A Pure Colony

Started by fervour, February 28, 2014, 11:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fervour

*Firstly this isn't a suggestion that I plan to see implemented, I think it's more of an idea that I'd like to see opinions on.

I've been playing a lot of RimWorld recently.
- What I'd love to see is the way in which each person reacts with the others in the colony. (eg. Friends, Family, Lovers and Grudges.)
- Also to have a chief of the colony to take charge in some areas like trading and negotiation.
- To have travellers walk into the colony seeking accommodation for a few nights (without being arrested) and gaining a few silver coins for our hospitality <-- this can be implemented, that would be cool.
- Having traders arrive by land.
- Supply travellers that walk through with light entertainment, and drinks.
- Colonists to have personalities and desires (eg. a colonist could want to open a stone supply store, where he gathers the stone (that you've set aside) and sells to traders.)
- Colonist are able to keep their own things as memoirs, and keep them in their rooms to cheers themselves up. They can also buy things for themselves from the land traders.

Obviously a lot of what I have to say is inspired from Dwarf Fortress and it can't be implemented into the game due to it's complexity but I just wanted to share some of my ideas with the community.

JonoRig

I like these suggestions, some may be a bit complicated/out of original design scope, but I imagine the hotel idea could be done by cycling bed types (colonists, prisoners and then visitor) maybe even set your price... Like maybe rather then just silver, they may do field work for you (so a growing expert may do some crops for a couple days, or a miner may intuitively go away from your base and dig out surface metal [tho I imagine that one could het annoying but u get the picture])

Vas

I think the visitor beds is a nice idea, and if you set no fee, they can just randomly leave a random amount of something like silver or food, or metal behind for you as a token of their appreciation and they may even come back.  You could also convince them to stay with your warden during their visit, if you set the warden to do that, just like prisoner, except with a visitor tab instead.  Maybe instead of savage beatings and such, you could have an option that lets you capture as slave.  This would make them move slow at all times, unable to hold a weapon, add to their stress till they are released or die or go insane (going insane while wearing hand cuffs would be kinda hard.  xD)

I also like traders by land, small bits of trade, maybe a workshop where you have someone go work at who takes stone or stone blocks and builds gifts for your colony or visitors.  Visitors would leave money for you, which would add to your colony stock pile.  Colonists would just go there for something to make them happy, an invisible item that doesn't go anywhere.  So they just go in and get the status "Got a souvenir" and that's add to their happiness for a while.  Possibly an item icon in their window indicating they are holding a souvenir already which will somehow break or be lost after several days, so they'd have to go back and get a new one every once in a while.

If you set up a mini shop thing like a kitchen sized table with a shop keep, you can attach a zone to it and set it up for supplies you want him to be able to sell.  Maybe he will take care of all negotiations and you can't set prices yourself but you'll get random money from each thing he sells.  You could even set up a visitor kitchen so visitors can request a meal and wait for it.  The request meal would have a higher threshold than "needing to eat right now before I starve" obviously, giving them time to wait.

I'd like a chief of the colony, who will help the mentality of the people while he's there.  Preventing mental break downs of people who are angry because of sleep or food or even just afraid of the dark like little pansies.   This would depend on his social skill as well so preventing a mental break wouldn't be 100%.  A chief dies, and the entire colony is stressed by this and will lose loyalty and faith, maybe even have fear for a while or just more stress. Same for if the chief goes mental, though it should be harder since a chief would need to keep his cool under most situations, so maybe he'd always have a +5 or +10 on him "Acting Chief"

With a random chance of visitors deciding they want to stay of their own free will, this would be a good way to get new colonists as well.  So after a visitor stays for a few days, he may decide to stay and become part of the colony.  You'd need to make him a new room or convert his room into a colonist bed.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

fervour

Thanks for your opinion on my suggestions!
I enjoyed Vas going into a greater depth with my ideas.

Armorat

Visitors would be a great solution to one of the pet peeves people have about story tellers...that wanders suddenly stop showing up when you reach the colony's population limit.

Also, I love the idea of having an inn. Would be great if there was some kind of colony reputation variable: if you keep arresting every traveler that passes by, they start avoiding your colony...however, if visitors keep coming by and leaving happy, your wanderer traffic increases. Same thing could apply to wandering traders as well.

hawkwing

This entire thread is good ideas. I hope we can see as many of them in the final game as possible.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

fervour

Thanks for your approval guys :)

devin25486

Quote from: fervour on February 28, 2014, 11:59:03 PM
*Firstly this isn't a suggestion that I plan to see implemented, I think it's more of an idea that I'd like to see opinions on.

I've been playing a lot of RimWorld recently.
- What I'd love to see is the way in which each person reacts with the others in the colony. (eg. Friends, Family, Lovers and Grudges.)
- Also to have a chief of the colony to take charge in some areas like trading and negotiation.
- To have travellers walk into the colony seeking accommodation for a few nights (without being arrested) and gaining a few silver coins for our hospitality <-- this can be implemented, that would be cool.
- Having traders arrive by land.
- Supply travellers that walk through with light entertainment, and drinks.
- Colonists to have personalities and desires (eg. a colonist could want to open a stone supply store, where he gathers the stone (that you've set aside) and sells to traders.)
- Colonist are able to keep their own things as memoirs, and keep them in their rooms to cheers themselves up. They can also buy things for themselves from the land traders.

Obviously a lot of what I have to say is inspired from Dwarf Fortress and it can't be implemented into the game due to it's complexity but I just wanted to share some of my ideas with the community.
I honestly think the hotel idea is excelent!!! I would like to see that. But if they had no money they could become indentured servants (Basicly they work off there bill w/ manual work) and if they like it enough they'll try to stay w/ you... I've also got some ideas for a new update if you wana check them out...  http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2607.msg24063#msg24063

Hancake

I particularly love the idea of putting up travelers overnight. So, not prisoner or colonist bed, but guest beds?

My colonists always end up completely evil. I'd probably let the guests stay the 2 (or however many) nights, take their payment, then arrest them as they try to get out of the door  >:(

devin25486

Quote from: Hancake on March 23, 2014, 03:28:03 PM
I particularly love the idea of putting up travelers overnight. So, not prisoner or colonist bed, but guest beds?

My colonists always end up completely evil. I'd probably let the guests stay the 2 (or however many) nights, take their payment, then arrest them as they try to get out of the door  >:(
I like that Idea of kidnapping them XDDD, but there should be consequences
Like, he gets angry and it takes even longer to recruit him, less passer bys, ships hear about what you've done and either 1. Raise/lower buy/sell prices or 2. Hire mercenaries (Heavily equiped raiders that are ready as soon as they touch down)

iame6162013

wait gaining silver from travelers to stay a night hmm... 'Just stay my dear friend we ain't going to arrest u afterwards Kappa'
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

gavo2o

These are some great ideas. I'd love to be able to trade with other factions.
Being able to make money from running a small motel would be a great thing too. Maybe being able to recruit visitors with non violent methods also.

Flebe

The Hotel Idea is brilliant I would love to have it because then instead of having to arrest random travelers and force them to love me just convincing them would be nice :) but penalty Maybe if the traveler belongs to a Faction or is expected at one they would be more hostile towards you, not raid you immediately but hate to a lot more, and it think this wold be great if you could have a small shop or Pub there would be limited amount of possible drinks, make a distiller and make good old fashioned colony vodka, and then the Barkeep could charge them a bit and maybe they would consider staying.

If a bar was there as well the colonists could drink there and improve happiness, or gain some Dutch courage before a fight, could be a very beneficial thing to have.

Ground traders would be a great thing because you could sell goods to them in a small shop but they could act as travelers and have a nights stay or so and may be able to be brought up on the Coms console and ask for them to come for a trade, repeated trade may give you bonuses with them especially if you let them stay the night for free, and if the liked you enough they would bring more traders to the colony and so on and so on. If they saw you as such a vital trade partner they may even come to your aid in battle, but if you lose them its bad so if they are incapacitated you should be able to heal them up in a visitor bed.

I know this is dragging on but stay with me here :').

Then when it come to the new factions that have been introduced may be you could host a party where you can invite different factions and improve your relations, or if a raid just happens to occur have some more helping hands to fight, this could improve relations with all the factions but also bring to previously Waring factions  together and no longer fight.

The Chief of the colony is also a great Idea it would really help if he could take charge of the colonists if something bad happens and make mental breaks less common instead they just go idle and calm down. he could even act as some form of Psychiatrist and bring the mood up a bunch.

and one last thing to the hotel aspect it would be great if people would just keep coming back if they were in another faction and have an option to speak to them and improve relations with hospitality making them happy about being there and perhaps just giving a small hand around the place or help defend and if they die well you can give them a proper burial or send them home to their family as a bit extra cost but improve relations or have to choice of making them a well looked after grave where the family can visit and if they want stay the night bring some more profits.

Any way sorry this dragged on ive been thinking about this stuff for weeks :') thanks for reading
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.

Jack 123

I like all of these ideas they're really cool.

Flebe

It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.