difference: stockpile zones vs. dumping zones

Started by 14m1337, September 12, 2016, 10:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14m1337

yeah, right ... no day will pass without me wondering about something ...
today it's the difference between stockpile and dumping zones.

until today I simply accepted that there are both of them. but as long as you use the same settings, it seems you can exchange them without problems. you can even copy the settings from one to another. so why are there two different zone types ?

what really would have made some sense would have been an alternate handling regarding the stockpile count for crafting. for example: I like to have a stockpile of five t-shirts. so I use "craft until X" option at the tailoring bench. additionally, my pawns should take off their shirts after reaching 49% durability. they should drop 'em to my orbital trading zone, so I can sell them when the next ship arrives. but lying there, the shirts still count as "available", and so my tailors won't sew a new one. now I tried to use a dumping zone at my trade beacon, instead of a stockpile zone - expecting the low-dura shirts not to be taken into account. but it didn't make a difference.

now, my next thought was that one of these two zone types is simply a relic of a previous game version, and was just "forgotten". but that makes far less sense.

what's YOUR experience with these two zone types ? is there really a difference ? what is it ? I'd be happy if someone would let me know.
in the case of "no difference between stockpile and dumping zones": @Tynan did you ever think of implementing the behaviour as described above ?
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Serenity

The only difference is the default settings of what they store. Otherwise they are the same. Dumping zone means for example stone chunks, steel chunks or corpses. But you can change that. And should. You don't want corpses stored with your stone chunks.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Serenity on September 12, 2016, 10:13:14 PM
The only difference is the default settings of what they store. Otherwise they are the same. Dumping zone means for example stone chunks, steel chunks or corpses. But you can change that. And should. You don't want corpses stored with your stone chunks.

What he said, just convinience for the setup .. maybe Tynan has planned more for them but did not come around to do it .. I don't know.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

14m1337

so no one of those who read this post (and eventually answered) knows "more"...
a short informational post from Tynan would be really great !

am I really the first one who asks questions about this ?  ;D
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Serenity

Convenience first maybe. He might have planned something more originally and went into a different direction. Some UI elements in this game aren't that well though out.

I think the convenience helps already. I suppose it could be a setting in the stockpile dialogue (like the priority setting) and you don't need to completely "different" zones, but I like that there you can quickly make stockpile for junk. It's only after a bit in the game that I fine tune what gets stored where.

sadpickle

grandad1982

I think your over thinking this is just a stockpile with different default settings, it's most likely so that at the start people can just slap down 2 zones and cover their needs. Nothing more nothing less.

buttflexspireling

Well, in Rimworld there seems to be a entity called the
United Confederation of Stockpile Zones. Dumping zones
are simply those zones that secede from the union with or
without help from an agency. You can think of it like the
American Civil War with various people wanting to lay claim
to resources.

zandadoum

@OP I just burn all apparel worse than what my colonists wear (they wear 61% and above)

Because I CBA with all the clicking on the trade screen for stuff that is worth less than peanuts.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: sadpickle on September 13, 2016, 04:59:17 PM
Because Dwarf Fortress has dumping zones.

But those are not stockpiles.
The stockpiles in DF actually work the same as in Rimworld. You have several named stockpiles you can place and then you can config the hell out of them, until they are something completely different.

The dumping zone only works with two z-levels
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.