RimWorld Nexus

Started by Dark0ne, March 03, 2014, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark0ne

Update: Ok folks, the site is now live.

----------------------------------------------------------

Original message

Hi folks,

My name is Robin and I run NexusMods.com. Hopefully you've heard of us or perhaps even used the site before, but just in case you haven't, we're a thriving modding community of close to 7 million members and over 38,000 mod authors for a multitude of different games. We've been up and running for 12 years now and completely free of any investors or outside interests, relying solely on the community for support.

RimWorld was brought to my attention only a few days ago when one of the users at the Nexus added the game to our database and uploaded a mod (which he hasn't published yet). I downloaded the game early this afternoon and have since played it for 6 hours straight. My eyes have gone wonky and when I saw it was 8.30pm by the time I quit playing I kind of lost my bearings a little bit. Needless to say I've enjoyed the game thus far, and now I'm cooking dinner.

I've started this topic to see if the mod authors of this game would be interested in uploading their mods for RimWorld to Nexus Mods and, if there's an interest, I can commit to getting RimWorld integrated in to our Nexus Mod Manager very quickly. NMM is completely open source and has so far been used by over 3 million of our members, and best of all, it will work with mods you download from any site, so it's not like you need to use the Nexus in order for NMM to work. It allows for one-click downloading and installating of mods from the site, or you can drag-and-drop downloaded mods from your desktop straight in to NMM and easily install and uninstall any mods from your game without fiddling around in your file system.

The aim isn't to drag you or these forums in to any sort of exclusivity with the Nexus or pull members away, the aim is to compliment the setup here and provide a proven decent index for RimWorld mods that is very easy to browse and maintain. You can still use one or more other sites to host your work and most definitely still post your release threads and use the forums as usual here, in fact, I outright encourage it. Modding is all about open choices, and that's true of mod hosting as well.

If you're interested in getting your mod up on the Nexus as soon as possible then it's as easy as using our upload wizard. At the first step, select RimWorld from the game-drop down and everything is explained to you step-by-step. I haven't launched the site for the game yet because (1) there aren't any published mods for it yet and (2) I'm unsure whether the community wants or needs a Nexus site for the game (hence this post!). I can launch a site as soon as there's a mod published for the game.

Alternatively, if you are open to your mods being hosted on the Nexus but do not want to take the time to upload the mods yourself just yet then please, by all means, leave a note here and I can do this for you. You'll retain all credit and rights to your work and you can take over the file page on the Nexus at any time (or ask me to remove it), you'll just need to drop me a message with your username in so I can do the transfer.

I sent a quick message to Tynan over the weekend to ask his permission to make this post and he gave the all clear. I didn't want to step on any toes.

If you have any questions then please, fire away!

AcDie

I like nexusmods, especially for Skyrim, F3, Statbound, Witcher 2 & X Rebirth

Rokiyo

Ooh, me likey. Big fan of Nexus Mods here.

I've got to go to work for now, but I'll see about uploading my mods when I get back.

daft73

I've spent alot of time at nexus...good stuff indeed. ;D

Kilroy232

I will only download Fallout 3 and new vegas mods if they came from nexus  :P

Evelyn

Very interesting! Installing Rimworld mods is already pretty convenient, but this will make it even more so.

Viriatha

As a player, I was hoping for a mod manager soon :) This means more mods downloaded just 'cause, since I won't have to screw with folders or anything and can just click ^^ (Yes, users are lazy lol)

Architect

I'd be fully in support of this :D I really don't have the time to upload and sort out my mods for it though, I'm struggling to keep them altogether atm anyway. If it goes ahead and you want to put any of my mods up, they're in my description. I update them with new textures and balancing tweaks every few days, so you can be assured of their quality.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

AcDie

Quote from: Viriatha on March 04, 2014, 04:07:50 AM
I won't have to screw with folders or anything and can just click ^^ (Yes, users are lazy lol)
But after don't cry if something goes wrong, I'm talk about version compatibility ofc...

Dark0ne

Hi guys, thanks for your votes of confidence!

QuoteI'd be fully in support of this :D I really don't have the time to upload and sort out my mods for it though, I'm struggling to keep them altogether atm anyway. If it goes ahead and you want to put any of my mods up, they're in my description. I update them with new textures and balancing tweaks every few days, so you can be assured of their quality.

I'll get right on that and they can form the first few mods that the site launches with. If you want to, all you need to do is send me a PM here or on the Nexus and I can transfer the ownership of the file pages to your account (which gives you control over them). Thanks for your permission :)

Evul

Nice! I like the nexus modpage and system! :)
It simplify stuff! :D

DarkXess

Quote from: Dark0ne on March 03, 2014, 04:13:59 PM
RimWorld was brought to my attention only a few days ago when one of the users at the Nexus added the game to our database and uploaded a mod (which he hasn't published yet). I downloaded the game early this afternoon and have since played it for 6 hours straight. My eyes have gone wonky and when I saw it was 8.30pm by the time I quit playing I kind of lost my bearings a little bit. Needless to say I've enjoyed the game thus far, and now I'm cooking dinner.

... LoL

hawkwing

Hah, I think that might have been me, actually, if there was only one such person. I got about half of the way through the wizard process before getting interrupted and I've been busy with midterm exams since. I'll probably finish up the submission over on your site tonight, though it is a rather basic mod. Little more than a config edit, at the moment, but one that had frustrated me since I started playing.

I suppose that's how most mods begin though.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

daft73

Quote from: AcDie on March 04, 2014, 04:27:32 AM
I won't have to screw with folders or anything and can just click ^^ (Yes, users are lazy lol)
But after don't cry if something goes wrong, I'm talk about version compatibility ofc...
Well hopefully the Mod Devs will update it and such(ie.. compatibility, version made for ect...) ...such is normal procedure. Also as the game matures this should become less of a problem

Viriatha

Quote from: daft73 on March 05, 2014, 05:31:10 PM
Quote from: AcDie on March 04, 2014, 04:27:32 AM
Well hopefully the Mod Devs will update it and such(ie.. compatibility, version made for ect...) ...such is normal procedure. Also as the game matures this should become less of a problem
Besides, I always cry in private.