[A10] Project Armory (v.3.00)

Started by Evul, February 05, 2014, 02:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

I must say i'm quite surprised. No James bond style golden gun?

GREAT mod, BTW. :)
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Bog

Quote from: Quasarrgames on August 17, 2014, 04:56:00 PM
I thought of adding it a few times, but honestly there was no way to balance it well in the previous health system. It'd be a little more easy to balance in the current health system (where guns effectively have an upper limit to useful damage), but I still don't think it's totally appropriate.

On that note, there's about 10 other weapons that I've made that haven't made it into Project Armoury because I didn't feel they fit the game style or could be made well balanced or "fun". Someday I might release a "Project Armoury+" mod as an add-on to the regular Project Armoury that includes more outlandish weapons I've made that we wouldn't want in the regular mod.

Thanks. ;D

PS: Our weapon stat wallpaper on the front page is now very outdated. The mod now has about twice as many guns, so everybody should imagine it being a lot bigger. ;D
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Evul

You know it is possible to add stuff that is preset deactivated :P aka if you whant overpowers stuff you need to activate it first :)

Bog

Quote from: Evul on August 17, 2014, 05:37:55 PM
You know it is possible to add stuff that is preset deactivated :P aka if you whant overpowers stuff you need to activate it first :)
That's interesting.

Would you be okay with the mod having stuff like the Golden Gun, wizard staffs, improvised nail guns, the Gristle Gun, Earth Worm Jim's Plasma Blaster, etc?

We could put them all into a "ridiculous weapons" era or something. ::)

(The gristle gun, Jim's plasma blaster and three improvised nail guns are already done, by the way ;))
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Evul

Put them in the right category. So a starship trooper nuke launcher under starship troopers and a moded thermal detonator in starwars. Etc. When you added them go in the kit switcher and deactivate them. So they are released in the future as deactivated. Due to overpowerness :P

Bog

Quote from: Evul on August 17, 2014, 05:50:00 PM
Put them in the right category. So a starship trooper nuke launcher under starship troopers and a moded thermal detonator in starwars. Etc. When you added them go in the kit switcher and deactivate them. So they are released in the future as deactivated. Due to overpowerness :P
Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Sounds fun. ;D

We should then probably also make a readme file that tells people which weapons are disabled by default in case they forget.

Evul

New Weapon: [Starship Trooper] Tactical Oxygen Nuke (Deactivated Weapon)

Something like that :P

I can also add this:
Note some weapons are set to deactivated as default by the Project Armory Development Team. This because the weapon are to unbalanced or not fitting the mod completely. They can simply be activated by using the Kit Switcher.

Quasarrgames

Quote from: Bog on August 17, 2014, 05:14:37 PM
I thought of adding it a few times, but honestly there was no way to balance it well in the previous health system. It'd be a little more easy to balance in the current health system (where guns effectively have an upper limit to useful damage), but I still don't think it's totally appropriate.

On that note, there's about 10 other weapons that I've made that haven't made it into Project Armoury because I didn't feel they fit the game style or could be made well balanced or "fun". Someday I might release a "Project Armoury+" mod as an add-on to the regular Project Armoury that includes more outlandish weapons I've made that we wouldn't want in the regular mod.

Thanks. ;D

PS: Our weapon stat wallpaper on the front page is now very outdated. The mod now has about twice as many guns, so everybody should imagine it being a lot bigger. ;D

Forgive me, but I don't understand.

You say that you can't balance a gun like that? Than why not have it unbalanced, and just occur very late-game? My Quasarr Epic Weapons mod is almost entirely overpowered weapons that occur very late-game, and I find it very fun to play with (not sure about anyone else though).

(Please forgive me for asking)
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Bog

Quote from: Quasarrgames on August 17, 2014, 09:39:02 PM
Forgive me, but I don't understand.

You say that you can't balance a gun like that? Than why not have it unbalanced, and just occur very late-game? My Quasarr Epic Weapons mod is almost entirely overpowered weapons that occur very late-game, and I find it very fun to play with (not sure about anyone else though).

(Please forgive me for asking)
Well this will very quickly become a discussion about gaming philosophy.

In all honesty, it all boils down to opinions. I have a friend who won't play any game unless everything in it is basically perfectly balanced. He takes gaming very seriously in a competitive way, and when a game lets the "lesser player" win sometimes out of dumb luck he doesn't like it, even when he's the "lesser player". He wants the best player to win every time, and that requires very little of the game to be based on how good an item is, instead it needs to be focused more on how someone uses the item.

I know another guy who doesn't care at all about game balance and just wants them to be "fun". If a gun is obviously over-powered he doesn't care, so long as it makes big pretty explosions a lot and he occasionally gets a chance to be the one blowing everybody else up.

In my opinion, when making this mod one of the things we want to do is make it so there's lots of ways to play it. You should be able to only use shotguns, but be just as effective as the guy who chooses only to use sniper rifles if you both carefully pick your tactics right. You should also run into situations situations where you have a battle where you've picked the "wrong" gun for the job and suddenly have to make do with something that's below par.

I think we also want Project Armoury to be like an unofficial expansion pack. We want it to play just like the vanilla version, only with a lot more weapons selection to make things a lot more interesting so people who like it can play every match with it and feel that it's only adding to the game not taking anything away from it inadvertently.

TL;DR: Basically, in my opinion a standard Rimworld match the weapons should all be "side-grades" not "upgrades". We want PA to play a lot like vanilla Rimworld.

Putting a gun in the game that's literally better than all the other guns can destroy all of that. We actually have it happening right now in Project Armoury. The top three most powerful guns currently are each about half again better than the fourth most powerful gun. That means that if you can be choosy, you'll only ever use 3 of the ~150 we have in the mod, and those other ~147 guns may as well not exist. (which sort of removes the reason for making all of them, and PA's reason for existing is to get as many weapons as possible into the game)

Even carefully making all the "powerful weapons" as late-game weapons can throw all that out the window. Eventually following that logic every match will end with the player only ever using weapons that basically insta-kill whatever they shoot at. (maybe that's really, really late game ;))

In the end, making a mod like the "Quasarr Epic Weapons Pack" or "Cannon's and Turrets" still has it's place. I occasionally want to play a match where game balance is thrown out the window in exchange for pure unadulterated "FUN". ;D That's what oldschool gametypes like "the man with the golden gun" (007 64), "oddball" (halo), and "Jedi Master" (JK2 and 3) were all about. But that fun in exchange for balance isn't something that I want to play with every match, and I'd like Project Armoury to be something that can continue to be played by people every match without interfering much with how the game would be played without any mods loaded.

Evul and the rest of the mod team might have a different opinion about this though, we haven't really talked about it to be honest. I think we mostly make things up as we go along. ;)

JonoRig

Hey; I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not really a fan of the grenades, Molotov's (vanillas) RPG and grenade launcher; I don't suppose there's a way you could add explosives or something to the kit switcher, whilst keeping mortars in?

Evul

BOG:
That is exactly how the mod (in my head) should work :)

Quote from: JonoRig on August 18, 2014, 12:03:50 AM
Hey; I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not really a fan of the grenades, Molotov's (vanillas) RPG and grenade launcher; I don't suppose there's a way you could add explosives or something to the kit switcher, whilst keeping mortars in?

I'm afraid that project armory can't effect vanilla weapons. The vanilla weapons we have only change the name of bullet and weapon. If you whant to remove grenade type weapons you'll need to edit the weapon XML. I can remove them for you if you whant.
The project armory launchers and grenade can easily be deactivated by using the Kit switcher. :)

Bog

I think might be able to do that fairly easily with a work around. I might throw something together for you tomorrow,  if I have time. We'll see.

Edit: I've actually thought of a way to do it without a workaround,  I'll just make new faction and pawntype .hml files that don't spawn pawns armed with grenade weapons. That should be really easy and work seamlessly.

But not now, I have to go to bed.

Evul

Holy marry! Project Armory are now on top 100 on ModDBs list!
Many new players for rimworld will probably be expected for that :P

JonoRig

Quote from: Bog on August 18, 2014, 02:57:15 AM
Edit: I've actually thought of a way to do it without a workaround,  I'll just make new faction and pawntype .hml files that don't spawn pawns armed with grenade weapons. That should be really easy and work seamlessly.

Thanks! Take your time, I shouldn't be playing as it's so close to thesis hand in :( .... Well maybe just "5 minutes" when you release that patch  ::)

Bog

Quote from: Bog on August 18, 2014, 02:57:15 AM

Thanks! Take your time, I shouldn't be playing as it's so close to thesis hand in :( .... Well maybe just "5 minutes" when you release that patch  ::)
Well when you finish your work the new Grenade Disabler mod can be found here.

Hope you like it. :D