"Gay" as a trait

Started by TheNewNo2, April 11, 2016, 02:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNewNo2

I'd like to suggest that "gay" be removed as a listed trait. There should still be colonists who feel same-sex attractions, but we're in the year 5500, I'd like to hope that in the next 3500 years, society as a whole moves beyond gay/straight and male/female.

By the way, are multiple relationships possible ingame?

Pansexual polyamory in 5500!

DFKabuto

Labels exist because they work.

Removal of labels muddies language.

StorymasterQ

I keep hearing about people identifying as an attack helicopter. I wonder if that should be added as a trait :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Mikhail Reign

Should gay be a trait tho? I mean it takes up a 'slot'. Its not like straight colonists have a 'straight' trait. Maybe it should just be a hidden attribute?

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 11, 2016, 03:04:16 AM
Should gay be a trait tho? I mean it takes up a 'slot'. Its not like straight colonists have a 'straight' trait. Maybe it should just be a hidden attribute?

You have a point there. If straight colonists don't have a 'straight' trait, that's really defining 'normal' isn't it?

I'd rather have all sexual orientations show up as a trait (so that includes straight) and increase the number of possible traits by one, so it doesn't 'take up a slot', but still visible.

Hidden...I'm not sure. Surely in the 5500s, the concept of being 'in the closet' would have been removed?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Fluffy (l2032)

For the sake of argument, and forgetting any real-life sensibilities I/we may have;

I can imagine that on a harsh frontier world, where survival is a primary concern, being gay might be viewed as a negative trait to have. As such, it would make sense that there is a certain level of stigma attached. On core/glitter worlds, as in most more advanced real earth communities, different sexualities would be more accepted.

The fact that children are not (yet) in the game does rather undermine this argument though.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: StorymasterQ on April 11, 2016, 03:21:44 AM
Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 11, 2016, 03:04:16 AM

You have a point there. If straight colonists don't have a 'straight' trait, that's really defining 'normal' isn't it?

I'd rather have all sexual orientations show up as a trait (so that includes straight) and increase the number of possible traits by one, so it doesn't 'take up a slot', but still visible.

Hidden...I'm not sure. Surely in the 5500s, the concept of being 'in the closet' would have been removed?

Well I say hidden, less implying that they are 'in the closet' and more that its just a standard thing that you wouldn't really notice unless you asked someone, or seen them in a relationship

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on April 11, 2016, 03:47:30 AM
For the sake of argument, and forgetting any real-life sensibilities I/we may have;

I can imagine that on a harsh frontier world, where survival is a primary concern, being gay might be viewed as a negative trait to have. As such, it would make sense that there is a certain level of stigma attached. On core/glitter worlds, as in most more advanced real earth communities, different sexualities would be more accepted.

The fact that children are not (yet) in the game does rather undermine this argument though.

I dont see why it would intrinsically be a negative or positive trait. Since the colonists end goal is just to get off the planet, its not like long term reproduction come into it, and even if it was, I'm sure that there would be plenty of war orphans to go around. If your working on the trope of 'hard men dont like gays' I would point you to the Spartans, or pretty much any Greek culture, or pretty much any culture except Christian/Herbru/Islamic ones.

Fluffy (l2032)

If the colonists were to have a long-term goal of setting up a new community, being gay might indeed be a negative trait - or at least perceived by some colonists to be so. I suppose whether or not this is actually the case depends on your playstyle and/or the narrative you create for yourself as much as anything else. I personally haven't build a ship in ages - my endgame is usually when I judge a colony is self-sustaining (and/or I get bored). Although to be fair I suck at actually playing the game, so I don't often get that far.

I'm not really sure where I would like sexuality traits to go to. I can certainly see the point of sexuality not being a trait at all, but more of a pawn attribute, just like age or gender. I'm also aware of the massive potential for controversy, no matter how sexuality were to be portrayed in the game. Having, just as an example, a fundamentalist trait that really dislikes pawns of a different sexuality might be interesting, but it's also stirring the mentioned hornet's nest.

JonoRig

It would be better if it was part of the colonists regular stats, like a sexuality section, that covers the basics, that way it doesn't affect traits, and it can be easily viewed at a glance. I don't really care whether they are gay or not. However, if children were implemented, I would love to be able to sterilise everyone cause I don't want to be dealing with useless food eaters.

Mikhail Reign

Well in a world where people are commonly vat grown (so many back stories) does it really matter if you could reproduce the old fashion way? Also, the 'colonist' are really colonists (Ty really needs to clarify this point tho) they are survivors of a ship crash. If I was ship wreaked on a deserted island, the last thing I would be thinking of is reproduction.

Tangent - I really wish the game would go one way or the other. Are they colonists, or are they survivors? Is it colony or a temporary shelter? I'm sweet either way, but the world colony means colonisation which implies an intent to stay.

JesterHell

Personally I want a complete change to traits, in reference to sexuality I think an array like this.

Homosexual - Bisexual - Heterosexual - Transsexual - Asexual

The only "option" missing is zoosexual which would be good for a laugh at most, although I suppose its just as reasonable as the others.

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 11, 2016, 03:55:44 AM
If your working on the trope of 'hard men dont like gays' I would point you to the Spartans, or pretty much any Greek culture, or pretty much any culture except Christian/Herbru/Islamic ones.

I find it funny that you know of past societies that had no problem with gays yet fell and yet claimed that you don't think hangups about sexuality would exist 3500 year in the future.

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 09, 2016, 09:01:26 PM
Yeeeeaaahhh... I dont see why any of our hangups about sexuality would still exist in 3500 years. Or why there would be any problems with a trans-anything person reproducing. Or why the change would even be a issue. There are genetically engineered exploding animals - why would changing ya junk be anything more then an outpatient procedure?

If such things can change to be more homophobic when Christian/Herbru/Islamic culture took over why can such a thing not happen again in the future? The answer quite simply is that such change could happen again.

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 11, 2016, 06:25:28 AM
Well in a world where people are commonly vat grown (so many back stories) does it really matter if you could reproduce the old fashion way? Also, the 'colonist' are really colonists (Ty really needs to clarify this point tho) they are survivors of a ship crash. If I was ship wreaked on a deserted island, the last thing I would be thinking of is reproduction.

Tangent - I really wish the game would go one way or the other. Are they colonists, or are they survivors? Is it colony or a temporary shelter? I'm sweet either way, but the world colony means colonisation which implies an intent to stay.

You don't need to be thinking of reproduction for it to happen, Lovin -contraceptives = children and as for what colonists actually are here is an old post with some ideas Tynan had that might clear the air.

Quote from: Tynan on June 16, 2014, 04:21:50 PM
-snip-

Perhaps you guys would find it fun to have a couple different endgames. Maybe a short one, where you outfit an expedition to leave and try to get to some distant city. And a middle one, where you can build the ship after a period of research and construction. And a long one, where you conquer the area and become more than just a little colony. And players who want to bypass all these can just play forever. I think the idea of different "exit ramps" to end the game at different points might be interesting, so people can choose the length of experience they want. Just an idea.

Fluffy (l2032)

Looks like we're starting to stir that hornets nest.

Can we stay on topic here? I'd like this thread to remain a non-politicized discussion. That means no LGBT/SJW discussions - but implementation discussions of what might make sexuality an interesting gameplay mechanic.

Regardless of in what number you think different sexualities might exist on a colony, I think we can all agree they probably will exist. So what, if anything, should be done to make sexuality actually an interesting gameplay element - that preferably can be ignored by those who can't be - or don't want to be - bothered with their colonists' sexual preferences.

Fluffy (l2032)

Actually, water need and hygiene need are in my top things that need to be added to the game, that includes toileting.

Like I mentioned, I don't have the illusion that everyone will enjoy having to deal with sexualities - hence why it should probably be ignorable in that the benefits/drawbacks aren't too great. I personally would find this an interesting gameplay mechanic (much more so than multiplayer or going on my own expeditions), and the main mechanisms are all already there. Adding more interactions to make sexuality more than a label would be a simple task of some xml, and a few small worker classes (as opposed to massive amounts of work for expeditions and multiplayer.)

I'm not saying Tynan should do this, I can fully understand if he doesn't want to, for various reasons. It saddens me to see such hostility towards mechanics just because they might be offensive, particularly considering we all seem to be fine with making human leather hats and feeding prisoner organs to our pets. Also note that I'm not advocating any particular viewpoint when it comes to sexuality, I'm merely suggesting that there might be more interesting mechanics to be had here. Finally, I agree that something shouldn't be added to the game just because it exists in real life - hence why I'm trying to open the discussion about more interesting mechanics in the first place.

Regret

This subject in this game makes me uncomfortable (for various reasons).

I don't consider that a bad thing, it will be interesting to see how this situation develops.

Dran

Interesting thing happened to me I had a gay couple who did not have the gay trait. They were both female is this a bug or something?