[A14] Edge Technologies (V1.0 updated:14-08-16)

Started by chaotix14, April 10, 2016, 07:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffy29

Quote from: chaotix14 on April 12, 2016, 07:16:29 AM
Not that I can see. Just a question, are you on the latest release(0.15)? If not try updating first, because I think it might be the bug I fixed in that patch.

Yep that was the issue I was having. Now it works, thank you very much!

tonsrd

can u mine for componants ? that seems my bottle neck atm,

chaotix14

Quote from: tonsrd on April 13, 2016, 10:39:34 PM
can u mine for componants ? that seems my bottle neck atm,

You can't, the reason being that there's already a method in the game to get components. It just isn't an early game method.

RoboticManiac

Basic robots are created in batches of ten; and mining robots are created individually (Using one basic robot and 50 steel). WAD? It totals 2,000 steel just including the step for mining robots. An extra 1,000 on top of that for the basic robots; plus 200 for the mining structure proper.

This comes out to a sum total of 3,200 steel for just one mining complex which chews up about 4,000 power units whenever it's on.

tonsrd

Quote from: RoboticManiac on April 15, 2016, 12:53:35 AM
Basic robots are created in batches of ten; and mining robots are created individually (Using one basic robot and 50 steel). WAD? It totals 2,000 steel just including the step for mining robots. An extra 1,000 on top of that for the basic robots; plus 200 for the mining structure proper.

This comes out to a sum total of 3,200 steel for just one mining complex which chews up about 4,000 power units whenever it's on.

but what do you gain once its on ? im not alive long enuff to get one yet....

chaotix14

Quote from: RoboticManiac on April 15, 2016, 12:53:35 AM

Basic robotic parts(robotics) are created in batches of 10 at a cost of 25 steel(so 2.5 steel per robotics), one mining robot takes 1 robotics and costs 50 steel to make themselves making each unit total out at 52.5 steel. You need 40 of the mining robots which equals a total steel cost of 2100 steel, then add the 200 of the structures own steel cost and you have 2300 steel total. Is that a bit more manageable of a number?

At any rate, the price is a bit steep, but well justified as it shouldn't be something you just plop down early game and be set for metal forever. You'll have to have a decent chunk of power gen or storage sorted out to make use of the mine and you need to invest a good chunk of materials into the system. This ensures that even if you were to rush the required techs you're not just going to put one down in the first couple of seasons. Because once you have it, you basically never have to worry about metal shortages as long as you can muster up some power.

RoboticManiac

Quote from: chaotix14 on April 15, 2016, 04:41:07 AM

Basic robotic parts(robotics) are created in batches of 10 at a cost of 25 steel(so 2.5 steel per robotics), one mining robot takes 1 robotics and costs 50 steel to make themselves making each unit total out at 52.5 steel. You need 40 of the mining robots which equals a total steel cost of 2100 steel, then add the 200 of the structures own steel cost and you have 2300 steel total. Is that a bit more manageable of a number?

At any rate, the price is a bit steep, but well justified as it shouldn't be something you just plop down early game and be set for metal forever. You'll have to have a decent chunk of power gen or storage sorted out to make use of the mine and you need to invest a good chunk of materials into the system. This ensures that even if you were to rush the required techs you're not just going to put one down in the first couple of seasons. Because once you have it, you basically never have to worry about metal shortages as long as you can muster up some power.
Yeah, my maths was definitely wrong.

Anyway, I can absolutely see the logic of making it incredibly expensive to create. My problem is that (Depending on size) you can completely strip an entire map of steel and still not have enough; assuming you also had worked on other important projects before hand, like components.

Also, it just takes a really long time to individually build 40 mining machines, unless you have multiple tables and colonists working on it.

Either way, the mod is definitely great.

Quote from: tonsrd on April 15, 2016, 04:13:03 AM

The mining complex lets you 'renew' otherwise non-renewable resources such as steel and stone. It also adds some extra materials that are used to make plasteel via a new workbench (Though these are also useful in their own right).

chaotix14

Quote from: RoboticManiac on April 15, 2016, 10:33:20 PM
Yeah, my maths was definitely wrong.

Anyway, I can absolutely see the logic of making it incredibly expensive to create. My problem is that (Depending on size) you can completely strip an entire map of steel and still not have enough; assuming you also had worked on other important projects before hand, like components.

Also, it just takes a really long time to individually build 40 mining machines, unless you have multiple tables and colonists working on it.

Either way, the mod is definitely great.

Some valid points there, going to rework some stuff. The build time of the mining robots might be something I missed rebalancing when I reworked the mine. At any rate expect a balancing update real soon.

Quote from: RoboticManiac on April 15, 2016, 10:33:20 PM
Quote from: tonsrd on April 15, 2016, 04:13:03 AM

The mining complex lets you 'renew' otherwise non-renewable resources such as steel and stone. It also adds some extra materials that are used to make plasteel via a new workbench (Though these are also useful in their own right).

Except cobalt, that really just exists as an ingredient for the alloys. Or maybe as a compact was to store a whole load of currency.

Edit: Updated, if you've already build the robot mining complex I'd advise against updating to 0.17(since you'll waste 30 of the mining robots you used to build it). Otherwise it should be a heck of a lot easier to get the mine started(albeit at a much lower speed).

Zederikus

I don't know if this is only for me, but I can't create robotics or anything else on the Robotics workbench. I have steel, energy,  components and a skill 14 crafter and the bill is ready too, but nothing. I can't even force it to. The craft spot is in a clear place too, I can't imagine what might be wrong. I can give screenshots if that would help. Thx

chaotix14

Quote from: Zederikus on April 16, 2016, 03:53:06 PM
I don't know if this is only for me, but I can't create robotics or anything else on the Robotics workbench. I have steel, energy,  components and a skill 14 crafter and the bill is ready too, but nothing. I can't even force it to. The craft spot is in a clear place too, I can't imagine what might be wrong. I can give screenshots if that would help. Thx

Are you using version 0.14? If so, that'll be the problem. Just update to the latest build and it should be fixed.

Wendigo

I'm having trouble with the Mining Robot Bay immediately disappearing once built.

EDIT: The problem appears to be it having a null thingClass according to the debug logs.  I'll see if I can fix the issue on my local copy.

chaotix14

Quote from: Wendigo on April 16, 2016, 10:00:30 PM
I'm having trouble with the Mining Robot Bay immediately disappearing once built.

EDIT: The problem appears to be it having a null thingClass according to the debug logs.  I'll see if I can fix the issue on my local copy.

That's an odd problem, and I can't seem to replicate it myself. At any rate I'm going to scour the code to see if something catches my eye.

Wendigo

I'm getting it from version 0.17 at the bottom of your post, even after downloading again to make sure there wasn't some sort of DL issue.  The error will pop up on game start in the logs, if you turn on Development mode.  Either way, just assigning a ThingClass to the Mining Robot Bay fixed it on my end.  That said, I'm running with a pretty hefty list of mods, so if nobody else is having this issue, it could just be some incompatibility woes on my end.

chaotix14

Quote from: Wendigo on April 17, 2016, 04:53:54 AM
I'm getting it from version 0.17 at the bottom of your post, even after downloading again to make sure there wasn't some sort of DL issue.  The error will pop up on game start in the logs, if you turn on Development mode.  Either way, just assigning a ThingClass to the Mining Robot Bay fixed it on my end.  That said, I'm running with a pretty hefty list of mods, so if nobody else is having this issue, it could just be some incompatibility woes on my end.

I always keep on my dev mode. And one of the conditions I have for calling a version release stable is that there is not red or yellow text in the debug log on start up or mucking around with it on a colony(because that's a fair indication that stuff isn't causing problems).

At any rate it is a bit of a curious case since I basically just edited the ThingDef of a toolbox, and none of the things in that small list(toolbox, vitalsmonitor or the multi-analyzer) have a ThingClass(at which point I just figured it was supposed to be that way). At any rate I'm gonna check if I can just give them a random ThingClass without creating any errors on a clean gamefile.

Edit: I just gave it the worktable ThingClass. The game doesn't seem to mind it having that ThingClass.

hector212121

Listed numbers are wrong. It starts at 40 and each bay adds 25% of that 40.

Not sure if they stack multiplicatively though.