[1.0] RedistHeat (Oct 29, v50) Ported to 1.0

Started by Morgloz, July 19, 2016, 02:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgloz

Quote from: Delerium76 on July 30, 2016, 02:25:21 PM
Not sure if you can fix this on your end or not, but your ductwork doesn't attach to utility walls from the clutter structures mod.  Any chance you could add that feature?
I'll see what I can do

Quote from: papu on July 31, 2016, 11:59:30 AM
i might have found a bug? or its probably me. i was trying to make a central cooling system then accidentally found the cooling problem in the image below

When i turned my industrial coolers off and even Closed the intake vent, the pipes are still 11 celcius and my rooms still stayed at the same temps, fortunately closing the outlet ducts changed the room's temperature.
It's not only you, I'm working to fix it.
My mods:
RedistHeat

MaxP

I think there is a good idea to replace air nets with water pipes, and duct vents with radiators.
Water is the best for heat transfer, and it's more real-like system.
So what it may looks like:
- Water tank
- Heaters (firewood, electrical or any other fuel)
- Water pipes
- Radiators

dsandy82

Getting these errors whether it's alone in the mods list(other than CCL) or not.

Morgloz

Version 43f released, destroy every duct intake/outlet to let the changes take effect.
My mods:
RedistHeat

biship

Using 8/14 github build (I don't see an option to open a github issue).
Getting this on game start, even before loading a save.

XML error: <energyPerSecond>0.1</energyPerSecond> doesn't correspond to any field in type CompAirTraderProperties.
XML error: <energyPerSecond>0.15</energyPerSecond> doesn't correspond to any field in type CompAirTraderProperties.
XML error: <energyPerSecond>0.9</energyPerSecond> doesn't correspond to any field in type CompAirTraderProperties.

Gfurst

Hey Morgloz, thanks for keeping up with the awesome mod.
May I ask how the latest version changes affects the usage of the ducts?
I have a lengthy text in preparation about usage of the mod and how it can be improved, but it will take a while before I'm able to write it, until then.

Sylph

It might be my mod configuration, but active vents seem to be magic. They seem to function normally in relation to the room they are monitoring, but they cause the room they are not monitoring to be heated/cooled to the temperature they are trying to maintain in the room they are monitoring... if that makes any sense. I realised something wasn't quite right when I had a solar flare during winter on a ice sheet and the majority of my base remained at a comfortable twenty one degrees celcius. I used god mode to delete all the active vents and replaced them with normal ones, the temperature bug was resolved, to the chagrin of my colonists.

Gfurst

Quote from: Sylph on August 17, 2016, 03:00:23 PM
It might be my mod configuration, but active vents seem to be magic. They seem to function normally in relation to the room they are monitoring, but they cause the room they are not monitoring to be heated/cooled to the temperature they are trying to maintain in the room they are monitoring... if that makes any sense.
Well the vent supposed to work this way: if the target temperature for the room is offset and the other room has excess temperature, then it opens and works as a regular vent, equalizing temperature.
For example, you can only cool a target room if the other side of the vent has lower temperature than target room, even then the vents open equalizing temperature, so it could just be a case of them getting pretty close equalizing.

Sylph

Quote from: Gfurst on August 17, 2016, 03:33:18 PM
Quote from: Sylph on August 17, 2016, 03:00:23 PM
It might be my mod configuration, but active vents seem to be magic. They seem to function normally in relation to the room they are monitoring, but they cause the room they are not monitoring to be heated/cooled to the temperature they are trying to maintain in the room they are monitoring... if that makes any sense.
Well the vent supposed to work this way: if the target temperature for the room is offset and the other room has excess temperature, then it opens and works as a regular vent, equalizing temperature.
For example, you can only cool a target room if the other side of the vent has lower temperature than target room, even then the vents open equalizing temperature, so it could just be a case of them getting pretty close equalizing.

Let me put this another way:

Ice sheet ambient outside temperature: -50 degrees.
My main greenhouse, workshop and connected passages: 350+ open tiles.
Heating apparatus: none functioning.
Interior temperature (not of the room the active vents were trying to keep at 21 degrees): 21 degrees.
Interior temperature (of the few small bedrooms the active vents were trying to keep at 21 degrees): 19 degrees.
Interior temperature after removing all active vents: -40 degrees.

;D

Gfurst

Anyway, so here my overview of the Redist mod, (new post cause its long).

I really like the base concept of the mod, and that is to have more options to better maintain temperature in your structures, forwarding heat to different places and etc, without need weird and ugly designs. Also the graphics and builtin on the walls are really nice features.
Most people seems to get confused on how it works, as did I when first started with it. Like the idea of having a duct intake for coolers before an outlet, like real air duct systems would work. However there is a  big difference concept with the game: it doesn't vent air, but heat volume. I'm just guessing this, but actual air isn't simulated in game (no pawn dies of asfixiation), instead heat is measured as volume, like how big a room is and how much different the temperature is.

So far so good, once you get that concept you can make better use of the mod. However the mod lacks a bit in design, it needs some improvement but I'm not sure how, why? It seems the mod is design in a way to encourage buffer rooms with controlled temperature. For example, one of the ways is to have a "cold room" with a industrial freezer, make it a  freezing room, from that you have duct intakes and designated cool pipe that distributes wherever you need them to. You can even utilize the cooler hot side for another "hot room".

So one way to effectively use this is having both "cold" and "hot" rooms, a duct designated for each extreme. For each controlled room you have two smart outlets, one connected to the colder and another to the hot pipe. This is one way to get it working reliably without needing to micro. However if you consider the whole system it ends up being way more costly and much less effective than doing things the conventional way, just building coolers and heaters wherever you want. This is counter intuitive as generally central systems should be the most efficient ones, instead of the other way around, maybe at the cost of more planning and construction.

That is one of the major ways to use the mod, and seems to be flawed. Another way to use it, instead of having both hot and cold ducts, would be to have one controlled duct, for example always averaging +-22°C. However that is hard if not impossible to do, the only object that can control directly the duct temperature is the cooler, there is no duct heater and no controlled intake (monitors the duct temperature instead of the room).

So in my opinion (and recommendations to the mod), there should be those missing objects, like and inline heater and controlled intake. Why not intake air from the nice weather outside? Having controlled intake you would only need one general duct system for the average base. Another, like someone else suggested, would be to have smart outlets hook to both pipes, having a hot and cold pipe, but like I've said, that really isn't much efficient.
Another small points I like to make: the bigger structures should be significantly more efficient, the bigger cooler and heaters. I also think they should be hooked with ducts, ducts are cool and should be encourage to be used. Why even have vent output on the bigger cooler in the first place? Also a fuel heater would be really neat too, nothing like a fireplace to warm up your shelter. And of course heat generation is usually significantly easier than refrigerating a place, where to heat to place you'd only need to burn something or pass raw power through it, where as to refrigerate you do need a differential pump engine of some sort (I'm not actually sure in terms of power consumption).

So to summarize (I told you it was going to be a lengthy text). I really think the objects mentioned would be a good addition, specially the duct connected stuff. But overall I think the mod design is worthy of a relook, I don't even know what should be best too. But considering overall, the name of the mod Redist Heat should really be about options heat distribution. All the while remembering, if the player is going to the effort of designing and building the whole heat network it should least be more efficient than conventional setups.

All in all, I have to declare, I still enjoy the mod very much and managed to achieve a good balance with efficiency in my little base, using a little bit of each system, so many thanks of working on this. Cheers!

Morgloz

Quote from: biship on August 15, 2016, 09:56:13 AM
Using 8/14 github build (I don't see an option to open a github issue).
Getting this on game start, even before loading a save.

XML error: <energyPerSecond>0.1</energyPerSecond> doesn't correspond to any field in type CompAirTraderProperties.
XML error: <energyPerSecond>0.15</energyPerSecond> doesn't correspond to any field in type CompAirTraderProperties.
XML error: <energyPerSecond>0.9</energyPerSecond> doesn't correspond to any field in type CompAirTraderProperties.

You have the old defs, I downloaded the v43f release and it has the correct ones, so erasing the redistheat folder and downloading again should do the trick.
My mods:
RedistHeat

Morgloz

Quote from: Sylph on August 17, 2016, 03:52:28 PM
Let me put this another way:

Ice sheet ambient outside temperature: -50 degrees.
My main greenhouse, workshop and connected passages: 350+ open tiles.
Heating apparatus: none functioning.
Interior temperature (not of the room the active vents were trying to keep at 21 degrees): 21 degrees.
Interior temperature (of the few small bedrooms the active vents were trying to keep at 21 degrees): 19 degrees.
Interior temperature after removing all active vents: -40 degrees.

;D

Wow, I'll check that  :).
My mods:
RedistHeat

skyboy

I appear to have completely broken all concept of conservation of energy:

Using only the single cooler in the top picture and 5 smart outlet vents i can heat this entire complex to 70 F at -16 F external temperature with one smart outlet vent per room, and the freezer (blue room, lower ducts) set to -20 F, though it only maintains around -10 F that's expected.

The outlet vents in the small room with the cooler are set to maintain 88 F rather than 70 F, to give the rest of the base some temperature to work with.

Using this mod list:

bomberchibbi

Hi,

I just wanted to report what is a bug imo. I have a setup, where several industrial coolers cool a room to -20°C, in that same room I have several intakes, then followed by a pipeline to a 8x5 room, which is supposed to be cooled. If I attach a smart outlet to the line (all set to lower) the temperature starts going crazy and the network temperature jumps to 20-21°C. If I however attach a "dumb" outlet, the temperature falls to -32°C, which is lower than the intake temperature. I'm on a temperate planet, outdoor temp is 24°C and room temperature of all adjacent rooms is similar, the rooms are also all sealed with doors. Atm I for the love of god can't figure out how this mod calculates temperatures, nor can I establish the temperature I want. I watched the tutorial video, made sure it's all connected to the same line and also that there are enough intakes. The room I want to cool Is not too spacious either (8x5). So is there something funky with the mod at the moment, or may I be doing something wrong? (everything is powered when this occurs ofc)

Riotzanber