Just started. Got a bunch of dumb questions...

Started by Shian, January 27, 2014, 10:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shian

So, there's a bunch of "rock rubble" in my colony. Is there any way to get rid of that?
I keep getting "hideous environment" debuffs even though each colonist has their own 3x4 carpeted or smooth stone room with a pot, light and a bed.
If I try to "haul debris", I get the feedback, "Must haul debris"

Not sure what to do for these ingrates. The wiki is rather sparse (it is an alpha after all) and I really don't have the patience to listen to 35+ youtube videos where the narrator sunds like he's falling asleep as he talks.

Look at the last post please :)

ItchyFlea

To get rid of the rubble piles, you'll need to apply a home zone to the area. Then you can order your colonists to clean up the rubble.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Shian

Okay.... that's an interesting answer. Looks like only one person can actually clean.
My miner :( Good to know. Guess I need to start making those prisons to capture more people sooner rather than later.

Shian

My ONE cleaner finally cleaned everything, but now they're complaining about cramped quarters. -_- Okay... well, the plan is to shuffle them in to progressively larger rooms, but does anyone know at what point "cramped" goes away?

I'm currently building 4x4 rooms but should I skip that and go to 5x5 instead? Is there some other part of my colony (like the passageways) that will give them the "cramped" thought so I can improve that?

It would be nice if I could actually forbid certain beds so they'd stop using the green ones until I get more colonists.

cambam33

I am pretty sure to remove the cramped debuff a room needs to be at least 6x6

ItchyFlea

Rooms need to have 27 walkable tiles to prevent getting the cramped debuff. I've also read that keeping the beds away from the walls helps. I don't think room size matters too much, as the debuff is removed as soon as they leave the room.

For prisons, the debuff does matter, as it seems to decrease the chance of wardens successfully recruiting the prisoners.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

palandus

Basically unless you have more space for a colony than you need, and too many resources, then you can build each person their own massive house for sleeping in. Otherwise, just go for a simple 3x3 or 3x4 room with a larger 7x7 or 8x8 common area. As there are only in their rooms once per day really, there isn't much point to having massive areas for their sleeping quarters.

As long as you keep them away from corpses, keep them fed, bury dead colonists (or blow em up or burn em), allow them sleeping time, most of the time you won't have problems with morale.

Shian

Thank you for the info.
Wow 6x6 is really harsh... I think I'll eat the debuff and keep them in the 3x4 rooms or maybe I'll start stuffing them in 1x3s just so they don't have to walk as far and can be productive. Only prisoners will get good rooms...

Do I have to do anything to mark something as a prison? Will they just not be able to use doors or something? I guess I'll go look at the wiki a little more but so far every entry is a bit generic so far ^_^;

I have a dead person on the edge of my map. There's several open graves for it but I can't seem to make my colony go bury it (I've un-forbidden it). Do I have to worry about it since it's well out of sight? What about the blood left behind?

ItchyFlea

The only way to mark an area as a prison is to mark the beds it contains for prisoner use.

As for the dead body, the colonists only get a timed debuff (goes away after a day I believe) if they wander close to it (Don't know the range, sorry.). If the graves you have accept both colonist and stranger corpses, your guys should be hauling it to them. You can always force someone to haul it if need be, or burn it.  :)

Tynan

I've just rebalanced these and added a buff for nice spacious interiors.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

palandus

@Tynan; Nice, looking forward to that.

@Shian; I believe the range is somewhere between 10-15 squares away for a corpse to give a debuff. Also you may be wondering what we mean by "burning" the corpse. Typically this means having a colonist equipped with grenades or molotovs or t4 incendiary launcher and then clicking on "F" (manual fire button) and then clicking on the corpse.

Shian

Oh, nice! Thank you for the rebalance. :)

Okay... next question. (I'll run out of these eventually? Sorry guys :( and thank you for all your patience.)

...How do I get new colonists? There's been a drop where I got an injured colonist, but I didn't treat it in time and it died.
Turrets kill raiders. *sadface*
and I'm not sure how to recruit drifters.

Tynan

If you get to them before they die, you can throw them in prison, then heal and recruit them.

You can arrest passing travelers.

You can buy slaves.

Sometimes people just join you randomly.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

palandus

Certain damage types are also more prone at incapping a colonist than others (found via datamining).

Bludgeoning [Melee Probably] = 2.0 x IncapChance (which is 1% unless its been changed)
Fire [Molotovs and T4 Incendiary Launchers produce fire]= 1.5 x IncapChance