animal overpopulation

Started by Morden, March 09, 2014, 10:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morden

So after 364 days in my colony, i got so many animals on the map, that there is no more grass, only cactus, apart from where i protected my fields with walls. Fun thing, i don't need to hunt anymore since a lot of them die of starvation regularly. Muffalo were extinct like 3 times, but popped back after some time. Only bad things are that boomrat are exploding randomly around, and if a cargo crash, there is a big rush toward the food, that don't last more than a few minutes.

I don't know what to think about that, maybe add some natural predator or something to regulate the population, or just a limit of how many living animal of each species can be at the same time.

Or else. I would like to know about my other fellow colonists.

Plasmatic

I think this will solve itself in alpha 3 as hunting is a job you can set then..

firs thing I'm going to do is kill ALL of the boomrats and make them top priority to exterminate.

Alandil

Quote from: Morden on March 09, 2014, 10:54:44 AM
Fun thing, i don't need to hunt anymore since a lot of them die of starvation regularly.

Seems like the is already some regulation in place ;)

OnyxShadow

LOL. I hate boomrats so much. When I get those events where every one of them on the map goes hostile I get half a dozen of my colonists incapacitated, everything set on fire, and several of my buildings destroyed. What a menace!  :o

Darker

Actually... I always used to kill animals for fun, so they never got over-populated.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Serrate Bloodrage

I want to milk boomrats for their explosive..nes.

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

Jones-250

Quote from: Plasmatic on March 09, 2014, 11:24:44 AM
---kill ALL of the boomrats and make them top priority to exterminate.
Darn right. Purge the fields of their putrescence.
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Benny the Icepick

Quote from: Serrate Bloodrage on March 10, 2014, 06:54:45 AM
I want to milk boomrats for their explosive..nes.
Where do you think your infinite supply of molotov cocktails comes from?

Darker

Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Ender

Quote from: Darker on March 11, 2014, 02:24:15 PM
I love the smell of dead boom-rat in the morning. Smells like... victory.

I second that, and ya boomrats are a terrible menace and at one point i had a colony die from all the boomrats going crazy, the door to the compound didn't close fast enough and it let two boomrats  in, that was the beginning of the end for that budding colony, as soon after the door had exploded and all was lost.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

UrbanBourbon

Oh my G... So, to cause everlasting animal starvation, one could... one could fill the whole desert with concrete. No more grass = no more food for animals = no more animals. It'd be automated meat production, since animals do spawn, but they would die off due to starvation. Holy sh... But maybe I should just barricade my settlement inside the mountain, behind a 20-block wide layer of stone wall. Potato diet FTW?

HEY OP. What difficulty are you playing on? Are you using any mods?

OnyxShadow

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on March 12, 2014, 05:20:06 PM
Oh my G... So, to cause everlasting animal starvation, one could... one could fill the whole desert with concrete. No more grass = no more food for animals = no more animals. It'd be automated meat production, since animals do spawn, but they would die off due to starvation. Holy sh... But maybe I should just barricade my settlement inside the mountain, behind a 20-block wide layer of stone wall. Potato diet FTW?

You are mistaken. The squirrels would not starve for long. They would eat the corpses of their fallen comrades and absorb their power until after only a few generations your colony would be overrun by mutant rabid giant squirrels of doom.

killerx243

Quote from: OnyxShadow on March 12, 2014, 05:42:41 PM
Quote from: UrbanBourbon on March 12, 2014, 05:20:06 PM

You are mistaken. The squirrels would not starve for long. They would eat the corpses of their fallen comrades and absorb their power until after only a few generations your colony would be overrun by mutant rabid giant squirrels of doom.

This needs to be a thing!

Thunder Rahja

That or predator animal species.

UrbanBourbon

Never mind. I had forgotten that there are severe performance problems related to the animals trying to get to the food that's in an inaccessible area, such as your food storage. Sigh.
EDIT: Never mind, again. My performance problems were related to my colony being walled off, not the animals... I think.