"Beavers!"

Started by Franklin, September 05, 2016, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrButters

Just lost my second colony to beavers, or more precisely, complacency.

Just like some of the others, I saw the beavers show up and instantly thought about the food and leather aspect of it. 

Sent my two best at firearms to take them down, but it was too early as the beavers were all grouped together.  Instantly they all attacked, and both hunters went down before I could get others into the fight.  Demetri's husband was killed right off, while my main character lay injured.  All of the beavers were eventually taken out, but after losing one of the six colonists, all others except for one eventually died from a lack of proper medical care shortly after.

I was playing on an easier setting, under Rob's storyline.  Immediately after losing the colonists, I had two dropped in, with a third that requested rescue.  Needless to say, Rob made the story interesting by giving me completely worthless colonists to replace the others, but I decided to finally call it quits to try another biome out.  I have to admit too that I had a good laugh out of all of it.

In the end it wasn't the toxic fallout, volcanic winter, dry thunderstorms, heatwaves, or raiders that took down my colony, but rather complacency in dealing with something that shouldn't have gone so horribly wrong.       

Shurp

Quote from: Britnoth on September 12, 2016, 08:55:19 AM
Are you all hunting with the pistol or something?!!

Is manhunter chance determined per *hit*?  This might explain the trouble people are having.  My colonists all walk around with survival rifles for the high damage value.  Two or three hits and a beaver is dead without much of a chance to go Manhunter.  But someone plinking away with a pistol might enrage the pack before killing them...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Britnoth

// Verse.AI.Pawn_MindState
public void Notify_DamageTaken(DamageInfo dinfo)
{
if (dinfo.Def.externalViolence)
{
this.lastHarmTick = Find.TickManager.TicksGame;
Pawn pawn = dinfo.Instigator as Pawn;
if (!this.mentalStateHandler.InMentalState && dinfo.Instigator != null && (pawn != null || dinfo.Instigator is Building_Turret) && dinfo.Instigator.Faction != null && (dinfo.Instigator.Faction.def.humanlikeFaction || (pawn != null && pawn.def.race.intelligence >= Intelligence.ToolUser)) && this.pawn.Faction == null && (this.pawn.CurJob == null || this.pawn.CurJob.def != JobDefOf.PredatorHunt) && Rand.Value < this.pawn.RaceProps.manhunterOnDamageChance)
{
this.StartManhunterBecauseOfPawnAction("AnimalManhunterFromDamage");
}
if (this.pawn.GetPosture() != PawnPosture.Standing)
{
this.lastDisturbanceTick = Find.TickManager.TicksGame;
}
}
}

This is my current understanding. I don't see any obvious check to limit the manhunter response to the first hit only, or a time limit of any kind.

Go try hunting with a minigun and see if its more likely?  :P

PS. This is why I rate the shotgun as the best hunting weapon when you lack a great shooter...

OFWG

Is the alphabeavers going manhunter a new addition? In A14 I literally never saw it happen, to the point that as soon as they showed up I set them all to be hunted and forgot about it. Haven't seen as many of them in 15.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Wintersdark

I do think the manhunter chance is way higher in A15 than it was in A14. 

I very rarely experienced it in A14, but now?  I've had beavers go manhunter multiple times in a single group.  I've had a colony destroyed by deer (sweet jesus those stags are fast and can utterly wreck an unarmored colonist), and have gotten REALLY gunshy of beavers, which I always previously interpreted as a positive event, not a negative one.

But yeah, I actually prefer shotguns for most hunting now (until you can get sniper rifles at least) because you miss a LOT, then just wreck them when you finally hit.  Misses don't trigger Manhunter.

On the other hand, Pistols are terrible for hunting, because you're close, get lots of hits that do comparably little damage so there's lots of chances to go Manhunter.

Sanaart

I'm reading all your stories and man you guys are so unlucky... I've had the pack aggro on me once, and I just ran to my base back to where all my turrets are...

delor

Never had any trouble with beavers, myself, but it's still my most hated event.

It just happens so frequently, and when it does because the hunting AI is so dumb I've got go out and micro killing each of them one-by-one to stop the tree blight.  Frequently having to walk all the way across the map to do it, too.

The first time it happened, it was cute.  The fourth and fifth times it happened I was ready to just stop playing the campaign.  It was never challenging or threatening, just extremely tedious.

Hunting AI ought to be fixed to have it close to a distance that offers reasonable accuracy, if nothing else.  A prioritization system that let you say "prioritize all of these similar tasks" would also be a big improvement, so that I could just say "kill beavers and keep killing until they're all gone before you do anything else."  (both of these, of course, help way more than just the beavers event)