Has there been Dev mention of an upcoming Water System?

Started by Reolos, July 05, 2016, 12:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reolos

Hi all,

I have been playing since A8 (if I remember correctly). I had mentioned a water system way back when, as had others, and I was wondering if Tynan had commented on it, or if was in the works in any way?

What I had envisioned was water needed for everything. Pawns need to dig wells for finding it, or use map water if it is present.
Water would be needed for:

pawn hydration (canteens and bubblers)
  plumbing (for cooking and droppin' deuce)
  animal hydration (both domestic and wild)
  crops (irrigation channels, then sprinkler systems, then aquaponics)
  firefighting (bucket brigade, then hoses and sprinklers)
  defense (moats, floodgates, and fire-hosing)
  some crafting (hide-working, tempering steel, etc)
  cleaning (mopping, and even personal hygiene)
  biome fauna (fish, mollusk, crustaceans).

Looking forward to the next alpha, keep up the good work!

Kryc8

Listen1

This has been suggested by the community many times, but we gotta admit, if they don't make it something huge and necessary, it will just look shallow.

So probably this update should modify:

Pawns:
- New meter - Thrist
- New Item on the Inventory (Water bottle/canteen)
- New thoughts regarding water.
- New diseases.
- New Needs
Colony:
- New structures.
- A Piping system that would operate in another Z-ish level bellow eletric conduits.
- Pumps
- Sinks/water taps
- New type of dirt: Wet. Humid. Damp.
- New events like water contamination.
- New events like floods/leakages inside the colony.
World:
- Rebalance of the maps so that every map can have some sort of water.
- Rebalance on Rain system, because you can always create a huge fire, than it starts to rain, and you get water (even at a desert)
- Rebalance on Rain amounts

... I got tired. There's lots more.

I don't want to be negative, but this would be gigantic major overhaul on the game, would add alot of depth and generate even greater stories. I believe that this will be added to the game, but it probably gonna be a long time from now...

...Then Tynan starts laughing like an evil villan from the chair at his office, because that wil be A15.

A man can dream!

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on July 05, 2016, 03:27:29 PM
This has been suggested by the community many times, but we gotta admit, if they don't make it something huge and necessary, it will just look shallow.

So probably this update should modify:

Pawns:
- New meter - Thrist
- New Item on the Inventory (Water bottle/canteen)
- New thoughts regarding water.
- New diseases.
- New Needs
Colony:
- New structures.
- A Piping system that would operate in another Z-ish level bellow eletric conduits.
- Pumps
- Sinks/water taps
- New type of dirt: Wet. Humid. Damp.
- New events like water contamination.
- New events like floods/leakages inside the colony.
World:
- Rebalance of the maps so that every map can have some sort of water.
- Rebalance on Rain system, because you can always create a huge fire, than it starts to rain, and you get water (even at a desert)
- Rebalance on Rain amounts

... I got tired. There's lots more.

I don't want to be negative, but this would be gigantic major overhaul on the game, would add alot of depth and generate even greater stories. I believe that this will be added to the game, but it probably gonna be a long time from now...

...Then Tynan starts laughing like an evil villan from the chair at his office, because that wil be A15.

A man can dream!
the way you describe this makes me concerned that the water system will have the chance to become like annoying when most of what can go wrong does go wrong (flooding the colony with contaminated water in the middle of a desert with all your colonist really thirsty) just like when all of your colonist get the plague or some other sickness all at the same time
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

DariusWolfe

Quote- New events like floods/leakages inside the colony.

I used to work inside an office complex inside a mountain. (I'll let you guess which one!) Last year, there was so much rain that it was literally raining inside the mountain. The water had leeched down through the granite until it reached the tunnel complex that the facility was built inside of. The under-carriage of the buildings was so flooded that the maintenance personnel were literally up to their waists in water. That's probably a little bit more in-depth (pun intended) than Rimworld is intended for, since it involves Z-levels, but it does give an idea of how water in a cave system can be problematic.

Listen1

Quote from: Simon_The_Space_Engineer on July 05, 2016, 10:40:22 PM
the way you describe this makes me concerned that the water system will have the chance to become like annoying when most of what can go wrong does go wrong (flooding the colony with contaminated water in the middle of a desert with all your colonist really thirsty) just like when all of your colonist get the plague or some other sickness all at the same time

I'd say it's a necessary nuance. It will make part of the game that has the focus on surviving. But like everything else, it will become a problem if not well managed.  But can add alot of depth. So much depth.

So it is worth it.

Quote from: DariusWolfe on July 05, 2016, 10:55:12 PM
I used to work inside an office complex inside a mountain. (I'll let you guess which one!) Last year, there was so much rain that it was literally raining inside the mountain. The water had leeched down through the granite until it reached the tunnel complex that the facility was built inside of. The under-carriage of the buildings was so flooded that the maintenance personnel were literally up to their waists in water. That's probably a little bit more in-depth (pun intended) than Rimworld is intended for, since it involves Z-levels, but it does give an idea of how water in a cave system can be problematic.

I... have no words for that. You work inside of a Mountain? That is amazing, I would sing dwarven songs all day long and drink mead every night

JimmyAgnt007

There is a reason I put this in the frequent suggestions topic.  Good idea, big thing to do right, suggested all the time.

DariusWolfe

QuoteI... have no words for that. You work inside of a Mountain? That is amazing, I would sing dwarven songs all day long and drink mead every night

Used to. Got out of that position two weeks ago, though I'll probably head back up there from time to time. But no, no dwarven jokes, just jokes about the Stargate.

skullywag

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on July 05, 2016, 03:27:29 PMit will just look shallow.

Hehe nice.

But yeah its something a few of the modders have toyed with but it ends up in the same state always. Pawns spend too long doing water stuff to get any work done. The balance between how much food over much water in terms of consumption per day then throws the food balance out of whack and it cascades into an unholy mess of tweaking other stuff thats not even water related. So yeah we have dabbled. Its not a fun project.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Kegereneku

I can't disagree on principle but a new feature have to fit with the others, and by that I mean, don't Dwarf them.
It's about addressing the complexity, the time it take, how it is macro managed and how it upgrade with time. A Tribal-scenario can't rely on pump & pipe, hauling run take enough time as it is.
(Not that I would mind trading Combat aspect for Survival aspect)

So, no Tynan didn't mention any water system in the work. If he added any idea throw around here, Rimworld would have vehicles, city-sized colony, Z level, multi-planet colony...etc (at least a Water System is feasible)
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

RawCode

Quote from: Kegereneku on July 06, 2016, 04:40:35 PM
I can't disagree on principle but a new feature have to fit with the others, and by that I mean, don't Dwarf them.
It's about addressing the complexity, the time it take, how it is macro managed and how it upgrade with time. A Tribal-scenario can't rely on pump & pipe, hauling run take enough time as it is.
(Not that I would mind trading Combat aspect for Survival aspect)

So, no Tynan didn't mention any water system in the work. If he added any idea throw around here, Rimworld would have vehicles, city-sized colony, Z level, multi-planet colony...etc (at least a Water System is feasible)

You forgot MMO style multyplayer...
more != better

Kegereneku

Ah indeed, we mustn't forget the SYNCHED multiplayer, and you would play it with your PERSONAL PAWN in FIRST PERSON VIEW ! (yes I read that)

Still got to admit a Water System is reasonable even if the way it is added must be carefully designed.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

b0rsuk

I don't want to play a bullet point list. Please explain how these will make the game more enjoyable.

DariusWolfe

They'd make the game more enjoyable in the same way that temperature, mood, relationships, etc. make the game more enjoyable. It's more factors to consider, things to plan for, deal with when problems crop up, and when managed correctly can improve the quality of life of your colonists, and give you additional options to deal with problems that arise.

Honestly, the way Reolos and Flying Rockbass lay it out, I can't see how anyone can enjoy this game at all and not see how these would be an overall improvement. It'd be a BIG change to the game, and it would be an additional learning curve, but it's been my experience that with games like this, that's considered a feature.