Spacebase DF-9 by Double Fine Productions

Started by Nero, October 15, 2013, 02:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

I am an avid reader of Rock, Paper, Shotgun and they had an article there a few hours ago about a game that was literally just announced (the forum has 3 threads in it!) called Spacebase DF-9. The creator is actually interviewed and mentions Rimworld and PA in it. The game looks really great and it seems very similar to RW, but distinctly different. They want to tell a story, but they're also wanting to do what DF does with their complex systems or so that is how I read it. Check it out.

Game site:
http://spacebasedf9.com/

Article:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/15/revealed-double-fines-sci-fi-dwarf-fortress-spacebase-df-9/

Semmy

Anyone actually bought and tried this game?

i'm a bit sceptical double fine seems to be pooping out games instead of programming them
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Nero

Quote from: Semmy on October 15, 2013, 02:10:38 PM

i'm a bit sceptical double fine seems to be pooping out games instead of programming them

The game has been in development for 7 months... So it seems promising to me. I am going to buy it after I get home from work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkf4l8O7b24

Semmy

Quote from: Nero on October 15, 2013, 02:13:11 PM

The game has been in development for 7 months... So it seems promising to me. I am going to buy it after I get home from work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkf4l8O7b24

ok awsome keep me up to date.

Already got my gaming budget into a pirate king here and talisman for the tablet and steam.

And i might have bought a mint box or railroad 1830 the board game and titan.
And not the remakes but the original ones (-:
Edmund Burke

GC13

Looks nice. I'll definitely have to think about it.

Yarkista

I think I'll buy it once it's a bit more developed.

Hypolite

I played the prototype presented during the Amnesia Fortnight event, it was but a crude game with large imbalances in the gameplay, but it was already interesting. I'm glad that they decided to make it a full-featured game.

I'm not sure what Double Fine did to deserve such a rude opinion, I had nothing but good experiences with DF games. And even if I'm not always fond of the themes, they always managed to add a nice ring to their productions. Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, Psychonauts and Middle Manager of Justice are all nice titles that everyone should try at least once.

The fact that you regularly hear about Double Fine doesn't mean they are rushing anything.

Semmy

Quote from: Hypolite on October 15, 2013, 05:21:13 PM
I played the prototype presented during the Amnesia Fortnight event, it was but a crude game with large imbalances in the gameplay, but it was already interesting. I'm glad that they decided to make it a full-featured game.

I'm not sure what Double Fine did to deserve such a rude opinion, I had nothing but good experiences with DF games. And even if I'm not always fond of the themes, they always managed to add a nice ring to their productions. Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, Psychonauts and Middle Manager of Justice are all nice titles that everyone should try at least once.

The fact that you regularly hear about Double Fine doesn't mean they are rushing anything.

Its not just the amount of games. But a couple of the double fines games i got are labeled for me unplayable.

This is most likely solved.
But they delivered a couple of games with alot of bugs in the beginning. And at the speed they make games atm i would think they should invest a bit more time in there QA instead of releasing this much.

And yes they made some awsome games. But so did the total war series. But it doesnt make it ok to release bad unpolished games.

So in short let them release 50% of there games polished instead of what they do now. and i got almost everything of double fine except psychonauts and this new game
Edmund Burke

Conti027

Nero

Quote from: Conti027 on October 16, 2013, 01:57:25 AM
Just bought it. I'll try it tomorrow.

Awesome. I've yet to buy it because I read on the steam forums that they are only going to be doing monthly updates and just hotfixes in between. I am not a fan of that time stretch in an alpha, so I think I am going to wait for the first update to see if it is worth it.

Yarkista

CustodianV131

Devs doing a learn to play here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZX6PXN1G_E

Looks like their Alpha is not nearly as polished as the Rimworld Alpha at this point, but I do feel the game holds promise for sure.

You do get the Alpha right away, but I think I'll hold off for a few more passes before thinking about getting it. Maybe some Youtubers will prove me wrong, but seems quite rough atm. (Which is fine btw it being Alpha, Rimworld is just spoiling us :D)
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

Conti027

Quote from: Yarkista on October 16, 2013, 11:52:25 AM
So what's the overall first impressions?

Haven't played yet. Having fun on the irc. :)

Britich

My Initial impressions, as those on IRC will know, it holds promise but lacks content so therefore is currently not worth the $25 pricetag.
If you decide to get it, buy it off their website as you will pay more through steam :) atleast you will if you're in the UK.
(not British)

Nero

Das is doing an LP, and I agree. The game looks quite promising, but it still doesn't have enough content to keep the watching. What I like though is that where Rimworld is about individuals and their story within the colony - this is more like DF where the story is about the colony itself and what happens to the whole.