Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about C4/Claymores?

Yes!
4 (36.4%)
No!
7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

ProfessorMangot

Having the ability to defend your colony is an important part of the game, but what I'm suggesting is to add more defense buildings/structures that can be used to defend your colony from raiders or mechanoids.

• Static/Mounted Machine Gun: Basically a MG that can either be an entity that is crewed, or mounted on a sandbag for a better static defense.
  • Spike/Punjii Traps: Spike Traps covered with leaves, that are hidden and can be activated.
If you have any other suggestions post a reply!

TomatoWalrus

There are a few mods that adds more turrets and some defensive structures. In example combat realism adds barbed wire.
Murphys law:
If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.
RimWorld can be an ass sometimes

Wex

Claymore mines.
It's some C4, some shotgun pellets and a detonator linked to a wire.
Pretty bad in close range.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Wex on September 27, 2016, 12:01:14 PM
Claymore mines.
It's some C4, some shotgun pellets and a detonator linked to a wire.
Pretty bad in close range.

Also quite easily homemade from all kind of shrapnell, so its pretty easy and convincing early game tech. Which would greatly reduce your ability to make prisoners ^^
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

JuicyPVP

I think some type of "Tower" would be a good option as well. I know the game is 2d, but you could have it be like the ladder is on a certain side of it, and it adds a bonus for shooting accuracy and a bonus for defense.

JuicyPVP

Or maybe a Bunker if a tower would be too hard to model due to height.

redindy

But we have IED's, why do we need claymores
I was about to make a joke about sodium, but Na

Wex

IED detonates, or burns. That's whildly different from the damage of a claymore mine.
A claymore pelts, in a range of about 100m and inan arc of 60 degrees, a zone with a shotgun blast. The explosion is irrelevant unless you are standing right next to it when it goes off.
Think of it as a one-shot huge shotgun blast.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

carbon

A shotgun shell includes propellant and shrapnel.

An IED includes propellant and shrapnel.

Sooo...?

Quote from: redindy on September 27, 2016, 05:27:52 PM
But we have IED's, why do we need claymores

Wex

You don't get it. It's DIRECTIONAL.
It explodes toward a direction.
It's used IRL for ambushes and to counter ambushes, because it's controllable, you can have the troops relatively close to it and it doesn't affect them.
    Harlan Ellison

Morze

Well, you can make a makeshift claymore from steel bucket, some (plastic)explosive, detonation system and scrap metal irl, so it would be reasonable to include it in a game. Have it have two effects: a very small explosion and a shrapnel effect at target area. As much as I'd like to have the detonation done with a wire and button, but some kind of area trigger is probably easier to code.

asquirrel

I like the bunker for extra cover that pawns can go into.  Some of them can have heavy weapons inside.
I like the tower idea as well. Have it so that you have extra range if you go in but less cover.

deslona

I like this idea, not because of the actual claymore but for what could be done with the mechanic if it were implemented properly.
What is needed:
To be able to set an object with a set 'facing' direction (implemented already with furniture)
To have a 'cone' activation area when a hostile pawn enters the activation zone (not radii)
To have another larger cone area that will fire simultaneous bullets randomly to the maximum range of that cone. some bits will miss, others will pretty much shred the closest standing pawns. I think the games current mechanic works perfectly for this system.

If this were implemented mods could (maybe they can already, I don't know) use it for other traps or opening doors at long range etc.

BetaSpectre

There are mods for these things, the biggest reason why some aren't in atm IMO is because of game balance. Back when the AI wasn't good, and spawning was also really whack.

So it was a requirement to make kill boxes. Now IMO with things like taming zerg swarms are much less an issue.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO