Heist / Robbery

Started by thedee05, March 05, 2016, 11:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedee05

Raiders or Sappers try to take your silver and gold.

Mrred1

"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." ~ Robert Bloch ~

jzero

but then get shot. Why would they put in the effort of breaking in to steal ONLY gold + silver when chances are they would have to destroy the colony to get it?
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

Livingston I Presume

Good point, for this to work they'd have to have some sort of special mechanic that makes the event very unique.  Maybe they drop into where your silver and gold is kept or something?

giannikampa

Yes on this! not a new suggestion but still a reasonable implementation to the game mechanics, imo.
I would expect 2 behaviours: Either enemies try to equip a better weapon or clothing in combat phase (conditions: distance, difference vs currently equipped, already done a switch) And try to rob a hi price thing around them in flee phase.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

skullywag

Steel meds. Produces much more drama.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Limdood

currently, when enough raiders have died, they cut and run, right?

additionally, when there are some incapacitated colonists or hostile-to-the-raiders-pawns that the raiders can grab and haul off, the raiders will do so and leave.

What if non-siege events were modified so that assaulting factions would assign values to different ITEMS as well as considering kidnapping?  Suddenly ALL raids become, well, actual RAIDS instead of simple murder-suicide-missions.  Maybe pirates place a high value on weapons, armor, and silver.  Tribals place a higher value on food and clothing.  Mechanoids can place a value on AI cores and alien artifacts (psychic lances, etc.).  Outlander towns can value all sorts of things.

This makes raids less "free wealth from bodies and weapons" and more threats at any level.  Mechanoids will only take high high value objects to compensate for their low numbers.  Tribals will take low value items, but 30 tribals each grabbing the biggest stack of food they can reach....

It would be complicated coding...they'd have to prioritize by proximity as well as reachability (can they path to it?  thru 1 wall? or thru a gigantic maze and sandbags?).  pawns would have to prioritize stacks, and have a prioritized list of items and "soft" breakpoints for "grab what they can" or hard one for "flee for our lives!"

Toggle

It would be interesting, but I doubt they'd ever actually get anything if they didn't destroy the colony with that. Most people have their stockpiles behind the majority of their defenses and in the core of their base. What would be interesting, is if the original goal of any of those is to steal said resources, you could build a giant hallway with turrets to your resource stockpile, and if you think you can't take the raid, just drop the turret power. Let em come in, steal the stuff, make off, and you'd be safe.

For normal raiders, they'd probably take anything that was golden, maybe even disassemble a tv and take it.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Livingston I Presume

The only problem with these ideas is the game currently lacks the mechanics to make massive differences between different types of attacks.  The all end up playing quite similar to one another.  However I do fully support them, always great to see new cool events

Klitri

Re implement a double agent that infiltrates as a wanderer and then slowly takes silver out of the stockpiles when you're not noticing and then reveals themselves and runs.

Noobshock

Quote from: Klitri on March 09, 2016, 01:07:29 PM
Re implement a double agent that infiltrates as a wanderer and then slowly takes silver out of the stockpiles when you're not noticing and then reveals themselves and runs.

This. "Friendly" dude walks around lalala and then based on something you get the chance to notice it sooner (when he's still in your base) or later (when he's already running for it).

Mikhail Reign

Yeah - I agree with Zombie. While it would be awesome, functionally it wouldnt be any different from current raids. They would have to come through the defences to get to the stores, whic is t any different from what they die trying to do now.

porcupine

What if thieves didn't set off the alarm when they arrived on the map, and were set to move between cover at all times (like raiders running towards cover, just picking a path towards the colony, but always running towards the nearest cover).

Come in with some stealth and all that jazz.  Maybe their names/etc. don't even show up on the map (that'd make them hard to spot).  If you have a killbox that's powered down most of the time, a thief or two might make it past, etc.

REMworlder

I'd love to see more objective-based raids. It's always felt weird storing my valuable gold and silver outside, out in the open for anyone to steal, where I kept food and perishables indoors as if they were somehow more valuable to traders. I think a sort of vault would be perfect.

JesterHell

I do like the idea that a raid is just that and their only attacking to steal stuff of value... anything of value and not some attempt to destroy me because that's what a siege is for.

Quote from: Limdood on March 07, 2016, 03:15:00 PM
Mechanoids can place a value on AI cores and alien artifacts (psychic lances, etc.).

Just gonna nitpick and say that there are no aliens in Rimworld and that psychic lances are human tech.