[WIP] (Alpha 8) Arachnid Threat (v.1.02) [Progress: 36% (141218 0147)]

Started by Evul, February 09, 2014, 08:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evul

Description:
The arachnids have been spotted and rimworlds have reported sightings of them. Grab your weapons and defend the colony from this new threat! The mod adds a new race called the Arachnids. The Arachnids are hostile towards everyone and will stop to nothing to wipe out the colony. The Arachnids origin from the novel and movie Starship Troopers. The mod is armed with the movie weapons Morita MKI Assault Rifle and Morita MKI Carbine from the Project Armory mod.

Mod Team:
Evul (Lead designer and developer)

Download:

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Screenshots:

Video:
YouTube - Official Gameplay

Known Issues:
-Currently none-

Bug and feedback tracker:

Planed Features
-New Pawn AI handling complex movement and bug behaviors.
-Ability for the Warriors to rip a pawn in to shreds.
-Custom pawn textures for desecrated pawn corpses.
-Ability for the Warriors to eat corpses.

FAQ:
Q: When will it be released?
A: After the release of RimWorld Alpha 3.

Q: Will they be animated?
A: No. Not at first. So enjoy the sliding bugs of death! :D

Q: Will this mod contain something else?
A: The mod will first of have a costum AI and other flavor events that is Starship Troopers related. The mod also have some weapons from Project Armory.

Q: Why?
A: Cause i can.

Misc:

Donate:
If you want to support the project and help Evul pay for the server the project uses. You can! Click the link below to donate. Everything is used to pay the for the CloudForge server!

chorokmonster

I'm really looking forward to this mod. can't wait !

Evul

Thx!
one thing that will be kind a funny tho is the lack of animations. Due to the games mechanic sooo? i will look forward to the warrior bugs awesome moving animation. :) Aka sliding cross the screen being deadly, like a avalanche. ^^

Evul

Tiberiumkyle

As if the Arachnid threat wasn't bad enough, the bugs now defy physics as they slide, unmoving, across the landscape to rip you apart!

I can't wait :D

TimMartland

Looks awesome! However, your gonna really have to nail the animations and transitions to make it look fluid.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Evul

AcDie

Evul

Yeah unless I figured out how to make the texture work, also how to make them hostile at spawn.

Rokiyo

Posting what I've found so far... It's by no means a solution, but it may help shed some light:

Looks like hostility is defined by the <defaultTeam> element.

Adding them to the raider team should make them:

• Friendly to raiders, prisoners & neutrals
  • Hostile to psychotics, colonists & travellers

Example:
<PawnKindDef>
<defName>Warrior Bug</defName>
<defaultTeam>Raider</defaultTeam>

Unfortunately I haven't found where <thinkConfig> is defined, so I'm not sure what that does.

I get the feeling that while adding your bugs to the raider team may cause your warrior bugs to defend themselves from colonists, it won't automatically cause them to actively hunt colonists.

There's a bunch of code under AI.AIKing that seems to relate to raider staging and assaulting, which includes the process of generating a "hit list" of your colonists and then sending the raiders to kill them. I believe the trick would be to generate a storyteller incident that triggers this AIKing code to send your bugs after the colonists.

Tynan's MiracleHealing mod that he included with Alpha 2 might provide some clues on how to add your own "bug assault" incidents for use by the storytellers.

SlimeCrusher

Hmm... I tried using my blobs to see if i can help out, i think you can add them to the team Psychotic, if it works like ingame psychotic squirrels, muffalos or boomrats, it should:
Attack colonists, raiders, travelers and prisioners
Friendly to psychotics, animals aaand... That's all i think
I don't think its possible to make it attack animals as well as colonists (Or other human races, such as raiders), but i think psychotic is the team you're looking for.
I don't know how those things react in the movie though, so its up to you.
Also, any ideas of how to make something on the team "Psychotic"? I tried adding the <defaultTeam>Psychotic</defaultTeam> bellow the defName like you said, but i don't think it works (Spawned colonists, NOTHING), i'll try with Raider to see if it works that way

Edit2: Hey no, it works! Although Psychotic is crap... In some moments i saw explosions, they were killing boomrats! Yea, its better to have them on raider i think, they attack but mostly they walk around without caring too much about your colonists
It goes bellow the Race thingy
Edit3: ... No, both of them are crap, it may be something because they're animals, even though, psychotic animals work exellent, these psychotic blobs WORK HORRIBLE!... Any ideas?

Rokiyo

Yeah... Things on team psychotic are hostile to absolutely everything, including other things on team psychotic. :P

Evul

Hmm i think we need to wait until alpha 3 when more stuff is moddable. And when it might be possible to add a new team and ai.

Evul

Have i manage to add some bugs that run around the dessert eating grass? Indeed i have!
They should have only one goal; find Humonids and kill them.

iame6162013

Quote from: Evul on March 31, 2014, 07:49:49 PM
Have i manage to add some bugs that run around the dessert eating grass? Indeed i have!
They should have only one goal; find Humonids and kill them.

Oh sounds cool can't wait ;)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."