[A13]Arbitration: Realistic Research - Overhaul, modpack, vehicles 06/13 v0.07

Started by jackarbiter, April 20, 2016, 09:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackarbiter

Quote from: Grogfeld on May 30, 2016, 05:20:56 PM
I hope you will fix haulers with carts looping problem. Now I had to set lower priority (around 8) on hauling with carts and hauling with backpacks so other hauling jobs would be preferred by Pawns.

Working on that next.
Arbitration - One-folder modpack, marathon overhaul, working vehicles

herrcaptain

I don't have anything particularly productive to add to this conversation but I just wanted to thank you for putting together this modpack. The addition of a proper tech tree, research tweaks (love the laboratory upgrades!), and vehicles - as well as the inclusion of some of my favourite mods like CR - has made this an absolute gem by my standards. I played 0.04 over most of the weekend and it's the most fun I've had with RimWorld since TTM a few versions back.

Sorry I don't have much to add - I just know that modding can sometimes be a thankless pursuit and I wanted to thank you for putting together something so fantastic.

eastwood6510

Quote from: herrcaptain on May 30, 2016, 08:23:18 PM
I don't have anything particularly productive to add to this conversation but I just wanted to thank you for putting together this modpack. The addition of a proper tech tree, research tweaks (love the laboratory upgrades!), and vehicles - as well as the inclusion of some of my favourite mods like CR - has made this an absolute gem by my standards. I played 0.04 over most of the weekend and it's the most fun I've had with RimWorld since TTM a few versions back.

Sorry I don't have much to add - I just know that modding can sometimes be a thankless pursuit and I wanted to thank you for putting together something so fantastic.

Hear hear!

Great mod! Really enjoying playing it

jackarbiter

Quote from: herrcaptain on May 30, 2016, 08:23:18 PM

Adding a compliment is one of the best things to add; thanks for the feedback :)

Quote from: eastwood6510 on May 31, 2016, 12:50:14 AM
Hear hear!

Great mod! Really enjoying playing it

And thanks to you to, hopefully you can store up a little rain for the next heatwave now that the solar cooling chimney is working.

Still trying to think of a good way to add cooling without water.

Prismaa

Should add additional lighting mod by Skullywags https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14177.0 (Remember to notify him if you add it) Love the ceiling light from this mod. Oh and it takes AGES to write needed reference books to advance further in research :P

Grogfeld

I just had to start again because some bugs destroyed my saves (or my laptop 80 C/ 176 F on my cores) so again had to feel how slow is the start. :D But I have some observations.

1. New sleeping spots are probably useless. I don't know if anyone really use them. It's because we get early on leather from butchering. How about at start make that we get from butchering only meet, and then it would be upgraded, through research, to normal state. But it's only suggestion for better use of every item in game and I know that in biomes without trees padded sleeping spot is the only way to get good sleep.

2. Framed walls could have in stuff requirements wood. For example 2 wood and 3 of other stuff. But it's good that now they're cheaper then normal walls

3. Surgeries types are doubled (in my case) so maybe it have to do something with progressive unlocking.

4. At smiting tables we have simple prosthetics but it should be unlocked after researched Anatomy. Also, what do you think to give anatomy earlier as a branch of complex crafting? I know that you had created progress point and Smithing is one of the pivotal point after we advance to next tech level.

5. I get few notifications from Fluffy's Enhanced Tabs, I know its not your problem but it say that you have "no label set for WorkGiverDef IF_TrainingShooting" so I'm obligated to inform author of ARBRealisticResearch about it :D even if it's form Haplo's Miscellaneous mod (this is what you get from merging mods into one folder ;))
Also Fluffy's Enhanced Tabs is great but after I've loaded new version of ARB_RR I had many bugs related to new jobs. I don't know if "do bills at deep mine" was in previous.

6. IDK but shields (ones that can be build) doesn't work. Consider switching on Forcefields form Rikiki's M&Co. mod?

jackarbiter

Quote from: Prismaa on May 31, 2016, 11:10:08 AM
Should add additional lighting mod by Skullywags https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14177.0 (Remember to notify him if you add it) Love the ceiling light from this mod. Oh and it takes AGES to write needed reference books to advance further in research :P

I think that mod would go fine in mine.

I can't remember where it says it in CuproPanda's thread, and I haven't put my playthrough up yet to demonstrate, but writing books goes much faster in a room with high stats. I had a useless guy making statues all day and I ended up putting them all in a room; writing goes pretty fast in there.

But yeah it's intended to keep you stuck for a minute; it's a good time to simulate the wild west experience :D

Quote from: Grogfeld on May 31, 2016, 11:39:40 AM
I just had to start again because some bugs destroyed my saves (or my laptop 80 C/ 176 F on my cores) so again had to feel how slow is the start. :D But I have some observations.

1. New sleeping spots are probably useless. I don't know if anyone really use them. It's because we get early on leather from butchering. How about at start make that we get from butchering only meet, and then it would be upgraded, through research, to normal state. But it's only suggestion for better use of every item in game and I know that in biomes without trees padded sleeping spot is the only way to get good sleep.

2. Framed walls could have in stuff requirements wood. For example 2 wood and 3 of other stuff. But it's good that now they're cheaper then normal walls

3. Surgeries types are doubled (in my case) so maybe it have to do something with progressive unlocking.

4. At smiting tables we have simple prosthetics but it should be unlocked after researched Anatomy. Also, what do you think to give anatomy earlier as a branch of complex crafting? I know that you had created progress point and Smithing is one of the pivotal point after we advance to next tech level.

5. I get few notifications from Fluffy's Enhanced Tabs, I know its not your problem but it say that you have "no label set for WorkGiverDef IF_TrainingShooting" so I'm obligated to inform author of ARBRealisticResearch about it :D even if it's form Haplo's Miscellaneous mod (this is what you get from merging mods into one folder ;))
Also Fluffy's Enhanced Tabs is great but after I've loaded new version of ARB_RR I had many bugs related to new jobs. I don't know if "do bills at deep mine" was in previous.

6. IDK but shields (ones that can be build) doesn't work. Consider switching on Forcefields form Rikiki's M&Co. mod?

1. Yeah, they were more useful when I had originally forced cloth for beds, but it didn't make sense that you could use leather (furs, etc.) for beds, and I didn't want to nerf beds too badly, but I sorta nerfed sleeping spots when I did this. Not really sure how to do this better without nerfing beds... I guess I could require tailoring before a real bed could be made. Kinda makes sense.

2. Yeah, my problem with walls is that you've got tables or guns or etc. in the game that cost 70-120 steel, then you turn around and build a wall for 5. And the expensive walls are only 10. You can build a building for the price of one gun. I was trying to balance this out some, but I don't think I managed it, and I think if I tried to make walls cost more my users would go berserk.

3. Can you explain this further? I don't think I've encountered this issue.

4. I'll take a look at this.

5. Hmm well shooting training isn't technically in this mod anymore (the def is) since I had to change how the targets work. I'll take a look at this, if I can replicate I'll strip out the def and see if that fixes it.

6. I'll take a look at this as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Prismaa

Hmm what skill effects writing thingy? I noticed my char with lower Art skill but high research writes them very fast compared to one with high art and low research skills.

Dynastiew

An other problem i met, the Heavy turret is too long to make so colonist give up or daze before the end of it xD, it's not a recipe where you can go back and finish it when you want, it's one of those you need to do it in one go, like smoking meat for example ^^.

jackarbiter

Quote from: Prismaa on May 31, 2016, 01:49:23 PM
Hmm what skill effects writing thingy? I noticed my char with lower Art skill but high research writes them very fast compared to one with high art and low research skills.

Once again this is something that would be helped if I put up my playthrough, but I keep having to put it off.

Research is the most important skill by far (I've been a tech writer so I can attest that research can easily be the most important part of writing reference books, which is what I did for some time when I first started my career):
    <skillNeedFactors>
      <li Class="SkillNeed_BaseBonus">
        <skill>Research</skill>
        <baseFactor>0.52</baseFactor>
        <bonusFactor>0.12</bonusFactor>
      </li>
<li Class="SkillNeed_BaseBonus">
        <skill>Artistic</skill>
        <baseFactor>0.16</baseFactor>
        <bonusFactor>0.14</bonusFactor>
      </li>
    </skillNeedFactors>
    <capacityFactors>
      <li>
        <capacity>Consciousness</capacity>
        <weight>1</weight>
      </li>
      <li>
        <capacity>Manipulation</capacity>
        <weight>1</weight>
      </li>
      <li>
        <capacity>Sight</capacity>
        <weight>0.75</weight>
      </li>
    </capacityFactors>

Quote from: Dynastiew on May 31, 2016, 02:17:08 PM
An other problem i met, the Heavy turret is too long to make so colonist give up or daze before the end of it xD, it's not a recipe where you can go back and finish it when you want, it's one of those you need to do it in one go, like smoking meat for example ^^.

Huh CR must have left out the unfinished thing def. I'll add it in.

I was hoping to address some issues tonight but my night got shot in the face and it hasn't even begun yet. I'll get on this stuff as soon as I can.

eastwood6510

Speaking of playthroughs, does anyone know of someone doing a rimworld let's play with this mod?

It would be great to watch when I'm supposed to be working  ;D

Grogfeld

Quote from: eastwood6510 on June 01, 2016, 02:49:41 AM
Speaking of playthroughs, does anyone know of someone doing a rimworld let's play with this mod?

It would be great to watch when I'm supposed to be working  ;D

I don't think so. Mod is in early stage with bugs. But with some love and time we could see good modpack and then LP ;)

EDIT:
Quote from: jackarbiter on May 31, 2016, 01:44:22 PM
3. Can you explain this further? I don't think I've encountered this issue.

Ok, I've attached image. There are duplicated options.

Quote from: jackarbiter on May 31, 2016, 01:44:22 PM
5. Hmm well shooting training isn't technically in this mod anymore (the def is) since I had to change how the targets work. I'll take a look at this, if I can replicate I'll strip out the def and see if that fixes it.

But shooting range, and training dummy is, right? Because that notification is about this two buildings and jobs that are related to them. This is not a bug it's just info from other mod that there is no label and it use that label to better describe jobs.

On another note ,jackarbiter, your storyteller is really great. I'm using the nice one  (rough difficulty) because I don't want to jump into deep water without knowing how many sharks are there :D I like it. There is always something going on. 6 raids in 20 days vs 3 raids in 40 days with Randy Random (probably my bad luck) also only one raid with 6 pirates all on ATV (rescue event) They are fast as hell :D but not faster than bullets ;)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Amariithynar

Grogfeld, it might be because you're in dev mode. There's a lot of stuff that it wonks up in basic functionality by simply being activated.

Jack, your storyteller on Nice should not be factoring in anything but pop and building wealth, right? Six pop (three original, two who asked for help and had only a single enemy chasing them, one random wanderer), five reclaimed limestone ruins as buildings (all 3 by 5/6/7 blocks in size), and a few fence-buildings (fyi, fences act like regular walls if you have at least one wall piece within normal range) around my kitchen/food stockpile (made out of wood logs). I just got a raid of *40* enemies wander into my home. What's up with that? ._. This amount of stuff even with all my stuff lying on the ground would only count for a raid of maybe 7-10 people, otherwise. Does the 'nice' aspect also factor in chunks hauled ino your home zone? Trees growing in your home zone?

Grogfeld

Quote from: Amariithynar on June 01, 2016, 04:10:25 PM
Grogfeld, it might be because you're in dev mode. There's a lot of stuff that it wonks up in basic functionality by simply being activated.
I'll check if this is the case. I don't remember when I had dev mod disabled :D
EDIT: No it's still the same, maybe something is messing up but it doesn't do anything, so no complains :)

Also your storyteller probably doesn't like someone from your colony :D 40 raiders?! Was it Insane difficulty? Like I said with total wealth of 34k and building around 8k and 6 pop I had now raids with 8-10 tribal and around the same or less with pirates. But yes, there is something in less incident trolling, which is used here for generate incidents, that probably calculate wrong wealth. In dev mode you could inspect storyteller and in nice and normal storyteller there is almost no difference, It shows total wealth and Thread points are the same. But that's just what it shows and I don't know how it calculate. I'll check it maybe later.

I just looked up on Inspector and with rough difficulty, total wealth 56k, building 42k and 11 pop I'll have a raid incoming at 38 day with 790 points. That sounds right. As I recall it should be 4-5 high tech guys or 12 tribals, right?

EDIT: It was 18 tribals.

jackarbiter

Quote from: Amariithynar on June 01, 2016, 04:10:25 PM
Jack, your storyteller on Nice should not be factoring in anything but pop and building wealth, right? Six pop (three original, two who asked for help and had only a single enemy chasing them, one random wanderer), five reclaimed limestone ruins as buildings (all 3 by 5/6/7 blocks in size), and a few fence-buildings (fyi, fences act like regular walls if you have at least one wall piece within normal range) around my kitchen/food stockpile (made out of wood logs). I just got a raid of *40* enemies wander into my home. What's up with that? ._. This amount of stuff even with all my stuff lying on the ground would only count for a raid of maybe 7-10 people, otherwise. Does the 'nice' aspect also factor in chunks hauled ino your home zone? Trees growing in your home zone?

He is just the less incident trolling randy random who likes you to have more people (easier raider recruitment, etc). I looked at the code before I used him, he will only calculate building wealth. You can see your building wealth in the screen with the stat graphs.

If you want to make sure you are usung him you can open your save in notepad++ and search for storyteller, his def is arbiternice.

The most raiders I have ever gotten is less than the amount in the atv picture (that was a dev test with forced raid points), and I have pretty high building wealth. Are you using many other mods on top of this?

(EDIT)
Forgot, the arbiters have a longer max period of time between big bad events. This is, in part, to make using this mod not so damn hard.