Sectors!

Started by Quasarrgames, March 19, 2014, 04:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

I don't know about anyone else, but having only a 200m x 200m space to build a prospering colony seems a little small to me. I think that the game should give you more room to expand and explore. maybe to go on expeditions or find ruins or other colonies or something! but with the current land sizes, and the fact that expanding them lead to MASSIVE performance issues, might i suggest something else:

Sectors!

Maybe the world could be cut into little square chunks the size of the normal playing area, or maybe even smaller. People could travel across the borders to different sectors, but a sector would only register if you were playing in it. Sectors could start out as unknown, and you would have to send a person to explore them. perhaps they could find old ruins, or crashed spaceships, or entire colonies that belonged to other factions.

in my opinion, this would open the doors to many different things, like scouts, vehicles, other factions to negotiate with, taking over bases, and other stuff that you can probably think of but i cant!

I don't know if this idea makes sense, but i think it would be really cool! :)
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Plasmatic

Quote from: Quasarrgames on March 19, 2014, 04:10:17 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but having only a 200m x 200m space to build a prospering colony seems a little small to me. I think that the game should give you more room to expand and explore. maybe to go on expeditions or find ruins or other colonies or something! but with the current land sizes, and the fact that expanding them lead to MASSIVE performance issues, might i suggest something else:

Sectors!

Maybe the world could be cut into little square chunks the size of the normal playing area, or maybe even smaller. People could travel across the borders to different sectors, but a sector would only register if you were playing in it. Sectors could start out as unknown, and you would have to send a person to explore them. perhaps they could find old ruins, or crashed spaceships, or entire colonies that belonged to other factions.

in my opinion, this would open the doors to many different things, like scouts, vehicles, other factions to negotiate with, taking over bases, and other stuff that you can probably think of but i cant!

I don't think that fits with the theme of the game, after all, you are crashing onto a completely uninhabited world (assume it has been explored, but nothing aside from plant and wild life was found)

But, Personally I think it would add to the game, perhaps you find a hostile colony in another sector? maybe they send raiding parties your way? maybe you can do the same? steal some resources? lay siege to their base?

It opens many options.. but I dont think it fits with the core game story, sadly.

Monkfish

On that note, I've just had a silly awesome idea;

"Everyone is dead or gone. The story is over. Perhaps someone else will find a use for the ruins of this place."

Imagine exploring a new sector and discovering the ruins of a fallen colony that another player created, left in the state it fell in. I can adequately describe, using just two words, how utterly awesome it would be for that to happen and how much I want it;

Fuck. Yes.

I imagine it would be a tad on the tricky side to implement, but I think the rewards would be fantastic. Here's my take on it...

- When a colony falls, there's a very low chance (like 0.1% or something to prevent silly numbers) that the colony would be 'saved' to a cloud.
- When this occurs, a calculation is made on the damage caused by allowing the fires to burn for another hour or so (game time), after which they're extinguished.
- Any food remaining would be spoiled and corpses would be set to random states of rotten.
- If batteries have charge, they would be discharged.
- Electrical conduits would be removed/damaged beyond use randomly ("Damn Boomrats and Squirrels eating the cables")
- Solar panels would not work and require cleaning (covered in dust)
- Geothermal generators would be off (broken down due to lack of maintenance)
- Powering stuff up may result in random explosions (shorts in wiring/equipment)
- When exploring new 'Sectors', there's a random chance that you'll happen upon a fallen colony, randomly selected from one of the cloud saved colonies, in one of the sectors. It would be in exactly the state it was saved in and would require work to get up and running (see points above).

This would be awesome beyond measure.

Tynan pls
<insert witty signature here>

Hexxagon

Great idea, but... don´t use a cloud, the game should make these 'dead colony' saves, and the local ones are always used, and the players can upload the saves, if they want, so other users can use them.

+1

Plasmatic

Quote from: Hexxagon on March 19, 2014, 06:40:54 PM
Great idea, but... don�t use a cloud, the game should make these 'dead colony' saves, and the local ones are always used, and the players can upload the saves, if they want, so other users can use them.

+1

Yeah, I second this notion.. Don't use a cloud, allow users to choose to upload colonies, perhaps sometimes you just want to mess around with some mechanics and make a very strange base.. do you really want that to appear in the cloud?

that, and if everything was sent to a cloud, it would quickly be swarming with different bases and it would soon fill whatever cloud size Tynan chose, that and it would add extra expense..

If we instead go by the user choosing to upload a base, the storage needed would be dramatically reduced, and a system could be in place to delete files older than 3(?) months or so, that way you won't need to expand the storage.

But all these would be far into the future where it may be better to introduce in a sequel to the award winning game Rimworld.. :)

Monkfish

On the contrary, allowing people to upload themselves would dramatically increase the storage required, whereas it being automated (with a low chance of it actually occurring) would not.

Perhaps 0.1 is too low a percentage, but that would be open for debate.
<insert witty signature here>

keylocke

^this sounds a lot like a "succession" game. except via the cloud and it starts after the colony is wiped out.

but how about this? perhaps this forum could one day include a thread in the "stories" section where people can upload links to uploaded files of their saved games, after all of their colonists died? 

or is it possible for these wiped out colonies to generate a modified world seed, that saves their remaining structures in badly damaged status so that players only needed to post their post-apocalyptic world seeds rather than entire savegame files?

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Plasmatic on March 19, 2014, 05:22:30 PM
Quote from: Quasarrgames on March 19, 2014, 04:10:17 PM

Sectors!

I don't think that fits with the theme of the game, after all, you are crashing onto a completely uninhabited world (assume it has been explored, but nothing aside from plant and wild life was found)

But, Personally I think it would add to the game, perhaps you find a hostile colony in another sector? maybe they send raiding parties your way? maybe you can do the same? steal some resources? lay siege to their base?

It opens many options.. but I dont think it fits with the core game story, sadly.

The world will already have a randomly generated world. Its planned. we will also have numerous factions/regions as-well.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Gideon

Quote from: Plasmatic on March 19, 2014, 05:22:30 PM

Actually, the world is inhabited. Judging by the continual patch notes in the blog, there will be raids from off screen rather than landing, and there are tribal communities on the planet already. Seems to be a faction system in the next version as well.