[1.3] Remote Tech (2.4.0) - Formerly Remote Explosives

Started by UnlimitedHugs, January 10, 2016, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lem Wright

Wait, what's so much worse about harmful gasses when the mod already adds ways to violently dismember and kill people?

faltonico

Quote from: Lem Wright on January 23, 2017, 10:32:20 AM
Wait, what's so much worse about harmful gasses when the mod already adds ways to violently dismember and kill people?
And burn them to dust... lets not forget that.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Madman666 on January 23, 2017, 09:41:35 AM
A little question for you @UnlimitedHugs, if you have the time.

Right, you could use that hediff for other applications, like being applied by a custom DamageDef. This would allow you to use the added vanillaLethalityChance field while defining your hediff. A value of 0.5 would give the pawn a 50% survival guarantee, and in the other 50% of cases its survival is determined by the vanilla roll- which is like 30% for humanoids.

@Lem Wright, @faltonico
Just going with my gut here. It's important to feel good about the thing you're making if you want it to work out well and have people benefit from it.
Frankly, if I had to remake this mod from scratch, I would just ditch it and make something more peaceful and constructive. But since it's already made, I get to support it- which if fine.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Madman666

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on January 24, 2017, 05:29:54 AM
Quote from: Madman666 on January 23, 2017, 09:41:35 AM
A little question for you @UnlimitedHugs, if you have the time.

Right, you could use that hediff for other applications, like being applied by a custom DamageDef. This would allow you to use the added vanillaLethalityChance field while defining your hediff. A value of 0.5 would give the pawn a 50% survival guarantee, and in the other 50% of cases its survival is determined by the vanilla roll- which is like 30% for humanoids.

Thank you!) I really wish I could code dlls... How much of c# you need to know to understand whats going on in there and how to add this lethality chance for example?

Also will incorporating the dll from your explosive mod make this gun dependent on HugsLib?

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Madman666 on January 24, 2017, 07:40:50 AM
Thank you!) I really wish I could code dlls... How much of c# you need to know to understand whats going on in there and how to add this lethality chance for example?

Actually, in this case- not much at all. There are two classes involved here- Hediff_NonLethal and HediffDef_NonLethal. Here's where the lethality chance appears in the xml defs.

Quote from: Madman666 on January 24, 2017, 07:40:50 AM
Also will incorporating the dll from your explosive mod make this gun dependent on HugsLib?

Well, including the dll would include the whole mod, which wouldn't work without the xml files and other assets. Your best bet is to take the two files I mentioned and compile them into a little dll of your own.
It's a bit daunting if you're just getting started, but there are some tutorials on the modding help board if you're looking for pointers.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Madman666

Thank you for the pointers! For now I am not even at the starting line, all I know is how to tamper with xmls. I'll look through links you've provided) I am really grateful)

fuman200

Just wanted to thank the modder for this wonderfull mode.  I have solved my mountain base hive infestation problem by making all the rooms gas chambers hahaha. Link if anyone wants to take a look at what i did and how i Handle them pesky bugs  https://youtu.be/5j8l3Uz2wTc

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: fuman200 on January 25, 2017, 03:37:00 AM
Just wanted to thank the modder for this wonderfull mode.  I have solved my mountain base hive infestation problem by making all the rooms gas chambers hahaha. Link if anyone wants to take a look at what i did and how i Handle them pesky bugs  https://youtu.be/5j8l3Uz2wTc

Hey, good job on the video. It was a treat to watch someone actually play the mod.
Changing the channels didn't work because a colonist has to walk over to the charge to actually switch it to the new channel- would be way too easy otherwise :)
I'll add a label to the button to make it clearer that the charge is still waiting to be switched.
Also, you could lay networks of detonator wire in the walls to make multiple groups of charges, with a separate manual detonator on each network.
It probably took a while to vent the gas out of the rooms. I'll have to look into those powered gas vents.

Madman666

fuman200

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on January 25, 2017, 05:16:00 AM
Quote from: fuman200 on January 25, 2017, 03:37:00 AM
Hey, good job on the video. It was a treat to watch someone actually play the mod.
Changing the channels didn't work because a colonist has to walk over to the charge to actually switch it to the new channel- would be way too easy otherwise :)
I'll add a label to the button to make it clearer that the charge is still waiting to be switched.
Also, you could lay networks of detonator wire in the walls to make multiple groups of charges, with a separate manual detonator on each network.
It probably took a while to vent the gas out of the rooms. I'll have to look into those powered gas vents.

Thank you UnlimitedHugs for the feedback and also the idea of laying a network of detonators.  I didn't realize that I need my people to go into actually change the channel too.  One of my other defensive plans of using your remote bombs mod was to make my gate entrance a room full of your incendiary remote bombs.

Great mod. Ill mention your name in my video description if you don't mind.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: fuman200 on January 25, 2017, 08:44:28 AM
Great mod. Ill mention your name in my video description if you don't mind.

Of course. Looking forward to the next episode :)

Madman666

Hey there, I ran into an error with Explosives workbench - when I try to create a bill it gives me this:

Created FloatMenu with no options. Closing.
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.FloatMenu:.ctor(List`1)
RimWorld.BillStack:DoListing(Rect, Func`1, Vector2&, Single&)
RemoteExplosives.ITab_ExplosivesBills:FillTab()
Verse.<DoTabGUI>c__AnonStorey3C6:<>m__566()
Verse.ImmediateWindow:DoWindowContents(Rect)
HugsLib.GuiInject.<>c__DisplayClass1:<_WindowOnGUI>b__0(Int32)
UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)

Its probably a mod conflict, I have damn lots of them, but they are actually all inactive, the only mods enabled are explosives and Hugslib. Trying to find out what is the problem, can you help? Thanks.

UPD: Completely deleting all mods beside HugsLib and Explosives didn't solve the issue, thats not a mod conflict. Its seemed to be working fine for the youtuber guy. I wonder whats wrong? Tried steam and non-steam versions - results are same.

Cassiopea

So with your mod I now have a new "favorite stupid colonist death" moment. I was mainly interested in getting the shaped charges and clearing mountains overheads. In my flat map, it would have made it infestation proof. I go on, do the research and build the explosives and a remote detonator. And boom. The rocks fall in a neat animation but I noticed that some of the thick roof is still there. No problem! I think as I have spare charges. I plant them and send a colonist to set the detonator. I center the screen on the demolition area when I heard the beeps to watch the neat explosion again. And right there, in the center of the explosion, my builder colonist was there putting roofs on as the game puts an automatic build roof area on when you demolish the mountain. And yup, drafted him but he was too slow to escape the blast radius and was crushed to death by a falling boulder. I honestly wasn't upset. I was laughing out loud.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Madman666 on January 25, 2017, 06:00:01 PM
Hey there, I ran into an error with Explosives workbench - when I try to create a bill it gives me this:

That error happens when placing the workbench in dev mode. Since the first workbench recipe unlocks together with the workbench itself, this isn't an issue for regular play.
In other words, this can be fixed by unlocking the detonator research.

Quote from: Cassiopea on January 25, 2017, 08:07:14 PM
So with your mod I now have a new "favorite stupid colonist death" moment.

Oh wow, that is one silly way to go. Guess he wasn't wearing this hard hat.
Unfortunately the game puts up automatic roof build orders for roofless enclosed areas, which makes the shaped charge way more complicated than it needs to be. That must be where the errors are coming from, but I've yet to pinpoint the exact cause.

Madman666

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on January 26, 2017, 01:45:50 AM
That error happens when placing the workbench in dev mode. Since the first workbench recipe unlocks together with the workbench itself, this isn't an issue for regular play.
In other words, this can be fixed by unlocking the detonator research.

Ah! That explains it. I was testing new mod setup for possible errors and incompatibilities before launching a run. Thanks for your reply :D You might want to mention this little problem somewhere, so that people like me won't ask those questions because it does actually work fine.