game-breaking update (v15) - not cool, rimworld developers

Started by pawn_of_destiny, August 28, 2016, 04:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zandadoum

How about "it's an alpha, don't build hugeass colonies and get emotionally attached to them, because next update WILL break the savegame"

There, fixed it for you. Take this words like gospel and you'll be fine.

kanid99

Quote from: warden on August 29, 2016, 12:43:24 AM
Happened here too, saved my game last night thinking i'd built the most functional colony so far. Which won't work today, because even if i go back to A14 on Steam, my mods have already been updated. Sure, there may be a way to get it all back, but it's a much bigger hassle than to simply restart the game once all mods i want are updated to A15.

This isn't the developer's fault, this lies solely on Steam.

Here too - then I went and saw a posting (by the developer) on how to use the A14-Beta Path, and read another article about how to replace any mods as they are updated with the (hopefully still available) A14 versions. Im back up and running and playing.

No need to stress. Game is Alpha, gonna be some work to play sometimes.

Pillow Fort

PSA 8):

• steam -> rimworld -> properties -> updates -> only update when i launch it
  • steam -> games -> add non steam game to my library
  • browse->rimworldwin.exe
  • use new shortcut to play rimworld instead.
  • get mods from the forums. more ocntrol over the version you are getting, and they usually come out here first anyway.

just something i learned while modding fallout 4

Foxgguy2001

• Purchases and plays game in Alpha
  • Under heavy development, rapidly changing
  • Incensed when the game, in alpha, under heavy development, and rapidly changing affects *his* savegame
Dev's, though, aren't cool.  Could you guys just slow it down, maybe not do your dev thing a while....
MRW:

Acruid

Quote from: Tynan on August 28, 2016, 07:45:34 PM
Unfortunately I can't email you ahead of time since I don't know your email.

Is Tynan able to send a announcement to everyone's email that registered on the forum? We have the option to disable getting them under the Notification section of our profiles. He could even mirror the dev blog posts as a newsletter or something.

Zoppa

I can't say anything about the mods as I play vanilla, but that said: I had a similar experience.

The first v15 can out and I got the famous notice about "things might break". I though something like 'meh, how bad can it be?' and just started the game and load my v14 savegame. ^^ bäM: no UI, alarm sounds and I couldn't do anything...had to kill the process in task manager o.O

I reverted the version back to v14 in steam > Rimworld properties > Betas (see screenshot). No automatic updates since then and the savegame could be load and played without a hickup.

This is different from the "don't upgrade" option, however I have used that before too, without problems either...

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Topper

The best plan is not to use the steam version. Though I would suggest asking the dev to integrate some of the more popular mods so there isnt as much breakage and delay between version.

zandadoum

The best plan is to not get emotionally attached to your colony and make new colonies when a new alpha comes out to TEST the new features.

Coz that's why you bought an early access alpha game, to HELP TESTING.

JonoRig

Asking the developer to integrate those mods into the main game just so they don't get broken every update would increase the workload on a feature he may not want to add every update. Not to mention, some modders may not want their work taken away from them (I'm sure many would be happy, I remember a few things being integrated over the alpha's, but not everyone is the same).

How many other developers integrate mods into their main game just so they don't inconvenience mod users, especially in a game that is only Alpha. You paid to join the early access of the game, in the spirit that the game will get frequent updates. If you don't like that, why did you buy it? Why didn't you just wait for the full release, or buy it on the website and just stick to one Alpha.

If you expect the developers to make drastic developments on an ALPHA build of a game, then you are really tying and limiting their hands. You choose to play mods by your own choice, just because the game is designed around letting them be added, doesn't mean you are being told you have to have them.

And, as much as I love this game, and generally don't agree with early access titles, it's just utterly baffling to me that people complain when the dev doesn't update the game every week, doesn't add significant features everyday, and then when they do, they get mad because their saves or mods aren't compatible. It happened on KSP, it happens here, on every Alpha and early access game you just see people whine and complain about everything.

You don't need to be thankful or grateful for everything Tynan (except basic manners, you are a customer, not a friend) does because he is doing his job, he is creating his art that he wants to share with you (for a price), and equally, you agreed by purchasing that product to any changes that happen to the game. Maybe a future lesson for you is, don't buy early access.

defensestar

Quote from: PotatoeTater on August 28, 2016, 05:49:22 PM
You know, before accusing people of not letting you know an update was coming, maybe you should read the devblog. Notice was given that an update was coming, as well as an email so you could turn your auto updates off for the game. You can also redownload all the old alpha 14 versions of the mods off the forums and manually places them back into the game yourself. It's not that hard to do and for all of us that have been playing since the beginning, it is how we have always had to do it.
Since you are playing on steam, there was also a post on steam about the unstable branch and shit which would have warned like you wanted that ur games were gonna break.

mcgnarman

Uh, steam auto updates every game in your library unless you tell it not to? 

I also assume this is your first post here, but tynan is pretty vocal about turning off auto updates if you want our saves to continue through. I feel like we get good enough notice... The games in Alpha, it's gonna get lots and lots of updates. Most of them game breaking.

Hell, even that could be part of the rim-universe. Your colony didn't get destroyed by a raid, but a random hot fix!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CannibarRechter

> Uh, steam auto updates every game in your library unless you tell it not to? 

The newer steam does not allow you to disable updates.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

skullywag

The fact that almost all of the active modders said this would happen as well lends weight to the "we had time" argument.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

CannibarRechter

I'm not sure why this thread lives on. Tynan put an A14 release onto Steam. There's nothing he can do about the automatic update, although as a developer, he should complain about that. Developers should make the final decision on the automatic nature of an update, not Steam. The only other issue is the SteamWorkshop automatic update of mods. Solution is, don't use those mods via Steam installation.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects