[1.3] Map Reroll (2.7.1) - Pick your starting map

Started by UnlimitedHugs, March 28, 2016, 05:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

I'm having an issue with new maps being generated to choose from not having the proper level of "mountain" from the mod RF - Configurable Maps. For example, I will set the mountain level to "Very High Mountain Level" and select and Large Hills map, and I will get these cool sort of valley/canyon maps. However, when I press the reroll dice and generate new maps, it is like the mountain level is never correct like my initial map generated is. I am forced to go back to main menu and create a new world and start a new map, to have the proper level of mountain again. I am positive that the new maps being generated are not correct, because even if I play with the slider and start generating new maps, they will never have the "high" mountain level, unlike only the original map I generated will.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 28, 2018, 05:36:59 PM
I'm having an issue with new maps being generated to choose from not having the proper level of "mountain" from the mod RF - Configurable Maps. For example, I will set the mountain level to "Very High Mountain Level" and select and Large Hills map, and I will get these cool sort of valley/canyon maps. However, when I press the reroll dice and generate new maps, it is like the mountain level is never correct like my initial map generated is. I am forced to go back to main menu and create a new world and start a new map, to have the proper level of mountain again. I am positive that the new maps being generated are not correct, because even if I play with the slider and start generating new maps, they will never have the "high" mountain level, unlike only the original map I generated will.

Thank you for the report, I'll have to investigate.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on January 29, 2018, 02:18:59 AM
Thank you for the report, I'll have to investigate.

Thank you for the quick response :) If you need screenshots, my modlist, or any further evidence of how to reproduce this error, I'll be glad to help.

Mufflamingo

Man Map Reroll + RF Cmaps was okay to me. I use configure settings then change the mountain settings. Close reroll screen then I click the dice again to open the reroll screen and viola, new sets of map are loading.  ;D
Bleeeee. . . . .

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Mufflamingo on January 29, 2018, 05:09:51 AM
Man Map Reroll + RF Cmaps was okay to me. I use configure settings then change the mountain settings. Close reroll screen then I click the dice again to open the reroll screen and viola, new sets of map are loading.  ;D

I never said it wasn't working, but with this particular setting on this particular setup the maps being generated on the reroll were not proper according to the settings from RF - Configurable Maps. The issue was the setting for mountain level, but the slider was not maxed out  at the very highest setting, but I believe one just below the highest mountain level, or possibly below that. If memory serves correct, the order was something like: lower levels->high->very high->extreme->random. I believe I was using the high or very high. And this was also selecting the Large Hills map (and temperate or boreal forest, not that I think it makes a difference.) It is possible that different terrain settings could have worked, but this specific combination would not work properly for me ;)

Harry_Dicks

I have a rather odd thing to ask. Would it ever be possible when I am rerolling a mountain map to always have the mountain on a specific side of the map? I always want my mountain on the north side of the map, simply because of how I like to how things in my base all facing me, so I can see them from a specific angle ::)

If you could ever implement something like that in the future, I think it could be really nice. Because right now I only ever want 25% of the maps that generate. It's not a big deal, just something that I was thinking about, because I've turned off the reroll resource anyway.

Would there ever be any other variables that we could play with in the future relating to map gen? This is something that I feel like I have been a bit OCD about lately, rerolling maps over and over again because I am always wanting to find a more "perfect" map  :-\

Also, getting errors when going to choose a new map that I've generated through Map Reroll. If I had to guess I would think it might be from one of my other mods, but not sure? Anyway, here's your report. I was just messing around with new starts, went through Prepare Carefully twice (which does give me some errors related to Rim of Madness, but nothing that prevents me from using it) and started a couple of maps, and then went to pick a new "more perfect" map, and it crashes when I go to load it. Thanks! :)

https://gist.github.com/12444c5d7be3e606b3685dec920d62bf

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 05, 2018, 02:37:59 AM
- snip -

While technically possible, it's squarely in "ungodly amounts of work" territory. Might be simpler to give the player a canvas and a broad brush to show where they want their mountains, and then generate some randomized maps based on that.

That does give me an interesting idea though- using a server, it would be possible to collect seeds of maps picked by players (and thus, known to be interesting). These could then be served up in a "popular maps" tab. That would be pretty cool.

As for additional settings, I feel RF's configurable maps does a pretty good job on covering that aspect.

Your error is still the same Casket problem that you reported a few weeks ago- were you able to trace it back to the vampires mod?
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on February 05, 2018, 03:41:21 AM
Your error is still the same Casket problem that you reported a few weeks ago- were you able to trace it back to the vampires mod?

How embarrassing. Excuse me, sir, but some of my circuits are a little fried ::)

I'll look into Vampires causing issues for others. No one else has ever reported this? Maybe I should ask Jecrell.

EDIT: HUH. So just deleting the coffin will allow me to reroll maps now. I made a save before it happened, just to be sure. Weird.

EDIT2: I suppose one of the options I would like would be to have the mountain in the middle of the map only. That might be better suited for Configurable Maps, though.

wwWraith

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on February 05, 2018, 03:41:21 AM
Might be simpler to give the player a canvas and a broad brush to show where they want their mountains, and then generate some randomized maps based on that.

Could it be simple enough that you'll actually consider to implement it? ;)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: wwWraith on February 05, 2018, 06:45:39 AM

Well you never know what sticks with you and ends up getting released. I just ride the wave when I see it :)

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on February 05, 2018, 07:36:10 AM
Well you never know what sticks with you and ends up getting released. I just ride the wave when I see it :)

Sir Hugs, you can not tease us like that! It's not fair, because I know if you would make anything like that, it would just be on whole 'nother level. ;) I was thinking maybe we could have better tools to use after our map is generated. Because like you said, RF - Configurable Maps already does a great job, but I also believe it would be really freaking awesome if we had nice tools to "paint" the map however we want with ease. I know tools to change the map exist through the dev menu, but let's be honest. It's really time consuming and not fun how you would have to navigate all of these huge lists of every possible thing in the game that you could create. Then, you have to click through these lists every time you want to make a new terrain or use a new tool. Swapping between different waters, muds, soils, mountains overhead (is there a tool for this?), minerals, rocks, or whatever is way harder than it ever needs to be.

Speaking earlier about how you could maybe have a sort of "favorites" maps from favorite seeds or whatever that people upload. Well with these tools, people could upload their best maps, and users could vote on their favorite maps! Best cold bog maps, best large hills maps, best cold bog large hills maps, best something that people usually never get to play because it virtually never spawns on world gen, if even at all possible. For example, I don't think I've ever seen a mountain cold bog map. I'm sure they probably exist. So I use Prepare Landing's god mode to change limited aspects of the cell before landing on it. But I would assume the good majority of users never get to see these weird combinations. Maybe you have a permanent summer Cold Bog in the mountains with a creek and an ancient highway?

If we were somehow able to have a server to pick different maps from, through some in game browser, that would be off the walls freaking awesome. You could have all sorts of filters to browse through the library of uploaded maps. Sort by best of the day, week, month, all time, on whatever biome(s) and terrain types, etc. Also you could promote interesting maps, community favorites, favorite authors, whatever! Best map of the week! Best tiny map of the week! Oooooohhh man! ;D

Let people have fun with it. You really could take this in so many different directions. Even better, if from the world gen screen, when you click where you will land in the world, you could have a context menu pop up with what maps you have downloaded and/or ready to go, that you could just paste into a particular cell. I was having issues before where I didn't know about Prepare Landings God Mode and being able to change a cells terrain and stuff, so I was really limiting where I would want to play on the world map, and this was not fun. But if you could make whatever cell in the world be whatever map you want it to be, man I really think that would be top notch for roleplaying aspects of your colony's location.

I don't know about anyone else, but my location on the world map matters to me a lot for my head canon. I always want some ultra far away place, tucked away deep into some mountains in a rain forest, cold bog, desert, etc. This way no one can discover our dirty secrets. It also makes having to send out some of your pawns on a foot expedition that much longer and more treacherous, something that I enjoy.

There would be tools, and all kinds of fun settings that you could adjust for how these tools are implemented, that would help you blend things together, to make all of your environment look like it belongs. I'm thinking of a little window/widget that will have all of your different tools that you can easily swap between, from terrain types to "flora brushes" to all kinds of gizmo awesomeness.

Dream scenario: Use these tools with the new Biomes! mod with the new beach cavern map that just launched. This mod is insanely awesome and beautiful, these guys have really done a great job and I highly recommend everyone check them out. However, I want to make the water from the ocean snake throughout my cavern, making all sorts of lagoons and streams and tunnels of just water, etc. I also want to have a little island, or baby chain of bridges and stuff that can lead to this small island, that is in the middle of a larger lagoon, that itself is deep within the cavern map. This lagoon is actually fed water via a few small water channels that are snaking throughout the map, because we are on the beach cavern map! Maybe this little island can be isolated with water, or in the corner of the map, or whatever. You could have it as you final fallback shelter. It's fun playing something like this with Zombieland and making your colony get overwhelmed, forcing your colonists to have to abandon wings of your base and fall back to other "fall back" lines. You could have multiple tiers of these fall back lines as well. Final one might be on your little island you made in the middle of a lake in your cavern. :)

Sorry for the huge ramble. Sometimes I just get goin' and I don't know where I'll end up! ;)

wwWraith

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on February 05, 2018, 07:36:10 AM
Quote from: wwWraith on February 05, 2018, 06:45:39 AM

I'd really wish to use it, most likely in the form when the player creates some simplified "sketch" with just a few main features that they want and then the game generates a landscape based on it but with some random additions and variations making it more natural-looking :)

Regarding a server with the map seeds, I'm afraid that it won't be very useful for people using any mods that interfere with terrain generation as the results could be different for them. But on the other hand, using such seeds could be useful even for single players e.g. when they'd want to use some map that they liked after installing some mod that required a new colony.

Anyway, I'll hope you'll enjoy the breeze and tides... wherever they'd lead you :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

Yeah, the map server idea is over the top. But the tools to "paint" the map with ease is something I would be greatly interested in. I think if there was a "vegetation" brush as well, would be nice, so you aren't stuck with all of this brown dirt after you remodel the place.

Kassidoo

Hi hugs,
Me and my SO just got done with modding the game, but something is happeneing and I have no idea. We have the exact same mods with the exact load order, and everything works for me, but for her, when she tried to reroll the map, the game crashed to desktop with 1 of 2 errors, i being
KERNELBASE.dll caused a Breakpoint (0x80000003)
  in module KERNELBASE.dll at 0023:74922ca2.

and the other being

RimWorldWin.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module RimWorldWin.exe at 0023:00bdfeb4.

We are both on win 10, and the only difference is that I have an 3gen i7 and she has an ryzen.
Any idea?

Disabling all mods except the map reroll and hugslib fixes the issue, but I dont see what mods might interfere with the generation on her pc and not on mine
Edit: Well scratch that, I too managed to get the bug now, been spending a few hours trying to narrow it down, its either Psychology or Hospitality causing it, or those in combination with something else I have

Harry_Dicks

Hello mister Hugs. So, after having a strange issue with the game crashing to RimWorld's main menu after trying to reroll a map, I've finally narrowed down my issue. I thought it was coming from Rim of Madness, because my error log made it seem like Minify Everything was saying that it was having issues with a coffin (that is what your vampire comes in, when they land from a drop pod). However, after having shared my HugsLib report with both Jecrell (Rim of Madness) and Erdelf (Minify Everything) I have now been sent back to you, saying that the issue is coming from Map Reroll and these caskets :)

I've found that as long as I delete the casket with the dev tool, I can reroll a map and I won't have any crashes. However, I'm sure that maybe you would like to have this disclaimer for Map Reroll, unless of course you would want to look into this issue yourself :) One really weird thing, and I'm not sure it is even relevant or related - but when I go to delete the casket with the dev tool, I will click the casket once, and then I get an error that pops on my error log, saying I am trying to delete something that has already been deleted. As in, the casket was there twice or something? I'm not sure, but I have zero issues deleting anything else with the dev tool, but only when I click a casket will this strange error pop.

Either way, thanks for all of your hard work, and awesome mods. It really blows my mind even trying to imagine how you could have a mod as powerful as Map Reroll, with preview images and even a button for Configurable Maps, nuts! This is not your everyday run of the mill mod, folks! I can't wait to see what you have for us next! ;D