Alpha 15 unstable branch testing feedback

Started by Tynan, August 17, 2016, 03:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheeseGromit

Quote from: MikeLemmer on August 21, 2016, 09:39:56 PM
...Wait, you need to refrigerate beer while it's fermenting? I set up mine in my kitchen and it seemed to be fine.

You don't need to refrigerate it but there is a temperature which results in 'spoiled by high temperature' for you fermentation barrels. It seems to be about 30°C from crude testing. It would be nice if this was stated in the information tab for the fermentation barrels.

Edit: there's also a 'spoilt by freezing' and an 'non-ideal temperature' that prolongs fermentation, somewhere around 0-7°C.

Tynan

Quote from: CheeseGromit on August 22, 2016, 01:41:59 AM
Quote from: MikeLemmer on August 21, 2016, 09:39:56 PM
...Wait, you need to refrigerate beer while it's fermenting? I set up mine in my kitchen and it seemed to be fine.

You don't need to refrigerate it but there is a temperature which results in 'spoiled by high temperature' for you fermentation barrels. It seems to be about 30°C from crude testing. It would be nice if this was stated in the information tab for the fermentation barrels.

Good thought.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ReZpawner

Another bug: http://imgur.com/a/pyHqE

In the last two games I have started, I have had one faction that I cannot do anything with. They are -77, but still considered neutral. I have no options other than to disconnect, and they never visit. Playing on a super-cold map, if that makes any difference.

Tynan

Quote from: ReZpawner on August 22, 2016, 02:19:07 AM

In the last two games I have started, I have had one faction that I cannot do anything with. They are -77, but still considered neutral. I have no options other than to disconnect, and they never visit. Playing on a super-cold map, if that makes any difference.

Looks buggy, could you post a save game?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ReZpawner

Quote from: Tynan on August 22, 2016, 02:23:51 AM
Quote from: ReZpawner on August 22, 2016, 02:19:07 AM

Looks buggy, could you post a save game?

Very odd. I tried a few more times, so I wouldn't have to send you a huge save-file - all of those seem to be functioning perfectly, with the numbers randomised as is normal. I guess I just managed to get very (un)lucky and get the same -77 two times in a row. Couldn't recreate the bug, and I already used dev-mode to get them hostile on the main save. Weird though, that they were that low, and still not hostile.  Wish I could provide more details.

MikeLemmer

Another entry in the videos: https://www.twitch.tv/mikelemmer/v/85019704

Several things of note here:

• My base is tucked away in the NE corner of the map. Raiders attacked me from the SW. When the survivors fled, they fled to the North... right into my guns.
  • Two colonists become a couple on the battlefield.
  • The audio glitches out and the game goes completely silent, aside from occasional popping whenever I do something. This happened once to me before, but this is the first time I caught it on video; last time it was after a 4-hour marathon session. I fix it by restarting the game.

All of this happens around the 1:08:30 mark.

ReZpawner

Quote from: MikeLemmer on August 22, 2016, 03:27:11 AM
Another entry in the videos: https://www.twitch.tv/mikelemmer/v/85019704

Several things of note here:

• My base is tucked away in the NE corner of the map. Raiders attacked me from the SW. When the survivors fled, they fled to the North... right into my guns.
  • Two colonists become a couple on the battlefield.
  • The audio glitches out and the game goes completely silent, aside from occasional popping whenever I do something. This happened once to me before, but this is the first time I caught it on video; last time it was after a 4-hour marathon session. I fix it by restarting the game.

All of this happens around the 1:08:30 mark.

I've had that audio issue too in, in previous versions of the game. Pretty sure it's been there for a while, but like you said, it's during marathon sessions, and it's not a common occurrence.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: ReZpawner on August 22, 2016, 04:22:30 AMI've had that audio issue too in, in previous versions of the game. Pretty sure it's been there for a while, but like you said, it's during marathon sessions, and it's not a common occurrence.

This one happened after just an hour of play, though. Hardly a marathon.

ReZpawner

It's pretty random when it happens to me. It's only happened once since I got it on Steam though. 1 time in 157 hours isn't terrible.

BlackSmokeDMax

Not sure the tutor really makes clear how to differentiate the things that can deteriorate outside or not. Seems like every youtuber who is new to the game fills their freezer full of steel, components, rock blocks, all kinds of things that could easily be outside.

Perhaps some sort of tag in the item's basic info pane (meaning before hitting the 'i' for extra detailed info) that states whether or not something can deteriorate. That really doesn't sound perfect, maybe just directions to look for the deteriorate stat in the info details?

edit: OH, and something that lets players know that apparel quality does not matter to the pawns like the hit points do. A lot players seem to see apparel debuffs and then look at the pawns wearing something awful, and assume that is the problem. Even though that item may by 80 or 90% of HP still, while they have some excellent item at 12% that is the real problem.

And to expound on the quality rating, perhaps something to show the scale order (awful, shoddy, poor, etc.)

MikeLemmer

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on August 22, 2016, 04:48:21 AM
Not sure the tutor really makes clear how to differentiate the things that can deteriorate outside or not. Seems like every youtuber who is new to the game fills their freezer full of steel, components, rock blocks, all kinds of things that could easily be outside.

Perhaps some sort of tag in the item's basic info pane (meaning before hitting the 'i' for extra detailed info) that states whether or not something can deteriorate. That really doesn't sound perfect, maybe just directions to look for the deteriorate stat in the info details?

I figured that out pretty quickly: anything with Hit Points (except for structure & furniture) deteriorates outside. To be safe, nearly all your stockpiles should be under a roof. The more obscure thing is what stuff needs to be refrigerated, but that's easily figured out by looking at the "Stays fresh for X days" tooltip.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: MikeLemmer on August 22, 2016, 04:51:56 AM
Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on August 22, 2016, 04:48:21 AM

I figured that out pretty quickly: anything with Hit Points (except for structure & furniture) deteriorates outside. To be safe, nearly all your stockpiles should be under a roof. The more obscure thing is what stuff needs to be refrigerated, but that's easily figured out by looking at the "Stays fresh for X days" tooltip.

Not exactly true. Components have HP and don't deteriorate, same with leathers. May be others as well.

Agreed with the refrigerated items though.

ShadowTani

Quote from: Tynan on August 21, 2016, 10:16:24 PM
Refactor drug policies:
Every drug gets a record.
The left is a group of radio buttons for "usage" with these options: Deny, Joy only, Addict use, Scheduled
If scheduled is active, the current controls appear.
JoyGiver_SocialRelax: Generalize it to use any kind of 'joy use' allowed drug.

I hope that "usage" means you're sticking to your gun about chem interests and addicts being able to grab drugs as desired? That new layer of concern in regards to cleaning up the battlefield and getting stuff locked up before one of my more drug fascinated colonists start to dig through the corpses for loot is what made the system interesting and actually having an impact on the gameplay - even if you don't run a drug operation.

For those who want more control I much rather see a keycard door feature enabling more restricted areas instead of limiting the pawn behavior (where only colonists that you let pick up the keycards you produced being able to open those specific locked doors). That way these players won't need to lock and unlock doors manually all the time.

Edixo

Hey Tynan. Thanks for making a game that have captured me completely. I absolutely love it.

You requested saves for capturing the release video. I've made a dusty little prairie town with a decent yoya and cannabis operation.

Take a look:
http://i.imgur.com/elbEIUD.jpg
https://mega.nz/#!7BgDHDQC

Edit: For the love of God, keep Vere away from the products.
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

jhrrsn

(Apologies if I'm double-posting, but I couldn't find this when I searched.)

Just starting out my first A15 colony on the unstable branch. First thing I've noticed is that 'Teetotaler' pawns can have one, or even multiple, dependencies and/or addictions. I appreciate that cognitive dissonance is a very real psychological process (!), but it seems like there should be a very low likelihood of this happening. Perhaps there is, and I've just had some strange RNG!

(Cheers for continuing to support & develop such an awesome game!)