1) I have a bug problem, 2) I hate you.

Started by Darkstar82, May 01, 2016, 01:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkstar82

I waited too long to kill a hive, now its.. well... its like the film Aliens with boat load of bugs and a few rail guns to keep them at bay, listening to the distant sounds of sporadic gunfire to let you know they are there and want to come in...

Ive ramped the temperature up in the cave to 99oC  (not easy, LOTS of heaters) and the bug hives no longer reproduce, they have died off and there are thousands of corpses, but always, 5 to 7 bugs remain and they are just too damned strong to kill, plus, at 99oC my guys wont last anywhere near as long as they do!

I tried fire.  Massive fireball, 2000oC which destroys heaters + guns which would be fine if everything died, but still some survive after.

image attached.

^ And thats why I hate you. This game is merciless! :O :)

Can I get a nuke?

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

sadpickle

That is an... impressive amount of bugs. If you have a handful of skilled shooters and care to engage in some micro they can be dealt with. But since they always spawn indoors for me, unless the room is totally vital, I think it's easier to lob molotovs and let the temps soar, then clean up hives with melee fighters.

Shurp

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Darkstar82

Quote from: Shurp on May 01, 2016, 03:39:52 PM
Have you tried freezers instead?

The biome I am in is 30oC in winter so its less power hungry to heat than to cool. But they are tolerable to + or minus 50.

I hate to say this as I really like this game, but coming from version 11 on friends laptop to buying my own and having the latest version, many things seem very unbalanced now :/

Bugs that are hard to kill and double. Diseases that Ive never heard of that cant be cured, the animals are neat but how the hell do you STOP them. They just shag, double and eat all your damned food. And weird things like 12 staggered well spaced turrets all exploding in a long line because one at the far end was destroyed and steel is now seemingly as rare as diamonds given Ive excavated half a continent.

sincerely,

Frustrated.

Grizzlyadamz

The bugs are more sensitive to heat.
But the hives are more sensitive to cold.
If you can get the temp down to -20 or so, the hives should actually self-destruct. And in the current version, hive-less bugs go neutral & can be mopped up easily.
-e
Might've been -40 before they self-destruct. -17 and they won't spawn any more though, so if you can lower the temp in there and start slowly destroying the hives they won't respawn.

keylocke

looking at the pic, why do you even want to kill them? it's not like they spawned in a critical area of your base. you can even dig the walls so traders and raiders can drop by and say hi to the bugs.

Shurp

You can kill and eat animals faster than they eat your food :)

(click on a tame animal, "O" for slaughter)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mathenaut

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on May 01, 2016, 04:34:01 PM
The bugs are more sensitive to heat.
But the hives are more sensitive to cold.
If you can get the temp down to -20 or so, the hives should actually self-destruct. And in the current version, hive-less bugs go neutral & can be mopped up easily.
-e
Might've been -40 before they self-destruct. -17 and they won't spawn any more though, so if you can lower the temp in there and start slowly destroying the hives they won't respawn.

Essentially, this. Might take a bit of work to do, but if you can shut off respawning, then you can toss your colonists in some parkas and start blasting away.

Stealth

I just light them on fire with a fire launcher weapon (name?) that I got off of raiders since they burn until they're destroyed. Molotovs will do as well. Then you just mop them up at your own leisure.

Vaporisor

Quote from: Stealth on May 01, 2016, 10:01:48 PM
I just light them on fire with a fire launcher weapon (name?) that I got off of raiders since they burn until they're destroyed. Molotovs will do as well. Then you just mop them up at your own leisure.

Incidiary launchers?  Never tried that!  They like to pop up in my stone crypt so will use fire.  Sounds fun, almost more fun than vs sieges!
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Jorlem

Quote from: Darkstar82 on May 01, 2016, 03:58:41 PM
And weird things like 12 staggered well spaced turrets all exploding in a long line because one at the far end was destroyed
For this, put a single stone wall between the turrets, so they are spaced like this:

TWTWTWTWTW

This lets you pack the turrets in fairly closely, and if a turret explodes, there's a "shadow" from the wall that blocks the explosion from reaching the next turret in the line.  Be sure to either set the power cable back far enough that it is outside the blast radius, or put a solid line of walls behind the turrets to protect it.

Darkstar82

Thank you all. I did restart a new colony but with your combined tips bugs are no longer a problem.  :-*   :D

I torch the hive, lock off the area and let it burn, them incendary bomb the bugs one by one later once they have eaten each other.  This game really is macabre in places.

I`m finding a strange warmth in breeding and selling kittens.  They are useless things but they are cute, breed like tribbles and go for 80 bucks a pop.

The game is merciless but, I have to say Ive warmed to the latest v over v11, the expansion of the social and animal aspects is to me, (an under the hood kind of guy) very impressive. Such a simple graphics overlay of seemingly a complex system.

Jorlem

If you can get ten or eleven guys with longswords, they absolutely shred the bugs.  Not entirely sure how the stats line up, but most of my swords are plasteel.)  The new button for designating a target results in them all standing on the same tile, which results in insane attacks.  Anything less than a megaspider goes down before it can get an attack off, and the megaspiders go down in two or three hits.  The hives take maybe four or five seconds to destroy. (I got them to stack by targeting a hive, then let the bugs come to me.  It got rather silly.)

Cimm0

QuoteAnd weird things like 12 staggered well spaced turrets all exploding in a long line because one at the far end was destroyed

Put stone wall blocks between turrets and the explosion won't damage the next turret in line.

Stone walls are preferred because they won't burn so easily.