Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I'm liking a lot of these recent suggestions, very practical minded.

Quote- Add a minimum stock requirement to hoppers, preferably configurable and default to 50% capacity, before a colonist with the cooking job attempts to refill the hopper. This will save valuable time in that a colonist with the cooking job won't have to come refill the hopper with 10 potatoes each and every time someone gets a nutrient paste meal, while still keeping the hopper from going entirely empty.

- Allow colonists to pick up partial stacks to carry a full 75 when possible. For example, there are three stacks of 50 metal next to each other. From my observations in Alpha 1, the colonist won't pick up any more if the total of both stacks is more than 75. In the pre-alpha, they made more efficient use of their time by picking up that 50 and another 25 from a second stack, requiring only two trips instead of three.

These are going on the investigation list; they're borderline bugs as it is.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

palandus

Have cooks make premade meals and store them in a stockpile. This would allow your colonists to eat meals when there is a solar flare, an eclipse, your nutrient paste dispenser exploded (electric shortcircuit), or the dispenser has no power. This causes your colonists to use up less food during these instances and avoid the larger debuff from eating raw potatoes.

You could set it up so that the cooks will only make premade meals IF and ONLY IF there is storage space available for cooked meals. So they won't make any meals if all stockpiles are listed as "not accepting" meals. And as colonists will default to eating meals now, colonists will go to the stockpile for their food when the hoppers run out.

ApexPredator

Quote from: palandus on January 31, 2014, 11:12:54 PM
Have cooks make premade meals and store them in a stockpile. This would allow your colonists to eat meals when there is a solar flare, an eclipse, your nutrient paste dispenser exploded (electric shortcircuit), or the dispenser has no power. This causes your colonists to use up less food during these instances and avoid the larger debuff from eating raw potatoes.

You could set it up so that the cooks will only make premade meals IF and ONLY IF there is storage space available for cooked meals. So they won't make any meals if all stockpiles are listed as "not accepting" meals. And as colonists will default to eating meals now, colonists will go to the stockpile for their food when the hoppers run out.
+1 good idea. I did notice the stockpiles have an option for meals when I drafted someone who was holding a meal, they dropped it and someone hauled it to a stockpile.

Thunder Rahja

- Adding to my previous suggestion, have medical skill influence the rate that an incapacitated pawn takes damage while being rescued or captured. For medical skill level 0-4, cause damage rate to increase (inexperienced medics cause more harm than good), and at medical skill level 20, no damage at all.

- Make raiders prefer to shoot at colonists firing at them, rather than at colonists attempting to rescue others, until there are no other targets in the area. Someone shooting at your team should be a bigger threat than someone dragging their friend out of a firefight. Unless of course they've got a totally cruel leader.

- Make colonist rescues automatic when a colonist is given the doctor job.

- Not sure if this is a bug, but colonists need to be able to put out burning colonists that are outside the home area.

- Have fires leave behind ash that fades away in time on terrain, or burn marks on man-made flooring that can be cleaned by colonists.

Quote from: Shaithis on January 31, 2014, 03:45:20 PM
The ability to forbid things from interaction. For example, a lot of structures deteriorate over time but often I'll colonists running of to repair them when I would rather have a million other things done. Could you let us say... forbid chunks of a wall? They would be ignored and wouldn't get repaired until the forbidden flag is removed.
For that you might be interested in setting manual priorities in the colony window. I usually just untick the job from every colonist if I want other things done for the short term.

ApexPredator

I don't know if this has been brought up but I was thinking that the sleeping spot needs to have the enjoyment reduced. An outline on the ground gets a 8/10 while a bed is 10/10. I would think some ground outline would be more like a 2 or 4. Maybe have outdoor sleeping spot be a 2 while an indoor is a 5 and a bed is a 10.

Paul_Wortmann

- Corpses decompose when buried or if not used.

- An incinerator to burn waste, corpses, rubble and debris. (could emit toxic fumes randomly)

- Sell waste, corpses, rubble and debris. (could pay to have them removed)

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Paul_Wortmann on February 01, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

- An incinerator to burn waste, corpses, rubble and debris. (could emit toxic fumes randomly)

Soon you will be able to eat corpses, so, no need for an incinerator...:P
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

TimMartland

Towers! They would be metal watchtower-like constructions that people can climb into to boost range and sight, and to give them a protection boost. If the tower collapsed with a person inside, they would take lots of damage
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Ender

Quote from: Untrustedlife on February 02, 2014, 02:04:13 PM
Quote from: Paul_Wortmann on February 01, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

Soon you will be able to eat corpses, so, no need for an incinerator...:P
Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!!
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

failtolawl

upgradeable solar panels (more futuristic, current ones are current age looking), upgradeable beds (sleeping pods)

Poko

"Alien Artifact" discoveries when mining rock.  Cheapest Ideas version will probably be a weapon with some kind of cool stats (BFG 9000 please!).  Add on a raider attack to steal the gun maybe. 
More expensive version would be a building blueprint or cryogenically frozen alien that joins your colony.

An event like the one that drives all the squirrels mad, but that drives the Muffalos mad.  (Please allow turrets to fire at Muffalo first though)

Kirktheturk

Tasergun - a short ranged weapon that incapacitates an enemy for capture.
Grenade Launcher - the same damage as a frag grenade but with a slower reload time and longer range.
Different Turrets -example Sniper Turret(long range long reload), Shotgun Turret(Short range high damage) Etc...
Guard Post - a place where you can set up a guard shift/roster for permanent military personnel to keep watch.
Imperial Tax - An event where your colony is contacted by an imperial Tax Collector and you can ether pay the tax or resist and they send some marines to "convince you to pay".
Personnel IDs - Doors only accept a person who has a key card to fit that door. Example- Only people in the military can enter the door to the Armory or only a farmer can enter a hydroponics room.

insanityfarm

This thread is a brilliant idea, I wish more game developers did this!

• I keep missing messages. I'm well aware this is my fault, but I'd love to see an optional (could be enabled/disabled in the menu) way of making messages more evident. This could be the mail icon flashing, the message opening immediately and pausing the game upon arriving, or even just adjusting the volume or length of the alert sound. I think of all 3 ideas, I'd prefer the second, but something would be nice.
  • A keyboard shortcut for cycling colonist descriptions/menus. If you want an example, look at another Kickstarter game, Timber & Stone. In Timber & Stone, "[" and "]" cycle through all members of your settlement, automatically pulling up the first menu, and then F1-F4 pull up the different menus available for the settler. This would be really convenient if I just want to flip through and compare colonists' skills, overview colonists' thoughts, etc.

Tynan

Quote from: insanityfarm on February 03, 2014, 04:30:03 PM
This thread is a brilliant idea, I wish more game developers did this!

• I keep missing messages. I'm well aware this is my fault, but I'd love to see an optional (could be enabled/disabled in the menu) way of making messages more evident. This could be the mail icon flashing, the message opening immediately and pausing the game upon arriving, or even just adjusting the volume or length of the alert sound. I think of all 3 ideas, I'd prefer the second, but something would be nice.
  • A keyboard shortcut for cycling colonist descriptions/menus. If you want an example, look at another Kickstarter game, Timber & Stone. In Timber & Stone, "[" and "]" cycle through all members of your settlement, automatically pulling up the first menu, and then F1-F4 pull up the different menus available for the settler. This would be really convenient if I just want to flip through and compare colonists' skills, overview colonists' thoughts, etc.

I've seen 1a lot; I'll look into it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

insanityfarm

Quote from: Tynan on February 03, 2014, 04:35:11 PM
I've seen 1a lot; I'll look into it.

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it! Yeah, I've lost colonies due to not realizing that raiders had landed.

Also, it's possible that this is already possible, and I've just missed how to do it, but:
3. Ordering a military-drafted colonist to unequip a weapon and set it in a certain place. So far, equipping  a specified weapon has been easy, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to say "go put your Lee Enfield rifle back in equipment slot where you found it", etc.