A problem with Ice Sheets biome...

Started by Jack Kenseng, April 24, 2016, 05:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Kenseng

In the winter it is so cold that travelers and traders fall over dead in the fields.  I have 9 bodies out there right now.  While it is nice to loot traders, it feels pretty broken.

Edit: I should probably mention this was the coldest spot I could find on the entire map and it gets to -114F.

koisama

Just nine?
In any case, it's already known and it's more of a feature now.
Besides, raid strength is determined by wealth, and wealth is the combined cost of everything on the map. So you might get to loot a caravan, but then next raid will be stronger.

Jack Kenseng

It is undesirable for me, though.  I have a huge store room stuffed full of clothes, even picked up an excellent quality muffalo parka with -300F cold resistance (a polar bear killed him).  I'd rather completely disable traders, or force them to spawn with muffalo parkas so they have enough resistance.

The fact that I have warm clothes galore is not desirable.  And I don't want to totally disable traders, I did buy a couple animals to butcher for food as I struggled to get hydrophonics up and running without starving.  We even ate our Terrier.  But I might have to.

Would putting certain clothes on them be possible?

panofduluth

I agree. harsh climates seemed to be tacked on. they should have very different happenings then say a regular not to hot not to cold map. sounds silly traders or raiders would come into these harsh environments completely unprepared

Vaporisor

Hrm.... I guess the better solution would be if they came inside for warmth, much like your pawn AI does.  Either that or perhaps they could set up campfires and being in range of a campfire prevents freezing?  If you don't own it, you don't fuel it.  If it is just the freezing to death, that should be able to be remedied.  And animals should only be those that can take the cold, so no wandering with pet snakes for sale!

Perhaps what is needed is a few new clothing items to reflect developed vs tribal.  Here is how I would run it and I would think not hard to program.  Gear is there for modern in the toque and parka.  Tribal, I would make a  Tribal Cloak.  It goes over tribalwear and would be a combined cold weather parka/head gear so no helmets with a cloak.

In addition, I would add temperature to raid and traveller event triggers excluding the distress call raid.  Once temperature is at freezing for a spawn, then they come with the jackets.  At a second below freezing point, parkas.  A third level raiders will choose cold weather. over helmets and body armor equipment.  Final stage is a maximum low temperature where a raid will occur.  Can reverse this for high temp areas.

This means you will have to fight still, but all is not perfect.  Cold snaps/heat waves can still hit.  If they come during the day for a seige, might be under equipped for night.  If possible, Snapshot the 12h temperature for previous and reference that in place of the current temp.  This would reflect preparing to move out.

Having the cold snaps and heat waves still is of some interest, but like you said, them coming in and just dying is kinda....  One alternative to the clothing thing is you could set a stockpile to sort.  I am betting most of that pile of stuff is poor/shoddy quality and/or well worn.  So set your good stockpile to be only above normal quality, and say 75% condition.  Make a second stockpile for the stuff below that.

It is possible to make an incinerator of sorts depending on your power and resources until you can build a crematorium or smelter.  Tunnel out a small room and add a door.  To get rid of goods, toss a molotov in and run.  Grenades can destroy stuff if you start throwing them on stockpiles.  Ice sheet though, easiest is to just pile it all outside.  Will degrade to nothing, or eventually a trader you can sell to.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Vaperius

Quote from: Jack Kenseng on April 24, 2016, 05:41:37 PM
In the winter it is so cold that travelers and traders fall over dead in the fields.  I have 9 bodies out there right now.  While it is nice to loot traders, it feels pretty broken.

Edit: I should probably mention this was the coldest spot I could find on the entire map and it gets to -114F.

This is a bug. Tynan has said so. Its been mentioned in other threads. He will probably fix it in a hotfix soon.
I remain Vigilant.

Jack Kenseng

You know it is cold when a Muffalo falls over dead from hypothermia.  It isn't just Ice Sheets, it is the coldest area I could find on the map. :p

Polar Bears seem to be the only thing that can survive the temperatures.  That and people wearing muffalo parkas.

Vaporisor

Hrm.... what about a new item, animal clothing?

Small, medium, large animal cloaks.  Animal handlers put them on?
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Tynan

We're going to address this; it's a known issue for sure and is more troublesome now that traders carry such nice loot.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Vaporisor

Quote from: Tynan on April 25, 2016, 12:53:49 AM
We're going to address this; it's a known issue for sure and is more troublesome now that traders carry such nice loot.

Cool beans!  I am looking forward to it.  Hope is nice and immersive.  Also, a strange thought on topic of trader exploit, the trapping of traders.  Is there a way to cause a penalty if trapped?  Example, if no route can be found when they leave, a penalty for being trapped or a distress call where they come to tunnel them out?
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

ReZpawner

Hmmh, I quite liked having them visit and drop dead... I mean, the maps we're talking about aren't our average -40C maps, but the absolute coldest ones we can find(and we spend a lot of time finding them!). It ould be nice if there was some sort of other fix for it - maybe they would just come in-doors if they got too cold? It would make sense if they came inside to warm up, rather than falling over in the snow. Our own colonists already do that, so it would make sense.

Jack Kenseng

Now THIS is troublesome...I set the chances for all visitors to 0, made a new world and colony, and I still got visitors.

Maybe I should just piss off all the tribes so they stop visiting?

cultist

The problem lies with the traders, not so much the biomes. Land traders are a new feature in A13 so still early in development.

Jack Kenseng

Looks like I got the visitors to disable.  For some reason the game forces a visitor event when you first start, then after that nothing.

BetaSpectre

Yeah if they just wore the proper clothes they'd be fine. If they spawn with warm clothes problem solved.

Though this would mean if you attack them you'll get some nice clothing.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO