[A13] [OVERHAUL] [WIP] Rimworld Ascension v1.0.1 (23.04.16)

Started by Wivex, May 22, 2016, 07:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartererThanYou

Quote from: Wivex on May 27, 2016, 09:12:51 AM
Quote from: aenariel on May 27, 2016, 08:41:15 AM
- I understand the concept for beds you're using but getting rid of the "sleeping spot" might not be such a good idea.

Sleeping spots are actually a cheesy way to order pawns where to sleep, which i don't like as a concept, since i try to avoid making direct control available anywhere except combat (if pawns have no proper beds, they are smart enough to choose a place themselves). I'll make it clear for the beginners how to make those beds though, as well as tutor info about other game features.

It could be possible to make cons of a sleeping spot more apparent. Disease, infection, and heavy mood loss can play a part in it. I understand that it's cheesy but I've had plenty of occasions that it'd be -100 degrees outside and the pawns decide they want to sleep outside.

Daïkï97427

Quote from: SmartererThanYou on May 27, 2016, 10:01:04 AM
Quote from: aenariel on May 27, 2016, 08:41:15 AM
- I understand the concept for beds you're using but getting rid of the "sleeping spot" might not be such a good idea.

Sleeping spots are actually a cheesy way to order pawns where to sleep, which i don't like as a concept, since i try to avoid making direct control available anywhere except combat (if pawns have no proper beds, they are smart enough to choose a place themselves). I'll make it clear for the beginners how to make those beds though, as well as tutor info about other game features.

It could be possible to make cons of a sleeping spot more apparent. Disease, infection, and heavy mood loss can play a part in it. I understand that it's cheesy but I've had plenty of occasions that it'd be -100 degrees outside and the pawns decide they want to sleep outside.
That guy got a point .

aenariel

Yea, I got it why you got rid of them. The only trouble that stems from it is the inability to treat the colonists if there are no beds available, which is troubling because possibly one of the first things you must do is treat your colonists because of the injuries sustained in the crash... Other than that, I'm fine with the sleeping spots not existing. But I predict that unless it becomes very clear that you need to get haygrass make beds right away, a lot of players will lose colonists very early on to infections.

Wivex

i'd rather make pawns take temperature into account when they search for a place to sleep. Or find a special solution for making beds in tundra\desert. But sleeping spot which doesn't even require being built is no-go.

Quote from: aenariel on May 27, 2016, 10:29:11 AM
one of the first things you must do is treat your colonists because of the injuries sustained in the crash...

Yes, but not using the magic sleeping spot. I'll make it possible for every situation to make actual "bed".

SmartererThanYou

Quote from: Wivex on May 27, 2016, 11:20:31 AM

i'd rather make pawns take temperature into account when they search for a place to sleep. Or find a special solution for making beds in tundra\desert. But sleeping spot which doesn't even require being build is no-go.

Quote from: aenariel on May 27, 2016, 10:29:11 AM
one of the first things you must do is treat your colonists because of the injuries sustained in the crash...

Yes, but not using the magic sleeping spot. I'll make it possible for every situation to make actual "bed".
I just had a thought. a "Sleeping Spot" That requires 2 rock chunks pushed together and maybe an upgraded one (That just increases comfort a bit) with animal hides on the rock

SmartererThanYou

Cobbled (I swear that pun wasn't intentional) together a simple texture for it (Without taking any inspiration form the other textures *Cough*)

Wivex

Thanks, man. I'll keep it as a last resort, in case i don't find any better solution (frankly speaking, choosing to sleep on the rocks instead of plain ground seems a bit silly to me).

SmartererThanYou

Quote from: Wivex on May 27, 2016, 03:32:44 PM
Thanks, man. I'll keep it as a last resort, in case i don't find any better solution (frankly speaking, choosing to sleep on the rocks instead of plain ground seems a bit silly to me).

Actually it wouldn't be silly. Sleeping on the ground is very dangerous in a survival situation. Since it's normally cold, wet or both, it will burn energy much faster. Not to mention bugs and bacteria are very dangerous in this type of situation.

Fluffy (l2032)

SmartererThanYou

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on May 27, 2016, 04:59:35 PM
my back hurts just thinking about it though...

And dying from infection sound like a fun way to go :p

Fluffy (l2032)

this is why I prefer to live in a civilized manner, enjoying my cozy desk job silently browsing these forums working in a climate controlled building whilst sitting in a comfy union approved desk chair, and sleeping on a kingsized boxspring covered under extra thick down blankets...

SmartererThanYou

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on May 27, 2016, 05:10:45 PM
this is why I prefer to live in a civilized manner, enjoying my cozy desk job silently browsing these forums working in a climate controlled building whilst sitting in a comfy union approved desk chair, and sleeping on a kingsized boxspring covered under extra thick down blankets...

While drinking coffee and playing videogames doing paperwork.

Tapkevich

Its actually not as bad as you think. Try to sleep on a wood planks, almost the same.

SmartererThanYou

Quote from: Tapkevich on May 27, 2016, 06:35:54 PM

Its actually not as bad as you think. Try to sleep on a wood planks, almost the same.

I think the main issue would be heat. Rocks absorb to much heat from direct contact so maybe a type of dead brush (Twigs) could be added, Or the hunting of seals could provide oil to make lanterns.

BlackSmokeDMax

I think hardcore sk had buildable sleeping spots. No material, but they did require building. May want to look at what mod they used for that. May be a happy medium, or at least an early placeholder until you have just what you want.