[Mod request] ACTUALLY complete the whole project when we tell them to

Started by 10001110, February 01, 2016, 10:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maybe this has been requested before, maybe it's not quite possible, or maybe there is a mod for this already (which i don't know about, if so, please linky?), would it be possible to mod colonist behavior so they actually complete something we tell them to? Haul everything needed, then build, not just haul some material and take off to do something else.

lude

I second this, but I imagine it to be quite hard since the problem is related to priorities of the pawn and i imagine it would have to overridden in a more elaborate way than it is currently

skullywag

prioritising is actually just a forced job interruption, pawns have job queues, wouldn't be crazy difficult to write something that queued up jobs, getting this to run instead of the current prioritisation and the working out of what each job needs to be before adding it to the queue would probably be where the difficulty lies.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: skullywag on February 03, 2016, 09:13:42 AM
prioritising is actually just a forced job interruption, pawns have job queues, wouldn't be crazy difficult to write something that queued up jobs, getting this to run instead of the current prioritisation and the working out of what each job needs to be before adding it to the queue would probably be where the difficulty lies.
that, and you're designating the items that will be used when you set a job. That means you either have to reserve them for the pawn ( which might lead to stacks being reserved for a long time ), or trust that the item is still available when previous jobs are done ( which will lead to errors ). Not sure how this would play out.

Besides, have you seen the code for the right click context menu? That shit is ugly, long, and very opaque.

What about small temporary stockpiles being automatically created around the building area, with top priority, set for the building materials? Haulers would carry the mats there, builder would build. Once the project was completed, the stockpiles deleted.
We can do this manually in preparation for a project, sure, but something like this would benefit efficiency.

lude

Quote from: 10001110 on February 18, 2016, 10:23:34 AM
What about small temporary stockpiles being automatically created around the building area, with top priority, set for the building materials? Haulers would carry the mats there, builder would build. Once the project was completed, the stockpiles deleted.
We can do this manually in preparation for a project, sure, but something like this would benefit efficiency.
I would love that as vanilla feature, especially mods that add to the difficulty by introducing several new stuffs would benefit, since having 5 different stuffs and some of these 6-10 times what a hauler can carry can lead to really long building times unless you make those stacks yourself.

I mean, the building job creating a hauling job/designation and then being a hauling job until it's finished, it would also fit more into how stuff is done, let cheap workers do the hard workers and then cash in :E be the hero of construction

Grimandevil

Quote from: 10001110 on February 18, 2016, 10:23:34 AM
I actually do this when constructing big ugly stuff far away from home, so that my 1 poor builder wont take 100 trips back and forth, but thats a lot of unneded micro.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Going back up to the OP and thinking about Fluffy's response, maybe this could make it possible? Pawns already check if there are enough materials to build something, and the closest stockpile to get them from, if i'm not wrong. Then this would not be a series of forced queues to haul and build, just simply build.