Backstories colliding with each other

Started by Adamiks, April 11, 2016, 10:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamiks

So basically, i have a colonist who have +X to research and art disabled, it comes from his childhood backstory. His adult backstory adds +Z to art and disables research. So in general, he get like nothing from both backstories. I think this should be patched, at least to the point characters wont be able to have + to something they couldnt do because of their childhood. This makes no sense, really, how can you be a scientist for example if you couldnt do research *before* becoming an adult?

Coenmcj

It makes sense actually,
For instance, you may be the best researcher ever, but then a tragic lab accident happens and science destroys all your loved ones right in front of your eyes and you vow to never science again.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Rofo

What about 15 year old pawns with adult backstory?

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Coenmcj on April 11, 2016, 11:32:16 PM
It makes sense actually,
For instance, you may be the best researcher ever, but then a tragic lab accident happens and FOR SCIENCE! destroys all your loved ones right in front of your eyes and you vow to never FOR SCIENCE! again.

Fixed it for you.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Saw Candyman

It makes sense actually,
For instance, you may be the best researcher ever, but then a tragic lab accident happens and science destroys all your loved ones right in front of your eyes and you vow to never science again.
Wow, I gotta say, that was one of the best RW explanations ever. 13/10.
Magic Conch, my least favorite colonist (who has cataracts and is incapable of Dumb Labor) is bleeding to death! What should I do?

"Nothing."

THE MAGIC CONCH HAS SPOKEN!

makapse

but how about the accident occurred in the childhood and u still went on to a science PhD? Doesnt it seem something is wrong here when uare blocked from research or that u went on to a PhD? I think the adult traits that give + to a blocked skill should unblock it and half the skill or make no flame on it.

Captain Sho

This is something has always bugged me about this game. This game takes place in literally the middle of no where, yet people still refuse to do certain tasks even if their life depended on it. I don't care if you are a pop idol, you are gonna haul that blood rock. I think just giving them mood debuffs would make more sense in most cases rather than making them unable to do said task altogether.

mumblemumble

I agree actually,  mood debuff and starting at a low skill.  Id like to see pacifists fight when i forced them to do so,  but be disturbed by it,  maybe freeze up a bit,  but try.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

makapse

pacifists is the biggest joke when they berserk

Mikhail Reign

Yeah the back storys that are like:

childhood - cave dwellers, hates science and all things technical. blocks research
Adult - worlds greatest researcher

They make no sense.

tigg

I don't even read them - I just look at the numbers and teardrops ... should I be reading them? As has been said, they're often conflicting and I figured what was important was the stats

Adamiks

It makes sense actually,

Yeah, but when its vice versa - childhood = research blocked adulthood = best scientist ever then it doesnt make any kind of bloody sense.
Quote from: Captain Sho on April 12, 2016, 01:53:22 AM
This is something has always bugged me about this game. This game takes place in literally the middle of no where, yet people still refuse to do certain tasks even if their life depended on it. I don't care if you are a pop idol, you are gonna haul that blood rock. I think just giving them mood debuffs would make more sense in most cases rather than making them unable to do said task altogether.

Totally agree, i dont have time for that, but it would be nice if someone would make a suggestion for that, anyway +1. Also, its hilarious when someone cant haul but he will travel whole fucking map to get that 5 potatoes for simple meal, like wtf dude, if you haul that 5 potatoes take all of them! And when people are going to base and they cant take some things with them by the way, i think it would be a super useful addition to AI if they would do that, like seriously, if you order every colonist walking by to haul things hauling is not super fast.

Negocromn

+1 for mood debuffs and low skill with no interest or passion

cultist

I think the problem lies mostly in childhood backgrounds - there seems to be fewer of them than adult backgrounds, and lots of them block several skills.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Adamiks on April 12, 2016, 07:29:52 AM
It makes sense actually,

Yeah, but when its vice versa - childhood = research blocked adulthood = best scientist ever then it doesnt make any kind of bloody sense.
Didn't even think of the reversed ones. Damn, that's actually a pretty valid point.

Quote from: StorymasterQ on April 12, 2016, 12:32:13 AM
It makes sense actually,
For instance, you may be the best researcher ever, but then a tragic lab accident happens and FOR SCIENCE! destroys all your loved ones right in front of your eyes and you vow to never FOR SCIENCE! again.

Fixed it for you.
Haha, thanks man. :)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite