Short story. Duchess to the Deceased.

Started by Alitaria, May 29, 2016, 06:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alitaria

My second short story towards my "Rim Obituaries" series.
This story series focuses on a previous colony I maintained for around 8 ingame years. These short stories are how the occupants of "The Vault" died. The events are not portrayed exactly how they occurred but rather how I imagine they occurred.
This story is a selection of Journal entries leading up to a Mechaniod invasion that ultimately ended the colony.
Hope y'all enjoy.

16th of December, 5002
Entry 1

There are some things I just don't talk about. Relationships. Escape. Happiness. Living 'till next week.
I'm are stuck here, may as well not get my hopes up.
My name is Anastelle Decena, Duchess of the Decena estate on the planet Ryondie. But we aren't on my estate anymore. This is the Rim, and I am not a ruler here. The people here call me Ana, it's not much of a title, but it's better than "The Late Anastelle Decena". Life here is hard. If you want to live, you work. If you want to die, leave. Though I could never leave, I owe my life and surely my sanity to these people.

21st of July, 5003
Entry 148

Why didn't I take those hunting sessions more seriously? Knowing how to handle a gun might have saved my leg.
Some pirate gang from a settlement nearby decided to assault the Vault without our scouts noticing. Thanks guys.
They ambushed a work site were we were testing our IED's to break through rubble. In hindsight, not their smartest move. Also in hindsight, shouldn't have been taking cover near the rubble we were clearing. It was already unstable so the gunfire dropped it, right onto my leg.
I must have blacked out because I woke up yesterday in the medical bay with a bionic leg grafted to my nervous system. This will take getting used to.

3rd of January, 5004
Entry 473

Sometimes I think about what life would be like if I hadn't boarded that ship. If maybe my life would have taken a different turn, or whether I'd still be stuck in that stuffy dress lording over those beneath me who desperately try to live until tomorrow. Maybe I would have left, gone on some adventure to the major cities. But no, instead I got on that ship. The Orion XI was its official name. The crew affectionately referred to it as the Jewel. On account of how its window's sparkled in the starlight I'm told. Fat load of good that did when the hull was burst open.

8th of March, 5004
Entry 604

It's days like this that I almost wish I was back on that fucking pirate vessel. At least then I knew I was going to be fed everyday. Lockdown for a week. All because some idiot tribal decided to rip the hull off of a mechaniod ship that crashed a few kilometers away. They were massacred. When the salvage crew went for survivors, instead of body bags, all they needed was a mop. Our own gunner crew even had troubles with those Scythers.
The hallways were stained with blood that day.

7th of May, 5006
Entry 895

The proximity alarm for a salvage op on a nearby ruin was tripped today. The Vault scouts dismissed it as a "non threat". As annoying as it was to spend another 6 hours on lockdown at least it postponed the day's chores. It was raining cats and dogs out there.

8th of May, 5006
Entry 896

The same proximity alarm was tripped 7 times over the course of the night. Scouts lost contact with the surveillance equipment stationed there.
The whole Vault is on edge but no direct warning sirens have been triggered.
This doesn't feel right.

--MEDICAL LOG--
//SUBJECT -- ANASTELLE J. DECENA
//DATE -- 09//05//5006
//TIME -- 04:47

//INJURIES SUSTAINED   
                     -- Gun shots to torso, right arm, neck and right thigh.
                     -- Burns to right arm and right thigh.
                     -- Bruising
                     -- Extreme blood loss.
                     -- Rupture of right lung.
                     -- Rupture of liver.

//CURRENT STATUS -- EXTREME CONDITION
//RECOMMENDED ACTION -- CRYPTOSLEEP
//ACTION TAKEN -- CRYPTOSLEEP UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
~*~
--CYRPTOSLEEP POD 003--
//POD STATUS -- MALFUNCTION IN LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS
//TIME ENCLOSED -- 211 YEARS 7 MONTHS --ERROR RETRIEVING DATA--
//OCCUPANT STATUS -- STABLE
//OCCUPANT VITAL SIGNS -- UNSTABLE
//RECOMMENDED ACTION -- AUTOMATIC REVIVAL FROM CRYPTOSLEEP

//OCCUPANT REVIVED FROM CRYPTOSLEEP

//OCCUPANT VITAL SIGNS -- ERROR RETRIEVING DATA

//OCCUPANT STATUS -- DECEASED
Context is key when discussing RimWorld in public

cultist

This is good. Really good. Maybe the tone is a bit er... common in places, if the writer is supposed to be a noble. There are also a few minor typos but that's minor quibbles. I really liked it.