[Mod Request] Play as Mechanoids.

Started by Vaperius, April 14, 2016, 03:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaperius

Its a simple thing in premise. Think of it like an alternate game mode request essentially. You'd start the game with a number of specialized Mechanoids.

Its a standard three "colonist" start however, you start with one "warrior" class of Mechanoids, a "worker" class, and an "engineer" class. They'd be unable or have limited overlap, the warrior could perform dumb labor whilst the worker could build and construct as well as dumb labor. The engineers specific role would be researching new classes, the relevant workstations, and overall just being the primary agent to expand your Mechanoid hive until you build more Engineers.

Overall you will be managing the hive....and then the raids will come. Obviously, the humans do not take kindly to you trying to mechaform their planet into an ideal place for them to multiply. The Tribals will fear and hate you as malevolent gods or perhaps recognize you as the deadly mechanical you are, having seen more advanced technology in their dealings with the more advanced factions. The Townsfolk who have desperately been eking their meager existences will stop at nothing to protect what little they have. ...and the pirates still just want to steal your shit.

You have no friends; and consequently money is no real object to you; your cold machine cohorts feel no remorse, pity, joy or any emotion for that matter. Your only objective is expansion and protection of the hive, and ultimately to escape into the stars to spread freely.

So yeah; you land, you build new bots, you collect resources, you fight off invaders, rinse repeat, escape. Think Rimworld minus it nuisances, its raiding turned up to 11, and the game being turned into a straightforward RTS.

I am wondering if anyone be willing to bother making it?

I remain Vigilant.

AllenWL

Personally, I would love to play rimworld as a insectoid hive. But won't that require, like, a ton of coding to work?

Vaperius

Quote from: AllenWL on April 14, 2016, 06:17:47 AM
Personally, I would love to play rimworld as a insectoid hive. But won't that require, like, a ton of coding to work?

Lets see; for the Mechanoids themselves, that mostly be new art work for the various classes, otherwise they'd basically be specialized pawns(colonists). For all the crafting and research, those I believe are fairly simple mods. All things considered your Mechanoid hive wouldn't have use for most crops or animals that humans pawns would use, but perhaps industrial fiber crops likes Devilstrand or hemp, or some kind of plant like a boomalope that produces chemicals for the hive.

Overall it mostly be tedious and require a lot of new art assets, but I think its doable; the question is can they change out the starting pawns for Mechanoids?

Everything I've described though already has the systems in vanilla (crafting,research etc)
I remain Vigilant.

Nickvr628

The pawn info tab in-game that displays all the statistics and values mentions what race they are. Can you make it so the colonist generator can produce a mechanoid colonists? You would change the values so that hunger rate would be zero percent, you could change the diet so they eat nothing (maybe they eat batteries with a charge level instead of hunger). I think it would be really cool to have one of my starting colonists be a hacked mechanoid.

Vaperius

Quote from: Nickvr628 on April 14, 2016, 10:19:40 AM
The pawn info tab in-game that displays all the statistics and values mentions what race they are. Can you make it so the colonist generator can produce a mechanoid colonists? You would change the values so that hunger rate would be zero percent, you could change the diet so they eat nothing (maybe they eat batteries with a charge level instead of hunger). I think it would be really cool to have one of my starting colonists be a hacked mechanoid.

Honestly I think Tynan should explore Xeno-humans in general for variety now that you mention the race info. However that is deserving of its own forum topic. As for this topic an all Mechanoid could have a secondary theme.

Rather than you be humans adrift and crash-landing, you can be fully sentient Mechanoids trying to eek out an existence. Its honestly not explored in the Rimworld lore whether Mechanoids are at, near or below Human intelligence. It is implied however they have enough self-awareness or free will that they are difficult to control without the relevant Glitterworld-tech, since they are in-fact mechanized servitors for Glitterworlds.

So in the spirit of the mod; you can either think of your arrival as an invasion or an escape to refuge is my point.
I remain Vigilant.

Vaperius

So as a more refined idea for anyone willing to try and make a mod for this.

You can take the basic assets for the existing Mechanoids in game and do simple reskins to distinguish the various classes initially until you can be bothered to add in unique assets. Portions of the game will be entirely different. Your hive will not require food but instead electricity and biochemical energy.

Your Mechanoids can exist purely off electricity, or you can choose to farm crops expressly for their energy content, which your mechanoids can breakdown much faster than a normal human pawn. New bioengineered crops could be added to facilitate this and their various other needs. You can use existing assets with recolors for this until you wish to give them unique assets, but essentially you'd add new crops for the Mechanoids to use for the construction and repair of their unique hive-related structure, and for their own replication. Industrial-grade fibers, chemical industry and variety of other utilitarian crops need to be added for the production tree eventually, although you can, again, just use vanilla items for the crafting.

In short: Create a simple version of the mod that makes you start with intelligent Mechanoids instead of pawns, add in an advanced research topic that lets them build more of themselves, and disables human population reception. See if mod becomes popular....????...profit!
I remain Vigilant.

WolveNZ

my $0.10

- Butchering 'things' gives flesh, bone and skins
- Power made initially by 'harvesting' organics (ie. burning corpses, wood) making farms for Mechanoids useful
- Building material by grinding up organics and mixing with rock chunks and making a 'bonecrete' or a 'bloodcrete' (depending on what materials used with bloodcrete being cheaper, faster to build and bonecrete being more fortification type)
- Skin can be used to make coverings for Mechanoids, (who dosnt want human skin covered Mechanoids?)

Vaperius

Quote from: WolveNZ on April 15, 2016, 04:01:39 AM
my $0.10

- Butchering 'things' gives flesh, bone and skins
- Power made initially by 'harvesting' organics (ie. burning corpses, wood) making farms for Mechanoids useful
- Building material by grinding up organics and mixing with rock chunks and making a 'bonecrete' or a 'bloodcrete' (depending on what materials used with bloodcrete being cheaper, faster to build and bonecrete being more fortification type)
- Skin can be used to make coverings for Mechanoids, (who dosnt want human skin covered Mechanoids?)

Certainly would be interesting. Gradually becoming a more advanced hive that depends less and less on common organic material to maintain itself.
I remain Vigilant.

Fregrant

<A raspy gravedigger's voice> Found ya, mate.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=934749176
Do not know if we will be able to play as a mechanoids someday, but looks interesting.

Canute

I don't think you can play as mechanoid, because they are a different class of entities like animals.
But i think you can create with the Alien framework a Mechanoid race or maybe wait until haplo finished the MAI android for A17.

But why does a mechanoid race should do thinks that WolveNZ mention ?
They need primary energy, then resources to maintain their wearouts.
If they want exterminate the pest of the universe, the organic lifeforms they maybe can use humanflesh/skin to create terminators.