "x level of piracy is desirable", God knows any serious software outfit has, look at M$ in HK/CN and all :D.

Austupaio

Quote from: Windsong on December 11, 2015, 07:36:57 PM
Sales began paying for his life. He began to take vacations. A few days here. A promised update missed there. Before long he spent more time on vacation than working on the game.
This all the way, that's why I don't blame people for looking at Tynan's six month vacation with some worry about the future of the game.

gnomeknows

Quote from: porcupine on December 11, 2015, 09:55:52 PM
Quote from: Fernbhoy on December 11, 2015, 02:00:43 PM

Did he admit to piracy?

I mean, for all you or I know, he has friends who bought it, and tried it there, etc.

Jumping to assumptions is probably worse. 

Heck, even if he pirates it, I'm sure Tynan has already done some of the basic math on why "x level of piracy is desirable", God knows any serious software outfit has, look at M$ in HK/CN and all :D.

You have to look at the whole piracy thing objectively or you'll just chase yourself in circles.

1) if you pirate, enjoy it, but don't buy, you aren't a threat, you are just an ******.
2) if you pirate and seed or re-upload, you are a legitimate threat and should be prosecuted.
3) if you pirate because demo's are inherently a falsification of the actual product, and buy if you are satisfied with the pirated product, then you are a customer.  I never seed.  Take away torrent's and It means I just have to do more research before deciding on a purchase.  Torrents just save time.
Quote from: Austupaio on December 11, 2015, 10:07:24 PM
Quote from: Windsong on December 11, 2015, 07:36:57 PM
Sales began paying for his life. He began to take vacations. A few days here. A promised update missed there. Before long he spent more time on vacation than working on the game.
This all the way, that's why I don't blame people for looking at Tynan's six month vacation with some worry about the future of the game.

This is the exact reason why I posted this thread in the first place.  In all likelihood he is off spending every last penny of the early access money.  That's not a bad thing, if he comes back and abandons the project, then it most definitely is and will propagate the issue of early access scams.  I've already decided to wait until he comes back to make a purchase.

User was warned for this post: Rule 6, no discussion of piracy.

Thane

I again point you all to his most recent blog. It isn't like he's completely off; more like quarter time. Also, even if he was going to drop the game it looks like he might be grooming a certain young man named Piotr to take over. Piotr has been slaving away on A13 ever since A12.

If you look at that post A13 promises to be absolutely massive in a couple months!
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

A Friend

Quote from: Thane on December 12, 2015, 12:26:12 AM
I again point you all to his most recent blog. It isn't like he's completely off; more like quarter time. Also, even if he was going to drop the game it looks like he might be grooming a certain young man named Piotr to take over. Piotr has been slaving away on A13 ever since A12.

If you look at that post A13 promises to be absolutely massive in a couple months!

Careful not to OD on hype. Too much than the recommended dose can result in fatal disappointment.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"