[1.5-1.0] Tech Advancing (1.9.10)

Started by GHXX, July 31, 2016, 04:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpnm92

Quote from: stigma on July 18, 2017, 12:29:48 AM
Ok I have some practical feedback after using this in my latest run.
Something fairly critical that is missing...

We really need some sort of counter of "remaining XXXTECHLEVEL projects" counter, or even better - a list or just SOMETHING to help you find remaining projects that you need to finish for a level.

Because the main problem I have is that I have to spend AGES pouring over all the research and try to find that one last research project that is required for me to advance. There is no way to see this easily. Research pal does tell you in the popup-text, but you still have to read every research option to find out - and its just a nightmare... not this mods fault pr se. but it makes it super impractical, doubly so with mods installed that add their own projects that you can't easily just wiki or whatever.

-Stigma

I recommend you to just use the second rule. If you research half of your current tech researches you move on to the next one.

I think the game is still balanced and far from op.
I like it

GHXX

We really need some sort of counter of "remaining XXXTECHLEVEL projects" counter, or even better - a list or just SOMETHING to help you find remaining projects that you need to finish for a level.

Because the main problem I have is that I have to spend AGES pouring over all the research and try to find that one last research project that is required for me to advance. There is no way to see this easily. Research pal does tell you in the popup-text, but you still have to read every research option to find out - and its just a nightmare... not this mods fault pr se. but it makes it super impractical, doubly so with mods installed that add their own projects that you can't easily just wiki or whatever.

-Stigma

I don't want to tinker with the researchpal research tree because then it wont look as nice. One possible thing would be that the researchpal author gives different colors to the borders of the research nodes. One color per level. as for vanilla: It's not that hard to find a missing research in my opinion because usually their level increases with the requirements.

Quote from: jpnm92 on July 18, 2017, 05:20:37 PM
First of all. Daddy I love you.

Second of all, is there a way i can make it so the second rule is the default one?
A small change i would like to make so i don't have to edit the config every time i start a new game.

If you could do that you would be my 3rd favorite streamer ever, I also would send pasta to that kid in Sweden and did you know that talon is responsible for 25% of first bloods?

I have no idea what you mean with one rule being the default one. Both rules are active. You can kinda disable them by setting that config variable to -99 or something.

GHXX

Quote from: jpnm92 on July 18, 2017, 05:29:24 PM

-Stigma

I recommend you to just use the second rule. If you research half of your current tech researches you move on to the next one.

I think the game is still balanced and far from op.
I like it

The answer to the question "Is research good as it is now in vanilla?" really depends on whos playing it and what faction they play as (tribe vs. colony) My opinion is that research is taking too long as tribal, especially when installing a load of mods, but once again, thats just how i feel about it. Thats why this mod exists  :P

moonra

For some reason the mod is not recognizing my non-tribal pawns, I started as a tribe so I enabled the "can't get past medieval without a non-tribal pawn", but even though I have multiple non-tribals [from various sources, even, pirates, escape podders, etc] if I enable that rule I get my tech stuck on medieval.

GHXX

Quote from: moonra on July 21, 2017, 06:48:05 PM
For some reason the mod is not recognizing my non-tribal pawns, I started as a tribe so I enabled the "can't get past medieval without a non-tribal pawn", but even though I have multiple non-tribals [from various sources, even, pirates, escape podders, etc] if I enable that rule I get my tech stuck on medieval.

Interesting, it worked when I tested it in vanilla. Maybe some mods are causing issues. Could you post your modlist, please?

GHXX

Update!(for developers)
You can now make Tech Advancing skip certain researches by adding the tag "ta-ignore" into the taglist of a research. (You can find an example in the developer section of the original post)
Players should still update so that this feature becomes available to the other modders. Thanks!

moonra

Quote from: GHXX on July 24, 2017, 11:36:52 AM
Quote from: moonra on July 21, 2017, 06:48:05 PM

Interesting, it worked when I tested it in vanilla. Maybe some mods are causing issues. Could you post your modlist, please?

Argh, my bad, for some reason the forum didn't show this as a reply, or I'm totally blind and missed it. Anyway, I've attached it 'cause there doesn't seem to be a way to hide text under a button [like spoiler tags] in this forum.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

GHXX

Okay, good news. I found the issue and a fix is going to be deployed tomorrow (waiting on some translations to do it all in one).

EDIT: Since some things are broken right now and since I ought do to a rewrite anyways I will fix that in the rewritten version. Can't give an ETA for that one. Sorry!

GHXX

Due to lack of time and interest I decided that it might be best to have someone else become the developer for this mod.

Requirements are pretty good C# knowledge since the mod is mostly written in that language.

If you think you are up for it and you want to continue this mod, let me know on Discord (thats faster than the forum) or send me a Forum PM.

You will most likely get an answer within a week to give everyone time to read this and decide if they want to do it.

GHXX

Thanks to Skullywag the source code is now available at GitHub. Feel free to collaborate / post issues / etc.

https://github.com/RimWorldMod/Tech-Advancing

just_a_random

One little doubt, how does this mod interact with reapetable researches? like the succesful cults ressearch from rim of madnes cults mod

GHXX

Quote from: just_a_random on August 27, 2017, 07:18:01 AM
One little doubt, how does this mod interact with reapetable researches? like the succesful cults ressearch from rim of madnes cults mod

every project that got the ignore tag (see below) is ignored by my mod. The repeatable researches from the Call-of-Cthulhu---Cults mod already got the tags implemented from what i can see on github. So they should be ignored. If they arent then contact the Author of that specific mod.

CEPMatos

I could translate this mod for you to Brazilian Portuguese, but I don't know how to actually edit the files and such. If you're up to help me out with that, contact me.

Barik Morloc

Hi this mod looks intresting but I am sort of confused on what it actually does... With your tech level going higher what does that mean? Does this scale the enemies to have the same tech level as you?

IAMEPSIL0N

Quote from: Barik Morloc on October 04, 2017, 10:37:38 PM
Hi this mod looks intresting but I am sort of confused on what it actually does... With your tech level going higher what does that mean? Does this scale the enemies to have the same tech level as you?

In the basegame your faction's tech level effects a multiplier of how long it takes to research something based on the project's tech level, normally you just end up with high tech researches taking forever but with this mod your own tech level goes up and the penalty is removed if you have done enough research at the previous tech level.