[A14] Edge Technologies (V1.0 updated:14-08-16)

Started by chaotix14, April 10, 2016, 07:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotix14

Quote from: hector212121 on April 17, 2016, 09:51:18 AM
Listed numbers are wrong. It starts at 40 and each bay adds 25% of that 40.

Not sure if they stack multiplicatively though.

Took a look at it and it seems there's something odd going on. From what I can tell there might be something that prevents the crafting speed to go below 40%, since the speed factor goes: 40-50-75-100-125-etc. Ought to be an easy fix.

PapaDookie

G'day mate. i'm having an issue where the bio-reactors don't seem to have anything in their list for making ethanol. any idea's ?
i do have vegetable garden mod installed. is this a known conflict ?

chaotix14

Quote from: PapaDookie on April 19, 2016, 12:26:20 AM
G'day mate. i'm having an issue where the bio-reactors don't seem to have anything in their list for making ethanol. any idea's ?
i do have vegetable garden mod installed. is this a known conflict ?

I think I may have given that recipe a less than obvious name. One of the recipes should say "ferment plant matter" that's the one you need for making ethanol.
Also there's shouldn't be any conflicts, as long as the two mods don't coincidentally given a couple of defs the exact same names, since I've made very sure not to edit any vanilla files with my mod.

KillerH

Hey.
Love the mod, but have small issue.
When I add either ferment or compost to bio reactor it shows there is no raw materials for the bill.
If I go into details it doesn't show any raw materials, it is listed that it need 5 vegetarian in description but in the mat list there is only *allow rotten.

chaotix14

Quote from: KillerH on April 19, 2016, 05:30:34 AM
Hey.
When I add either ferment or compost to bio reactor it shows there is no raw materials for the bill.
If I go into details it doesn't show any raw materials, it is listed that it need 5 vegetarian in description but in the mat list there is only *allow rotten.

I think I can guess what the problem is. Going to fix and update things now.

Edit: ....And the latest release should have fixed things.

KillerH

Quote from: chaotix14 on April 19, 2016, 06:05:45 AM
Quote from: KillerH on April 19, 2016, 05:30:34 AM
Hey.

I think I can guess what the problem is. Going to fix and update things now.

Edit: ....And the latest release should have fixed things.

Yup .
Working now.
By the way I like the mod because it is not overly complicated , was using other for power/mining but it got too complicated.
A good idea is to section mods, so a small advise would be if you feel like your mod is getting very big separate it into sections so people can choose some or all .

chaotix14

Quote from: KillerH on April 19, 2016, 08:52:11 AMBy the way I like the mod because it is not overly complicated , was using other for power/mining but it got too complicated.
A good idea is to section mods, so a small advise would be if you feel like your mod is getting very big separate it into sections so people can choose some or all .

That'll certainly be one of the things I keep in mind. But currently I doubt it's much of a problem since the mod currently is just two small pieces. But currently there's not a whole lot of development going on, kinda trying to figure out what I could possibly add to the mod. That isn't redundant due to other mod availability.

hector212121

Might I suggest a research that creates autonomous mining things? Even at 10k research to get it it'd be worth it.

Maybe seperate buildings that tick down to mining, so you could have a Steel Mining Bay, a Cobalt Mining Bay, etc.

chaotix14

Quote from: hector212121 on April 19, 2016, 09:24:14 AM
Might I suggest a research that creates autonomous mining things? Even at 10k research to get it it'd be worth it.

Maybe seperate buildings that tick down to mining, so you could have a Steel Mining Bay, a Cobalt Mining Bay, etc.

While that would be a good point to go towards, I don't particularly feel like spamming the production tab with an autonomous mine for each resource. So, that'll basically require me to use CCL(and in turn make this mod CCL dependent) to make something of that nature.

hector212121

Maybe stick them under Misc, then? :P

Oh! Is the Titanium Glittertech compatible?

chaotix14

Quote from: hector212121 on April 19, 2016, 10:10:45 AM
Maybe stick them under Misc, then? :P

Oh! Is the Titanium Glittertech compatible?

Eh, to the point where whichever mod is loaded last will dictate the titanium's characteristics. It'll pretty much still work for both mods no matter in which order they are loaded.

Unless he has added something extra to the defname, in that case you'll end up with 2 types of titanium only usable for the mod they came from.

Edit: At any rate I am going to check if I can manage to figure out exactly how to make an automated version of the mining complex work.

Edit: I've suddenly realized that I haven't actually played a whole lot of rimworld since alpha 13 came out. I haven't even been able to use the mining complex on an non-test colony. Guess I've caught the modders curse.

hector212121

Heh, I guess worst case we can wait for MAI. Then we can have a...

MAI-NING robot.

I appear to have caught the punner's curse...

Grogfeld

Using CCL isn't that bad but I thought about implementing power management. It's not a big issue but with 4k power drain it's quite demanding. Lowering power demand when mining complex isn't used is a good thing, for balance you could rise demand when in use. I don't like automation, there are other mods to do it. Actually I even thought about a project to create a mine, with an graphic overlay or a grid map in custom tab that would imitate another level and a possibility to send there pawn for X hours (despawn him/her from map like Haplos Miscellaneous mods are doing ) but it's too complex for spare time I have. 

Back to topic I didn't download v0.20 but in earlier ver. I've noticed that there was no material to select for making ethanol and compost, was it a bug or other mods are messing my game?

chaotix14

Quote from: Grogfeld on April 19, 2016, 11:58:10 AM
Using CCL isn't that bad but I thought about implementing power management. It's not a big issue but with 4k power drain it's quite demanding. Lowering power demand when mining complex isn't used is a good thing, for balance you could rise demand when in use. I don't like automation, there are other mods to do it. Actually I even thought about a project to create a mine, with an graphic overlay or a grid map in custom tab that would imitate another level and a possibility to send there pawn for X hours (despawn him/her from map like Haplos Miscellaneous mods are doing ) but it's too complex for spare time I have. 

Back to topic I didn't download v0.20 but in earlier ver. I've noticed that there was no material to select for making ethanol and compost, was it a bug or other mods are messing my game?

Neither. That was me being a derpicus maximus and forgetting to add some vital information to the recipe, which has been fixed in 0.20.

Also in version 0.20 you can use milk to make compost and ethanol, through what I can only assume is magic. It's a small oddity in the categories as milk is placed in the category plant_food_raw, and since I am busy with other stuff, enjoy the probably not worthwhile exploit.

With that cleared up, down to the stuff you said prior to mentioning bugs. The automated mines, if I decide to code them, will with a 99.9% certainty be a separate mod, since I am aware it's not everyone's cup of tea(didn't exactly like the MD2 ore extractor myself, which is probably the most comparable thing).
I could make the mine use the CCL powerdraw features, it would literally only take a couple of seconds. However I don't know if it works that nicely with the 0.17 robot mining bays, and not everyone is a fan of CCL. At any rate I'm still debating on whether or not I want to make this mod CCL dependent(and no, keeping a CCL and non-CCL version updated is not an option), I am leaning towards using CCL, since it would allow me to do something kinda awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of dependencies within modding.

Grogfeld

Quote from: chaotix14 on April 19, 2016, 12:35:50 PM
Neither. That was me being a derpicus maximus and forgetting to add some vital information to the recipe, which has been fixed in 0.20.

Also in version 0.20 you can use milk to make compost and ethanol, through what I can only assume is magic. It's a small oddity in the categories as milk is placed in the category plant_food_raw, and since I am busy with other stuff, enjoy the probably not worthwhile exploit.

With that cleared up, down to the stuff you said prior to mentioning bugs. The automated mines, if I decide to code them, will with a 99.9% certainty be a separate mod, since I am aware it's not everyone's cup of tea(didn't exactly like the MD2 ore extractor myself, which is probably the most comparable thing).
I could make the mine use the CCL powerdraw features, it would literally only take a couple of seconds. However I don't know if it works that nicely with the 0.17 robot mining bays, and not everyone is a fan of CCL. At any rate I'm still debating on whether or not I want to make this mod CCL dependent(and no, keeping a CCL and non-CCL version updated is not an option), I am leaning towards using CCL, since it would allow me to do something kinda awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of dependencies within modding.

Oh, great to read that V0.20 works as it should. Yeah, robot mining bays are great idea, if there are problems with CCL maybe its better to leave it as it is. Well it's your call.  I just want to thank you for this mod, I like it.