Some thoughts on crafting

Started by Psyckosama, February 28, 2014, 06:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psyckosama

Had a couple ideas that might be worth someone thinking about. If you guys don't it it, I'll try my hand but I don't trust myself not to blow up the game.

First, can we actually have the Artistic skill do anything? If so I'm thinking it might be interesting to make a crafting table with a bill layout that can create sculptures out of stone and/or silver. Basically you build a pedestal as the storage unit and then like cooking you can use Artistic to order various levels of Art. Each level/piece of art will have a specific affect on happiness/fear and a matching crafting cost.

Second, how about a weapon smithing table? Crafting depends on the complexity of the weapon and each gun or gun type would need to be individually researched. The the most simple ad hoc arms like Molotovs you might be able to make from the get go with advanced energy weapons like the T9 and R4 needing heavy research and a high craft skill. Maybe even use it to include a larger array of weapons from simple to advanced.

Third, some kind of recycling bench. Basically you know all those excess guns you quickly build up and can't get rid of? How about a way to break them down into delicious metal! Sound like a good idea?

What do you think?

Jones-250

Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Evul

I was thinking on making a crafting table for weapons and make some weapons available for crafting. But if some one else what to make it go right a head ^^

AcDie

Psyckosama

I suggested that breaking down weapons be added to the blacksmithing table mod. It would make sense. I'd mod the mod myself but I don't want to be rude.

I'm working on the Sculpting Table mod and decided that if I can get it to work, I'm going to have it involve 8 new items... 6 statues and 2 pieces of furniture.

The furniture is the table itself and a display pedestal.

The items are 3 levels of statue, Crude, Normal, and Masterpiece... and 2 types: Scary and Attractive.

I'm thinking the materials that would be used by this are Stone, Metal, and/or Silver.

What do you think the various statues should look like?

If I can't think of anything else, Attractive will be a vase and Scary a skull with crude being made of Orange metal, Normal out of carved stone, and masterpiece out of shiny silver.

What do you think?

AcDie

Quote from: Psyckosama on March 01, 2014, 11:20:53 AM
What do you think the various statues should look like?
rocket/spaceship, RW logo/star, home sweet home..

Psyckosama

Got any sample arts I can use? I have the idea clear in my head but my attempt to make artistic objects has kind of failed... :(

Plus anyone know the different art qualities? Or is it just "Beautiful" and "SmallNice"

AcDie

Quote from: Psyckosama on March 01, 2014, 10:11:21 PM
Got any sample arts I can use? I have the idea clear in my head but my attempt to make artistic objects has kind of failed... :(
Nope, but can make some if need :P

Haplo

If it isn't already in work by someone, I have the plan to work the following days on a weaponsmith table that compliments my blacksmith table mod. I have the rough plan but haven't had time to do it yet..

AcDie

Quote from: Haplo on March 02, 2014, 12:12:55 PM
If it isn't already in work by someone, I have the plan to work the following days on a weaponsmith table that compliments my blacksmith table mod. I have the rough plan but haven't had time to do it yet..
Weaponsmith = create weapons via recipes, if so how about integrate weaponsmith into Project Armory?
Or maybe i'm not understand it right.. ???

Haplo

That's a really good idea, and I am all for it if someone wants to do it, but I try to design my mod firstly to be fully compatible to the basic picture of the game. And thats not a given when its only integrated into Project Armory.
I have no problems, if someone of Project Armory takes my mod and integrates it to their needs, or maybe I can do it if requested, but my first version of a weaponsmith table will be independent and based only on the core weapons. Thats not some sort of egoistical thing, but because there are people out there, who don't want the additional weapons from Project Armory, because they want to play as close to the base game as possible and only take a few minimal inversive additions that fit into the Rimworld base picture as it is right now.

I am one of those and because of that most of the time I have only a few selected mods running.
Project Armory is only active at about half of the games I play :)

So all in all:
-My first version will be for the core game.
-If wanted I'll provide a version for Project Armory afterwards. (Or give them permission to edit it as they like, whatever works best)

Does that sound ok to you guys?

OpposingForces

@Haplo: sounds good to me. i actually just made a request for a weapon smith table. my idea was that you could only make the basic pistol at the start but you could research the other weapons. you could also set up a bill to repair any damaged weapons. i enjoy the fact your blacksmith mod allowed me to break down all those extra pistols into sorely needed metal, but hated the fact there is no way to make weapons. only scavenge or buy them.
No one can hear you scream in space. But the Raiders get a chuckle from you screaming while a boomrat eats you.