Deterring Attacks

Started by Vastin, February 02, 2014, 01:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vastin

It might be interesting if there were ways to deter raids - not prevent, but reduce frequency/severity - at least by intelligent enemies.

Some ideas for deterence might include:

1) Paying passing bounty hunters or mercenaries to go 'deal with them' preemptively. This could be a merchant ship type, or a wandering character type.

2) Ramping up the Fear. Right now fear is a pretty secondary mechanic to just keeping people happy. But if it had the side benefit of getting the word out that your colony was not to be $@%#ed with, it might be a more complex choice. Putting an array of Gibbets at the outskirts of your colony might give the next group of idiots some pause or even frighten a few of the more cowardly ones off the map.

3) Prisoner Exchanges - if a particular raider group is regularly giving you trouble, but you manage to capture a couple of them, perhaps you could barter a prisoner exchange in return for them going and bothering someone else, buying you a few weeks of peace.

4) Buying em off - No prisoners? How about cold hard cash? Everyone has their price.

5) Decisive Victory - If the last two groups met a quick and grizzly fate without so much as scratching the barricades, what gives this next group of shmucks the idea that their luck will be any better? A dramatic victory might buy a longer gap between waves, or cause the defeated faction to reconsider their goals in life.

6) Negotiation - if you've got a serious diplomat on the payroll, maybe you can just plain talk these fools out of it. Sometimes words work. Sometimes your negotiator comes back with a few additional holes in him.

Trensicourt

Good Idea... i think you just listed all the ones we need for the next couple of updates.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Bodog999

These things would be very cool if they were implemented and perhaps you also could trade with them giving them weapons, metal or food instead of prisoners and money

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Vastin on February 02, 2014, 01:39:47 PM
It might be interesting if there were ways to deter raids - not prevent, but reduce frequency/severity - at least by intelligent enemies.

Some ideas for deterence might include:

1) Paying passing bounty hunters or mercenaries to go 'deal with them' preemptively. This could be a merchant ship type, or a wandering character type.

2) Ramping up the Fear. Right now fear is a pretty secondary mechanic to just keeping people happy. But if it had the side benefit of getting the word out that your colony was not to be $@%#ed with, it might be a more complex choice. Putting an array of Gibbets at the outskirts of your colony might give the next group of idiots some pause or even frighten a few of the more cowardly ones off the map.

3) Prisoner Exchanges - if a particular raider group is regularly giving you trouble, but you manage to capture a couple of them, perhaps you could barter a prisoner exchange in return for them going and bothering someone else, buying you a few weeks of peace.

4) Buying em off - No prisoners? How about cold hard cash? Everyone has their price.

5) Decisive Victory - If the last two groups met a quick and grizzly fate without so much as scratching the barricades, what gives this next group of shmucks the idea that their luck will be any better? A dramatic victory might buy a longer gap between waves, or cause the defeated faction to reconsider their goals in life.

6) Negotiation - if you've got a serious diplomat on the payroll, maybe you can just plain talk these fools out of it. Sometimes words work. Sometimes your negotiator comes back with a few additional holes in him.

While these are all decent ideas..
The current game gets way too easy once you have it figured out. EG once you have mines you are basically immortal...
They should add many many more threats before they implement this.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

ApexPredator

Quote from: Vastin on February 02, 2014, 01:39:47 PM

This just gave me an image of my radio man running to the com panel and calling the combat trader in orbit. “We got a few raiders that just showed up east of the mountain range, already got some silver on the launch pad, light em up”. 30 seconds later there are a few explosions at the raider’s location and there are bodies all over the desert with one raider rolling around on the ground bleeding out trying to figure out what happened. Clearly an over powered idea but it made me laugh a little, thanks. 

Thunder Rahja

Quote from: Vastin on February 02, 2014, 01:39:47 PM5) Decisive Victory - If the last two groups met a quick and grizzly fate without so much as scratching the barricades, what gives this next group of shmucks the idea that their luck will be any better? A dramatic victory might buy a longer gap between waves, or cause the defeated faction to reconsider their goals in life.

Or they just take more time before they come back and in overwhelming force.

Trensicourt

Quote from: Thunder1 on February 02, 2014, 04:26:58 PM
Quote from: Vastin on February 02, 2014, 01:39:47 PM5) Decisive Victory - If the last two groups met a quick and grizzly fate without so much as scratching the barricades, what gives this next group of shmucks the idea that their luck will be any better? A dramatic victory might buy a longer gap between waves, or cause the defeated faction to reconsider their goals in life.

Or they just take more time before they come back and in overwhelming force.

What if the raider size we have now is considered small in mid game? So when they return they will pack miniguns and blaze through sentries, but they are still too stupid and step toward mines.

Vastin

Quote from: Untrustedlife on February 02, 2014, 02:02:07 PM
While these are all decent ideas..
The current game gets way too easy once you have it figured out. EG once you have mines you are basically immortal...
They should add many many more threats before they implement this.

Oh I agree. We definitely need a wider array of threats (and more colony goals) before we get more tools for dealing with or deterring them. I just thought of this and figured I'd jot it down while the idea was fresh.

Trensicourt

Can't wait for artillery to be implemented in-game.... Might kill obvious death traps.